• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Valve Cover Gasket Leak

Looks much better than mine did, all hone marks are nice. If nothing visual jumps at you I'd say just clean good and put it all back. Ran fine before right, just oil leak. As long as head checks out. I never trust anyone with parts and before taking in my head in i made few small markings on the head just so I knew I was getting mine back. Heard of some getting news like yours is junk need new one. 

Usually people check both the block and head for levelness to avoid wasting another head gasket if either the head or the block is warped.  And while the head is getting checked most people have the shop look at their exhaust valve seats and have a valve job done, in addition to checking the head for cracks.  Since you're only at 73k, it's unlikely that you have these issues but is still possible.

3 hours ago, JDHudsn said:

@Dieselfuture don’t think I need to have the head machined?

Any head been on the engine and even new usually need some shaving. I bought a set of Victor junior once, said bolt on out of the box and waisted a set of head gaskets. Put it all together and was about to fire it up and noticed antifreeze under the car on closer observation had a leak between block ad head, took it to machine shop to find out it was way warped, they took 20 thousands off:thud: and also half the valve guides were too tight. Later found out someone I knew did same thing and bent a rod with same heads on start up, antifreeze was in a cylinder when he fired it up for first time. He argued with edelbroke for few months then gave up. You probably be OK just cleaning head and block but it's your call. I would at least have them surface head, and maybe pull few exhaust valves to check seats and looseness on guides. But I also seen guys using an air gun to put heads on and be OK somehow. You know you get a feel for it after using it few times...... it's same guys that seem to know it all lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys I have been putting in a few hrs here and there when I can. Got around to cleaning the head and the block in preparation to put the new head gasket on and found this guy... this is on cylinder 1. Time for a new head, or what???:mad:

88FA56A9-9DA7-48D7-9998-5A9D79142930.jpeg

2EE473D4-8FEF-4653-820D-0132CCAEDDAF.jpeg

I took it while it was “dirty” to be checked for flatness and it was good. However in the shops “30 second” inspection they missed this. I’ve done some short reading I guess cracks in the exhaust side are common?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! 

Thank you

I don't want to advise you to run it the way it is but I think it should be fine for a while. It's not cracked to water passage. Eventually it will probably get worse but you may get another 100k out of it the way it is. Tough call, talk with a good machine shop. Once it gets to the valve it will act like a torch and crack will get bigger.