Jump to content

Recommended Posts

jealous of is.   

 

 

what did you pay is what I want to know.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is amazing is how we spent bookoo thousands of dollars to get to the power levels these things have stock now and still get the same fuel mileage. Every time i get behind the wheel of a newer diesel with a big trailer on them no matter the brand it amazes me how much power they have now, absolutely no comparison to the days of the 5.9's even if modded.

I really have no use for the power of a diesel anymore but will keep my 05 for a while yet. If I were to have ever gone newer I would not get anything newer than a 2012 Cummins to avoid the mess of the SCR "Def Fluid" emissions system.

Edited by Wild and Free

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the newer DEF trucks are much better for the engine than the older DPF only ones.

unless you are deleting, i'd get a DEF truck if i felt like spending the money.

and with the way my 08 is treating me. it might be sooner than later.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

the newer DEF trucks are much better for the engine than the older DPF only ones.

unless you are deleting, i'd get a DEF truck if i felt like spending the money.

and with the way my 08 is treating me. it might be sooner than later.

Deleted is what I was referring to. You having issues with your 08?

Edited by Wild and Free

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

What is amazing is how we spent bookoo thousands of dollars to get to the power levels these things have stock now and still get the same fuel mileage. Every time i get behind the wheel of a newer diesel with a big trailer on them no matter the brand it amazes me how much power they have now, absolutely no comparison to the days of the 5.9's even if modded.

 

And the best thing is you can still have an actual conversation in the cab without having to yell over the engine noise.

 

nice truck @TFaoro I know if I was to rely on my truck for my everyday bread and butter it would be in a 4th gen. 

Edited by 01cummins4ever
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know much about newer diesel with all the emissions stuff, but if I was looking for a newer truck that would be it. Body style color pretty much everything. Would like to know MPG comparison in real life. Is there any major issues with these, like vp on 2nd gens, I know injectors could be a problem. How many miles people get out of these, there's got to be someone with high mileage on one of these. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol you put the 2nd gen plates on it???  lmaoooo it is the same color I guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the newer CR injectors are a lot better then the first iteration of them. i've seen several people on other forums well over 800K on them, and even more above 500K. the newer truck have the filtration needed as well.

What seems to be the failure point now is the DEF injector clogging/crystallizing from lack of use. there have been several flashes to the computers to help address the old DEF i the system. as it does have a shelf life.

Everyone seems to think these trucks get 20 mpg. i know my freeway/city driving i get 16. and running 75-80 on flat ground going to Texas best i got was 19.9. and an older one where i never drove over 70.

mine is a 6.7 deleted with a "stock" power tune back in MAY, and the Texas trip was a raceme ultra tune of 7.

mpg.PNG

mega mpg.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Me78569 said:

jealous of is.   

 

 

what did you pay is what I want to know.  

Lots. You got a text. 

12 hours ago, trreed said:

Interior pics......

When I drag it out Friday I'll get a bunch.

12 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

What is amazing is how we spent bookoo thousands of dollars to get to the power levels these things have stock now and still get the same fuel mileage. Every time i get behind the wheel of a newer diesel with a big trailer on them no matter the brand it amazes me how much power they have now, absolutely no comparison to the days of the 5.9's even if modded.

I really have no use for the power of a diesel anymore but will keep my 05 for a while yet. If I were to have ever gone newer I would not get anything newer than a 2012 Cummins to avoid the mess of the SCR "Def Fluid" emissions system.

Agreed with the power. It's impressive!

When it comes to deleting, having the SCR isn't a big deal. It's just a couple more blank plugs. The tank and everything can stay in the truck. The injector / sensors stay in the exhaust when removed. 

10 hours ago, 01cummins4ever said:

And the best thing is you can still have an actual conversation in the cab without having to yell over the engine noise.

 

nice truck @TFaoro I know if I was to rely on my truck for my everyday bread and butter it would be in a 4th gen. 

Yes I can hear myself think! No screaming turbo when cruising down the road, although when I ride with the girlfriend sometimes I miss the loud turbo :lol: 

7 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I don't know much about newer diesel with all the emissions stuff, but if I was looking for a newer truck that would be it. Body style color pretty much everything. Would like to know MPG comparison in real life. Is there any major issues with these, like vp on 2nd gens, I know injectors could be a problem. How many miles people get out of these, there's got to be someone with high mileage on one of these. 

I'll see how it does towing Friday. Starting with a fresh tank and running 120 or so miles with an empty 25ft tandem dual gooseneck and 120 with the trailer loaded. 

4 hours ago, trreed said:

lol you put the 2nd gen plates on it???  lmaoooo it is the same color I guess

As long as I don't get pulled over!

4 hours ago, Killer223 said:

the newer CR injectors are a lot better then the first iteration of them. i've seen several people on other forums well over 800K on them, and even more above 500K. the newer truck have the filtration needed as well.

What seems to be the failure point now is the DEF injector clogging/crystallizing from lack of use. there have been several flashes to the computers to help address the old DEF i the system. as it does have a shelf life.

Everyone seems to think these trucks get 20 mpg. i know my freeway/city driving i get 16. and running 75-80 on flat ground going to Texas best i got was 19.9. and an older one where i never drove over 70.

mine is a 6.7 deleted with a "stock" power tune back in MAY, and the Texas trip was a raceme ultra tune of 7.

 

How do you like the raceme ultra?? I've been looking into tuning mine myself. I have a hard time letting someone else build tunes when I can do it myself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Yes I can hear myself think! No screaming turbo when cruising down the road, although when I ride with the girlfriend sometimes I miss the loud turbo :lol: 

Imma tell her....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TFaoro said:

How do you like the raceme ultra?? I've been looking into tuning mine myself. I have a hard time letting someone else build tunes when I can do it myself!

I really like it's functionality, but it's not very easy on the eyes. where the edge for gauges is nice to look at.

the tuning software is much easier than the EFI live i was toying with.

i know there are people here that can help you with tuning ideas,

i like being able to control the fan lockup for AC, high idle options, cruse control options, all the tuning tables one can adjust are nice, really nice.

SO i flash my tunes, then hook the Edge back up for gauges as it a lot better to look at, and i have a backup camera that uses my edge for a screen.

i also like the fact i get 4 vin licenses, i can take this with me to my next truck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, trreed said:

Imma tell her....

I'mma sell MY second compound kit to someone else. 

4 hours ago, Killer223 said:

I really like it's functionality, but it's not very easy on the eyes. where the edge for gauges is nice to look at.

the tuning software is much easier than the EFI live i was toying with.

i know there are people here that can help you with tuning ideas,

i like being able to control the fan lockup for AC, high idle options, cruse control options, all the tuning tables one can adjust are nice, really nice.

SO i flash my tunes, then hook the Edge back up for gauges as it a lot better to look at, and i have a backup camera that uses my edge for a screen.

i also like the fact i get 4 vin licenses, i can take this with me to my next truck.

I consider deleting it more and more every day.....

Do you know some people who have tuned 4th gens? Specifically the trans? I'm confident I can make the engine run the way I want it to, but I want the trans to stay reliable. I don't plan on taking the power up - just deleting the emissions and tuning the trans to shift better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you can tune it with the raceme ultra and warp tuning software.

I know my know my trans guy Fred Swanson, and from talking to him they have good success tuning them but sometimes the 4-5-6 shifts can be rather harsh, almost to the point of chirping the tires. i know he works closely with Calibrated addiction.

 

i'd bet if you are nice to it, and played with the tunes, you could get it where you need it to be.

raceme-trans.png

download the warp software, it gives you demo files to play with, you can see for your self how much you can adjust. its crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2017 at 2:56 PM, Killer223 said:

you can tune it with the raceme ultra and warp tuning software.

I know my know my trans guy Fred Swanson, and from talking to him they have good success tuning them but sometimes the 4-5-6 shifts can be rather harsh, almost to the point of chirping the tires. i know he works closely with Calibrated addiction.

 

i'd bet if you are nice to it, and played with the tunes, you could get it where you need it to be.

raceme-trans.png

download the warp software, it gives you demo files to play with, you can see for your self how much you can adjust. its crazy.

I downloaded and have been playing with the software. It's all pretty similar to the old UDC. I don't know what some of the tables do, but hopefully I can do some research and figure out what they control and the outcomes of changing them. 

 

My brother just bought the dongle for UDC Pro RT, so I'll be playing with that shortly. It's very similar to the WARP tuning, so that'll get me familiar with it. 

 

On 11/1/2017 at 3:40 PM, Dieselfuture said:

I don't know much about newer diesel with all the emissions stuff, but if I was looking for a newer truck that would be it. Body style color pretty much everything. Would like to know MPG comparison in real life. Is there any major issues with these, like vp on 2nd gens, I know injectors could be a problem. How many miles people get out of these, there's got to be someone with high mileage on one of these. 

MPG is NOT good stock. I'll pull the fuel logs and post them up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2017 at 3:40 PM, Dieselfuture said:

I don't know much about newer diesel with all the emissions stuff, but if I was looking for a newer truck that would be it. Body style color pretty much everything. Would like to know MPG comparison in real life. Is there any major issues with these, like vp on 2nd gens, I know injectors could be a problem. How many miles people get out of these, there's got to be someone with high mileage on one of these. 

So real MPG isn't good towing. 

30ft gooseneck weighing 7K on the way up and 11 or 12K on the way back. 250 miles and a whopping 11.49mpg. 

I'm going to fill up tomorrow with 350 miles of 50 - 50 city and highway. The dash says 16.5, so it's probably somewhere around there.

IMG_20171103_133042203.jpg.1a22d4aa137b859c5c785926ca90fdd6.jpg

 

Also had a little issue with the tires not being balanced,so I popped the beads and put in some balancing beads. 

IMG_20171122_205451135.jpg.7d63dde01a511b162341012034291b22.jpg

Edited by TFaoro
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it's still not horrible, more fancy more money, just how it usually is. Plus more cubic inches, and a heavier truck. I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually to be in a happy spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Well it's still not horrible, more fancy more money, just how it usually is. Plus more cubic inches, and a heavier truck. I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually to be in a happy spot.

I'm not complaining too much - once the emissions disappears it should improve some. 

I filled up twice today. 350 miles of 50/50 city highway turned out to be 16 on the dot, and 190 miles of 90% highway running 80mph+ turned out to be 18 on the dot. Not too shabby unloaded! Need to go buy DEF for it though. Ugh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard a rumor that the next generation of Cummin engines will not use DEF. This is all still rumor but I'm hopeful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Yeah, it's because it will be Electric lol.

Imagine an elect. moded truck owned by Dieselfuture....He'd plug in at night and we wouldn't be able to see the front door to our own house with the amount of power draw. lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×