• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

was getting ready to change my 99's front pads. i have noticed the inside pad(the one with the piston on it) wears significantly faster than the outer. went to the part house and notice his screen said the pads he was selling me are 7500gvw and my truck is 8800gvw. he did not have ones listed for 8800 and when he check 1ton he also got 7500 and 10500. are the 7500 ok? i mean they fit(as its most likely what i've put in the last 2 times).

rockauto.com lists a 8800 and even 8500...guess that kinda answers that question.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

it seems some places have 8800gvw as only 4X4. they look similar. will find out:rolleyes:

What does your rotor look like? If the rotor is bad you should think about upgrading to third gen brakes, it may also explain why one pas is wearing faster than the other. I bought two calipers from a 2005 at a junk yard for $70 (for both) and then put 3rd gen rotors and pads on. It makes for a lot more braking power.

I remember they asked me about that too. The sticker on the door says 8800, I wouldn't settle for anything less. You'll probably be fine, might wear out faster, have a little less stopping power when towing.

Might want to check out advanced auto

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/home___

15% off and free shipping over $75

Chris

was getting ready to change my 99's front pads. i have noticed the inside pad(the one with the piston on it) wears significantly faster than the outer. went to the part house and notice his screen said the pads he was selling me are 7500gvw and my truck is 8800gvw. he did not have ones listed for 8800 and when he check 1ton he also got 7500 and 10500. are the 7500 ok? i mean they fit(as its most likely what i've put in the last 2 times).

rockauto.com lists a 8800 and even 8500...guess that kinda answers that question.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

it seems some places have 8800gvw as only 4X4. they look similar. will find out:rolleyes:

• Owner

Geez... Someday I might do my first brake pad change...:stuned: (167K on the clock) Yeap... i'm still running the factory brake pads from the day I bought the truck... Never changed them yet... Usually when pads start to wear weird or uneven you can bet money there is a caliper slide pin or a piston that is binding up and causing this pattern... Every other time I bleed my brake system I pull the calipers apart and wash and re-assemble them making sure there is no binding pistons and the slide pins are lubed up good. :thumbup2:

well i didn't have time to do a caliper rebuild(have to splice in 2hrs). slapped some new pads in there and greased those pins really good.post-98-138698165391_thumb.jpgi got the 8800lbs. almost every place had them listed as 4X4. i actually gave them the part # of the ones i wanted. i'm 95% sure the old ones are 7500lb-ers. i thought about letting it ride for a little while...but why have new parts, when they're not on your truck, right?

Looks like the calipers were binding up a bit being the shoes are un-even in wear...

x2, that was my first thought when he said the piston side wore faster. I had the same problem on the rear brakes of my Freightliner. I float shift for up shifts and down shifts, and I am not big on hitting the brakes, so the lack of use causes me problems. Any ways, I put never seize on the sliders, so far so good.

the pins were completely dry when i checked it...i have a lot of front end work coming up and will most likely get new seals for the calibers and do it then. but for now the occasional squeak is gone and pins are lubed, and pads that are rated for my truck!

Mine were doing the same thing. Wearing on the piston side quicker. Put a new set on from AutoZone (Lifetime) and pads (Lifetime) (on my 3rd setsince owning the truck) and lubed the slider pins and no problem since! I wouldn't settle for the lower weighted pads either!