• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dead Pedal (I know it's been done to death but mine seems a bit different)

TooTallCTD

• Owner

On 11/10/2017 at 5:46 AM, TooTallCTD said:

This is the first cold morning I've had since the "fix". What could relate this problem to cold weather?

Double check that alternator. I've seen alternators fail in short amounts of time. It could be the heavy draw of the grid heaters causing the alternator noise level to rise too high causing the dead pedal. 

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Double check that alternator. I've seen alternators fail in short amounts of time. It could be the heavy draw of the grid heaters causing the alternator noise level to rise too high causing the dead pedal. 

Checked the alternator it's good. Putting out .010-.012. A bad grid heater wouldn't cause this would it. Looking more and more like a ECM for me. 

Would having the ECM flashed help?

Edited by TooTallCTD

I've been doing some more reading and what do you think about it potentially being the fuel control actuator?

Also I'm trying to get in touch with a friend of mine to see if he has a live data tool as I do not. 

Edited by TooTallCTD

I also keep reading that something in the transmission could cause this problem. Mine is an automatic and was recently rebuilt and I wasn't having these problems until I got it back. What is in the trans that could cause this issue?

I ask because I just left to go to the gas station and on the way back it started the problem on a hill. After it finally finished it's episode it wouldn't down shift to first on it's on or when I did it. So I had to back down the hill and get a running go to climb it. 

Edited by TooTallCTD

I tried unhooking the wires to my intake heater yesterday just to see if it helped with it out of the system. After I unhooked the wires I turned the ignition on and the fuel pump was only working at a third of the speed as usual and my Edge Evolution couldn't communicate through my OBD port. The screen said to make sure the ignition was on like it wasn't getting a signal from the ECM. Do the wires connected to the grid heater double as signal wires for the ECM?

Wasn't able to work on the truck for a few days, but I got to tinker a bit today and got what I hope to be some valuable information. The issue will consistently present itself at about 1800 rpm in drive but not in park or neutral. So I did this a few times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Now as you can imagine doing this raised my trans temp pretty quick as it wasn't able to shift. Once the trans got to 185+ the problem was consistent from idle onwards in drive and reverse. I didn't test in reverse at 1800 rpm but I'm assuming the same results. So this leads me to believe it is in the trans. Any ideas guys?

Edited by TooTallCTD

• 2 weeks later...

So I did a little research on output speed sensors and their symptoms of failing. One of those symptoms was the cruise control not working. With my dead pedal issue if I have cruise control engaged it will knock the cruise out when the issue starts. With that information do you think this could be my issue?

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond back. Work and the holidays have been keeping me mighty busy.

Edited by TooTallCTD

While I was doing the testing in the driveway last night I got my trans temp up to 250-275 so the trans temp warning light flashed on my dash. After this happened the dead pedal went away completely. I shut the truck down and let it cool to 230 then I went for a drive. It did the normal limp mode shifts for a overheated trans until it cooled then everything was fine. I drove the truck for close to 2 hours and the problem never came back. Then I jump in the truck this morning to go to work and the problem is back and I can't get out of the driveway. Starting to think the thing is just possessed. :ahhh: