• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So I'm going to be making a thing.

It's close to how I want it and yes the license plate recess is off center because I goofed lol. I will be able to have everything cut with a CNC laser thanks to a guy I met at Cola Warrior. 

IMG_5381.JPG

IMG_5382.JPG

Also what is this?

IMG_5311.PNG

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

Looks good man, 3/16 or 1/4. I chosed to go with a 4x8 1/4 tube so I had an air storage for my on board air, just in case I had a flat or someone else or needed air in air bags. But I hardly use it and you can just buy a little portable compressor to do that with anyway. At least you got someone on board with you helping and getting involved. :thumb1:

I'm trying to figure out how the impact sensor pic ended up in this post. I asked about that in a different thread over a week ago lol.

3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Looks good man, 3/16 or 1/4. I chosed to go with a 4x8 1/4 tube so I had an air storage for my on board air, just in case I had a flat or someone else or needed air in air bags. But I hardly use it and you can just buy a little portable compressor to do that with anyway. At least you got someone on board with you helping and getting involved. :thumb1:

I'm going with 3/16" for most of it but will be using 3/8" in some places for increased structural strength.

4 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Cool, would it give you all the sizes for pieces and angles. 

Yes, it even tells you how much material you will need. Your able able to fine tune things and experiment with dimensions and angles until your happy with the end result.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The_Hammer said:

I've spent the last week trying to learn how to use CAD to design my bumper. So far this is what I have.

IMG_5425.PNG

IMG_5424.PNG

IMG_5419.PNG

IMG_5420.PNG

IMG_5418.PNG

That looks pretty dam good for just learning.  Very impressive.

Been 3D modeling for a few years & have been using autocad since the mid 80's

L8tr

D

• Like 1

On 11/7/2017 at 7:47 PM, SilverMoose said:

That looks pretty dam good for just learning.  Very impressive.

Been 3D modeling for a few years & have been using autocad since the mid 80's

L8tr

D

Thanks. I've really taken an interest in this and find it enjoyable.

Another night of not being able to sleep so I made this. IMG_5439.PNG.efea9180d84377e2a443f1c392b54584.PNGIMG_5437.PNG.93ce520974066647f0a93db3fd7be198.PNG

Surprisingly that damn thing was a PITA to make lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SilverMoose said:

I bet that was and looks great. I'm going to check out Onshape this weekend. I've been looking for something to use at home.  We use Rhino at work which is great and not too expensive. Only 900 bucks but if I can get something for nothing...HELL YEA :thumbup2:

L8tr

D

It's a browser based program so there's nothing to download. The free version is full featured but everything you make is public. It's not an issue for me but I'm also not designing something that could be the next big thing lol.

20 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Personally I like your first design.

I like the first one better than the second but the third one is my favorite. 

53DC80E1-F94E-4FA7-9A5E-05A28DBCBD2A.jpeg

5A4BB65B-0707-45EE-9FB7-FC1A4CD29C4D.jpeg

The guy who is cutting this out for me encouraged me to push myself and see what I could do. He said small, intricate cuts are cake with a CNC laser so feel free to go wild and design whatever I want.

It’s been about two weeks since I started playing around with CAD software for the first time in my life and I’m not ashamed to say I’m damn pround of myself for designing this thing.

Edited by The_Hammer

• Owner
8 hours ago, The_Hammer said:

The guy who is cutting this out for me encouraged me to push myself and see what I could do. He said small, intricate cuts are cake with a CNC laser so feel free to go wild and design whatever I want.

This might be true but the strength of the bump will not be as strong. 

Less cuts and welding is going to produce a stronger bumper. But what am I say the OEM bumper is so weak you can dent it just pushing firewood rounds out of the bed. :doh:

i have to disagree Mike, the more cuts and gussets the stronger it should be. but it also makes for better change to be twisted when welding it together unless you have a jig to hold everything straight. lots of tac welds before stitching and finish welding. 

Are you going to incorporate any steps? how about backup lights? or D-ring attachments points?

• Owner
11 hours ago, Killer223 said:

but it also makes for better change to be twisted when welding it together

That I've seen happen too... Where welding together and it turns into a warped mess.

11 hours ago, Killer223 said:

i have to disagree Mike, the more cuts and gussets the stronger it should be.

Might be... But who am I to judge I'm a bird crap welder anyways... Maybe that's why my stuff breaks easy... :sofa: