• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo Upgrade HELP

Ok guys I am having to replace my head gasket and while I’m at it I decided to put in a new turbo..... after a ton of searching I am no further along in my quest to find the turbo I want. With all the sales going on next week I’d like to take advantage of it!!!

-I would like 500 ish horse power

-this is my daily driver

-I tow a 10,000lb horse trailer once every other month

-I’m running a FASS 150

-ARP Head Studs

-HX40 down pipe

-Quadzilla V2 tuning

I’d like to pick the right turbo so I don’t regret my decision down the rd. I am torn between a few turbo sizes...

-S364/68/.70SXE

-S362/65/.70SXE

-S300g (57/60/12)

If you guys guys had the opportunity to start fresh with a new turbo what would you purchase?

Hopefully you guys can help me reach a decision!!

@Silverdodge I actually like the sizing of that turbo. I don’t know how I overlooked the 62/68/12... how do you like the spool up on it and when does the turbo light for you?

Ok I think I have narrowed it down to the two sizes below. Just not sure what size is better for my application now. I don’t want it to be too big and I don’t want to regret not going big enough....?

-62/65/12

-62/68/12 

I will be looking into injectors probably next year. 

Thanks everyone for your input!!

I've run both of those turbos.  I have slightly larger injectors than you do (by a whole half of a thou!).  Currently running the 62/68/12, and with the v2 tuning, spooling after a shift is no problem.  I can get it spooled to 10 psi by 1700 rpm with ~25-30% throttle position as a single.  

If you ask Jacob, he'll say "the SXE line isn't the end all that everyone thought it was" and "the 68mm wheel seems to limit itself to 550 hp", but, it has been a robust turbo for me that has held up to moderate abuse.  

The reason I went to the 62/68 over the 62/65 was to have a bit more top end over the 65 wheel.  Was there any gain?  The butt dyno says there was, and the boost gauge picked up 7 psi at the max.  But the butt dyno isn't necessarily reliable.  Just my experience with it.

Since you tow heavier than I do, you might consider the 65mm wheel to spool *just that* much quicker than the 68 wheel, but the Adrenaline will allow you to spool either turbo relatively easy by adjusting the CANBus percentages.    

Just my thoughts.

• Thanks 1

Yes Zach, I believe it was 800 bucks for him to build me one. They charge around 100 for a core so I kept mine. And just had him send me a turbo, less turnaround time in my case. But you're limited to 3" outlet, if I didn't like my exhaust break I would of went with 4" outlet for better flow.

Edited by Dieselfuture

12 hours ago, JDHudsn said:

@Silverdodge I actually like the sizing of that turbo. I don’t know how I overlooked the 62/68/12... how do you like the spool up on it and when does the turbo light for you?

Ok I think I have narrowed it down to the two sizes below. Just not sure what size is better for my application now. I don’t want it to be too big and I don’t want to regret not going big enough....?

-62/65/12

-62/68/12 

I will be looking into injectors probably next year. 

Thanks everyone for your input!!

I have a non gated 14 and I start to spool around 1700

18 hours ago, trreed said:

I've run both of those turbos.  I have slightly larger injectors than you do (by a whole half of a thou!).  Currently running the 62/68/12, and with the v2 tuning, spooling after a shift is no problem.  I can get it spooled to 10 psi by 1700 rpm with ~25-30% throttle position as a single.  

If you ask Jacob, he'll say "the SXE line isn't the end all that everyone thought it was" and "the 68mm wheel seems to limit itself to 550 hp", but, it has been a robust turbo for me that has held up to moderate abuse.  

The reason I went to the 62/68 over the 62/65 was to have a bit more top end over the 65 wheel.  Was there any gain?  The butt dyno says there was, and the boost gauge picked up 7 psi at the max.  But the butt dyno isn't necessarily reliable.  Just my experience with it.

Since you tow heavier than I do, you might consider the 65mm wheel to spool *just that* much quicker than the 68 wheel, but the Adrenaline will allow you to spool either turbo relatively easy by adjusting the CANBus percentages.    

Just my thoughts.

Leverage of the turbine on the compressor.

• Owner
1 minute ago, jlbayes said:

I already made my recommendation.

On 11/15/2017 at 6:36 AM, jlbayes said:

I would stay away from the 64/68 pairing in your application.

I am another for the 62/65/12 gated. 

:iagree: Listen to these guys they know their stuff. 

Like myself I'm running a 60/60/12 (HX35/40 Hybrid) for the reason of keeping my exhaust brake. I would gladly jump up to a larger turbo if I had the funds for an inline PacBrake. Just for info value the stock HX35W is a 54/60/12...

25 minutes ago, JDHudsn said:

I am looking for reliability and longevity 

Just remember the bigger the HP/TQ goals are the lower the longevity and reliability is going to be.

• Thanks 1