• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

No matter what that transmission is coming out and being fully inspected for damage and clean all the debris out of it. Get enough junk in the oil holes for the bearing either will plug the oil holes up and ruin the bearings or enough small debris makes into the bearings and ruins the bearings either way that transmission is coming out to be cleaned up.

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...
  • Owner

Did you upgrade the main shaft too? 

IIRC the torque on the 5th gear nut is in the range of 500-600 foot pounds on the upgraded shaft. You might look it up and make sure it torqued properly. Way too many video out there of guys beating the nut back on with a hammer and chisel. For sure not the way to do this job. :doh:

I changed my fluid for the first time (yes, ever. still was the original 1999 fluid) at ~195-200k miles. Came out looking like metallic gold paint. Figured it would be a little normal for having that much mileage, so I just bought 6 quarts of the Mopar PN for the original stuff and filled it back up. I recently made my own short shift kit, and during that, I noticed the fluid is now a very dark gray, but not very metallic (216k). Probably going to change it again soon, but I don't want to spend $150 either. What fluids are out there (or link to other forums) that are sure not to rip the things apart, aside from the Delvac SAE 50W that's been tested? I don't really beat on it or "speed shift" since the engine is bone stock except for an intake and exhaust.

• Owner
12 minutes ago, jathanmentzer said:

Delvac SAE 50W that's been tested?

Any of the Synthetic 50w SAE GL-4 is fine. I'm closing in on the 100k miles on the Delvac no issues to report as of yet. 

Now I know that AMSOil has a flavor of Synthetic Oil for the NV4500 I know @AH64ID would know. 

75w-90 gear lube is also fine ONLY if its GL-4. If its GL-5 it will wipe out the carbon fiber syncros. 

• Owner
19 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

What's funny is if you go to get it, almost all sale people will say we have gl5 but it covers all previous ones. 

That's the problem right there. I ran around forever trying to find 75w-90 without GL-5. 75w-90 GL-4 does not exist around here.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Staff
23 hours ago, jathanmentzer said:

Alright, thanks. I knew there was a certain grade or rating that it would have to be, just wasn't sure what. Might check out the AMSOil.

The Amsoil for the NV4500 is their MTG 75w-90. 

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/manual/manual-transmission-and-transaxle-gear-lube-75w-90/?code=MTGQT-EA

6 qts would be about 2/3 of what you paid for the OEM stuff. Hit me up with a PM if you're interested. 

• Like 1