• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Valve Cover Gasket Leak

32 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

Your phone ripped the quailty making it hard to see exactly what is leaking. Yes people have blown head gaskets with studs. How were the studs installed? One at a time or with a new gasket? Was it you or a shop that installed them? There is an oil galley right where that leak is at iirc. Or it is a drain. I will look at mine this weekend when I pull the head.

@jlbayes  I installed the studs myself. I installed each one one at a time. I then torqued them in three different sequences up to 125 pounds.  It is still the stock head gasket in my truck only sees about 40 pounds of boost on occasion. I believe it is number 25 had come completely loose?....  with that stay coming loose I believe it allowed separation between the head  with the oil pouring out I believe it caused a major void in the gasket.  What do you guys think is that a good hunch? 

Current situation... the 6.0 comes in to save the trip... this is bassakwards?

3AB13D04-F20E-4D36-9935-2C64A0C33E07.jpeg

4 hours ago, Haggar said:

DF!!!!

This sentence made my day!!! I lost a whole cup of coffee!  (most on the monitor, some in the lap...)

This is past the 6 degrees of separation... so were you the friend?  did you know him?  lol   I am still laughing! 

Cheers!

Hag

We'll just leave it at that...:cheers:

• Haha 1

Alright guys I am back from the trip. I have read @Dieselfuture‘s post regarding his HG job and I’ll be doing the same. Now I am also considering a turbo but and not constrained to a HX30 down pipe. What are your guys thoughts? I talked to Zach already and he recommended an S300g however I gave DAP a call and they recommended a S300SX-E. 

I want mid 400’s with an option to upgrade down the rd. It’s my daily driver, sees a 10K trailer once a month. I want reliable power. 

What turbo do do you guys recommend? There are quite a few options and I cannot find a clear winner “yet” haha

The s300 is a good choice for what you're looking for.  It's a 57mm turbo, so 3 mm bigger than stock.  If you want to have room to grow, a 62/65/12 is a good turbo that will support 500 hp, and since you have the v2 tuning, you can rewrite your tunes to help it spool closer to how your current hx35 spools.

Edited by trreed
  • Thanks 1

How serious are you about wanting room to grow beyond 400 hp?  That's really the determining factor on which turbo to get. 

If you want to stay around 400 hp, the s300g is your best bet, and you might consider looking into a 12cm housing to help with spooling. 

If you're interested in getting to 450-500 hp in the foreseeable future, then you want to look at the 62/65/12.

Edited by trreed
  • Thanks 1

Did you lose a bolt for injector hold down, and yeah it looks like part of gasket got pushed up by oil pressure. Hopefully no damage to rocker assembly from oil starvation. When you clean the block careful not to drop anything down them oil holes. When you fire up engine all that junk will get pushed up to rocker. I was going to use some golfing tees but forgot when I did mine, and also was afraid to brake one off in a hole, maybe that's why I forgot too. They have some nice poly tees they bend and not break, just a thought. Good luck. 

Also if you take head in to clean and surface, when you get it back blow air through all passages to make sure no crap in there.

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, trreed said:

Yeah I discovered that same trick after I had #5 intake rocker pull out of the head....  Good thing the threads are tapped further than the bolts thread into!

Yeah after your heart drops you go.... “oh thank goodness” lol.

https://www.full-race.com/store/diesel-turbos/borgwarner-s300g-upgrade-turbo-for-cummins-5-9-engines/

What do you guys think of this deal?