• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tyler's 4th Gen

TFaoro

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Can you explain that... :think:

When the truck has a DEF issue, it'll pop up with a message that you have 200 miles until it goes into a 5mph limp mode. Now if you keep the truck running it'll keep going past 200 without an issue. If you shut it down, it could get stuck in limp mode. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Looks good!

Can the '14's add gauges to the left side of the EVIC like the '17's? I put boost/eb hp on my dads truck. Nice little feature. 

I don't believe so. I went through the dash setup when I first bought it and don't remember it being in there. I'm curious now though, so I'll check and grab some pictures for @Me78569 while I'm at it. 

1 hour ago, jlbayes said:

So is this deleted yet?

Negative.... Waiting to get the 2nd gen back from paint before this one can go in for the pan gasket. If I delete it they'll void the warranty and won't fix the pan. I did however unplug the EGR so that crap would stop going in the motor. It threw a CEL, but I've yet to notice any other effects - power seems the same, DEF usage seems the same, no active regens, etc. 

I still need to buy an EGR delete kit, WARP tuning license, RaceMe license, race pipes or full exhaust, gut the CCV filter and re-route it to the ground, etc. In the meantime the 2nd gen is sucking money for its body work. 

@AH64ID have you ever watched the rail pressure on one of these 4th gens when coasting / engine braking?

Just now, AH64ID said:

I haven't.

Hmm. I'm curious if it's normal for the rail pressure to bounce from 15K to 26K. As long as the engine is being pushed by the trans it jumps to 26K then drops to 15K then back to 26K (in the matter of 1 second or less) over and over until it drops to idle then sits at 6K or so. 

• Staff
On 2/27/2018 at 10:05 AM, TFaoro said:

Hmm. I'm curious if it's normal for the rail pressure to bounce from 15K to 26K. As long as the engine is being pushed by the trans it jumps to 26K then drops to 15K then back to 26K (in the matter of 1 second or less) over and over until it drops to idle then sits at 6K or so. 

I don't see anything in the stock tables that would call for that. The highest rail pressure on a table with engine braking is around 14K, and that's above 3K rpms. Most of the time it looks like you should be between 7-12K while coasting/engine braking. 

There is one tablet that calls for 11-17K, but that's still not as high as you're seeing. I'm wondering if it's a regen table. 

That could be a FCA? The 26K is likely the HPRV in the rail opening. 

But I haven't watched one to know for sure. Maybe post it up on a forum with a few more 4th gens?

22 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I don't see anything in the stock tables that would call for that. The highest rail pressure on a table with engine braking is around 14K, and that's above 3K rpms. Most of the time it looks like you should be between 7-12K while coasting/engine braking. 

There is one tablet that calls for 11-17K, but that's still not as high as you're seeing. I'm wondering if it's a regen table. 

That could be a FCA? The 26K is likely the HPRV in the rail opening. 

But I haven't watched one to know for sure. Maybe post it up on a forum with a few more 4th gens?

If it is regen, it should be passive as I haven't seen a message about regen yet. I wouldn't think it's in passive regen 100% of the time though. (It's done this since I plugged the RaceMe in.)

It was doing this before I pulled the EGR plug as well, so I know it's not that. 

I'll post it over on CF and see if they have any idea what's going on?

• Staff
20 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

If it is regen, it should be passive as I haven't seen a message about regen yet. I wouldn't think it's in passive regen 100% of the time though. (It's done this since I plugged the RaceMe in.)

It was doing this before I pulled the EGR plug as well, so I know it's not that. 

I'll post it over on CF and see if they have any idea what's going on?

You won't ever see a regen message unless the DPF gets too full and a regen hasn't been able to occur. IIRC that's around 80% full on the DPF

Passive regen is simply that the driving conditions allow for high enough EGT's to clean the DPF

Active regen is anytime there is additional fuel being injected into the exhaust stroke to increase EGT's, this is the main way the DPF gets cleaned. 

I've read mixed reviews on pulling the EGR plug on a 13+, how's it working out?

What's your DEF usage like? My dad and I did 1500 miles in his '17 and went thru about 1/3 of a tank, and then topped it off at a trucks stop with a DEF pump. 800 miles later he says the gauge still hasn't moved off of full. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I've read mixed reviews on pulling the EGR plug on a 13+, how's it working out?

Everything seems to be fine. I've only put 100 miles or so on it since unplugging it though. This one mostly sits... I think I've put 2K on it since I bought it in October. I'm curious to see if the mileage will increase at all considering the EGR is very active - 37% or so while at cruize, 60%+ while idling, and 8-10% while towing. 

58 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

What's your DEF usage like? My dad and I did 1500 miles in his '17 and went thru about 1/3 of a tank, and then topped it off at a trucks stop with a DEF pump. 800 miles later he says the gauge still hasn't moved off of full. 

It has been drinking def pretty fast.... I'm not sure what its deal is but I'll see if it changes with the EGR unplugged

• Staff
45 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Everything seems to be fine. I've only put 100 miles or so on it since unplugging it though. This one mostly sits... I think I've put 2K on it since I bought it in October. I'm curious to see if the mileage will increase at all considering the EGR is very active - 37% or so while at cruize, 60%+ while idling, and 8-10% while towing. 

I think the EGR itself is smaller than early 6.7's, so it may not be all that much anyhow. I know it moves enough less EGR that the intakes don't get as nasty with soot. 

46 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

It has been drinking def pretty fast.... I'm not sure what its deal is but I'll see if it changes with the EGR unplugged

Have you topped it off with a pump yet? I get the impression the middle of the gauge moves very quick. 

2 hours ago, AH64ID said:

I think the EGR itself is smaller than early 6.7's, so it may not be all that much anyhow. I know it moves enough less EGR that the intakes don't get as nasty with soot. 

I've seen some very nasty looking intakes. I guess I'll find out how bad it is when I delete it.... or when the grid heater bolt drops and ruins a piston. 

2 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Have you topped it off with a pump yet? I get the impression the middle of the gauge moves very quick. 

I did fill it (2 gallon jug) until it was overflowing and it still seemed to come down fast. I'm not sure what determines how much is injected.

• Staff
On 3/2/2018 at 1:07 PM, TFaoro said:

I've seen some very nasty looking intakes. I guess I'll find out how bad it is when I delete it.... or when the grid heater bolt drops and ruins a piston. 

Is that on 13+ or the 07.5-12's?

On 3/2/2018 at 1:07 PM, TFaoro said:

I did fill it (2 gallon jug) until it was overflowing and it still seemed to come down fast. I'm not sure what determines how much is injected.

I understand that it's directly related to fuel, so high mpg = low def usage. 

On 3/4/2018 at 9:09 AM, AH64ID said:

Is that on 13+ or the 07.5-12's?

Both. Just looking through the forums.

I understand that it's directly related to fuel, so high mpg = low def usage. 

Hmmm I'm not sure if mine is out of calibration or what. My hay hauler drags around a 30 foot tandem dual gooseneck with 300 bales of hay on it averaging 11mpg or so and he uses less than I do. 

250 mile trip this saturday with this trailer through the winding mountains. 13.5mpg, which isn't too bad with the weight and terrain. For reference, the last trip I took with a trailer half the length and only two snowmobiles I only got 12.5mpg. To me this says the EGR alone is decreasing mileage. (More of a reason to delete!)

IMG_20180304_103746696.jpg.0ddd6bb39d37bc6c6944f6933530a8f2.jpg

So unplugging the EGR has failed me haha. Sunday I took the snowmobiles to the car wash and couldn't get full boost and power was obviously down. Boost would spike to 20psi then back down to 17 - 18psi. So I'll plug it in until the warranty stuff is fixed and delete it. 

Edited by TFaoro

On 3/6/2018 at 8:28 PM, AH64ID said:

If you're going to the dealer may as well have them check it for updates. Maybe there is something for high DEF usage. 

Maybe it has a software update? Either way when it goes in they'll take care of the shifter recall and fix the pan. They should check everything over while it's in. 

On 3/6/2018 at 8:28 PM, AH64ID said:

Maybe it needs some highway miles to fully clean stuff out? 

I took your advice and drove it to work - it didn't seem to change the DEF usage much. Maximum DPF pressure differential was 1.09psi at 2700rpm and WOT - so it seems the exhaust is pretty clean. 

I did watch the rail pressure bouncing much closer both on the drive up and the drive home (50 miles each way)

The rail pressure only bounces for the first 20min or so of driving. It doesn't seem to be related to engine temp in any was as it was up to 195 in less than 10min. I also noticed it is the ECM is calling for that pressure bounce. It peaks at 26106.8 then drops. No as time goes along, the "low" side of the pressure bounce gets lower and lower until it stops calling for the peak pressure. I'll start digging through the maps to see if I can find a reason the ECM is calling for it. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Got tired of the horrible mileage and choking the engine with exhaust.... I'm attempting to get @Me78569 to follow suit!

Delete.jpg.1780e87ae55b3d90c96731143f4ffdab.jpg

Hopefully picking up the EGR delete kit tonight. (Depending on if @trreed can get me the pan gasket)

5" exhaust with muffler should be here Wednesday

Pan gasket will be here this week one way or another. 

Hopefully everything will be done by the weekend. 

• Like 1