• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo Upgrade HELP

12 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm kind of the same way I hate to spend large amount of money on parts I'm not certain of. I tend to come here and lean on the guys for assistance and helping me pick the right stuff. The neat part is we all learn for each other experiences and know what works and what doesn't work.

Lol wish i was smart enough to ask the experts before i made my purchases 2 twin kits and 3 sets of injectors later.... lesson learned!

On 11/17/2017 at 11:44 PM, Pnwtree said:

Lol wish i was smart enough to ask the experts before i made my purchases 2 twin kits and 3 sets of injectors later.... lesson learned!

6 very different turbo combinations, 3 injector sizes and 4 pumps later. LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys I was trying to install my new turbo and I found this rather interesting. The stock turbo has threaded studs into the turbo flange. The exhaust housing has the other two threaded bolts. Is this normal? I was told usually the exhaust manifold has 4 studs on it...:think:

Ok guys next issue has come up. My new 90* for the S362 is different than my stock one. It’s a shorter bend and a shorter part in overall length.  I cannot use the stock 90 because it twists the turbo (larger compressor housing) so the oil drain is passed 20°s to the side and not level to the world.  Second problem is that they are two different diameters. See pictures attached. 

Option on one I get a coupler that necks down and is a little longer so I can make the connection. But who sell that sort of thing?

Option two I find a different 90* that is a larger diameter and an inch longer but it still has to maintain that sharp 90*.

I have no idea how to solve my problem but I am slowly beating this truck into submission. Persistence is gonna pay off!!!!:burnout::USflag:

459C534D-13A2-47E0-B3D3-900C6F66BCA5.jpeg

2E4F0E77-6E32-4A64-96CA-87AE53DDCAC5.jpeg

A6A47C4D-191D-4724-B41C-B2ED117DBD12.jpeg

Ok guys. Started the truck did the valve adjustments. Checked for leaks all is well. Took the truck for a spin let it get warm. Now ima let it sit overnight and tighten the head studs. Any break in period for the turbos? Or the gasket? I plan on tightening the studs next weekend or so. 

Studs, one at a time completely remove the nut and washer. Relube the stud fine threads, both sides of the washer and the nut. Pull right to arps spec. Make sure the stud is not bottomed out in the block.

Where did the turbo come from? Very odd it came with the smaller discharge. The elbow being shorter I get but not the smaller diameter. Is not a drop in at that point.

I’ll take care of the studs as you said above this afternoon when I get home!! Thank you @jlbayes

Power Driven Diesel was one of the only vendors that I could get to ship to ca. The 90* that came in the kit does don’t fit what so ever... However I found out my stock 90* elbow could work I just had to adjust the Turbo compressor housing a lil. Had no idea I could even do that:whistle2:

@jlbayes how many re-torques can the ARP’s take? I’ve always wondered that. I work in structural steel and they only allow the use of high strength bolts once if it needs to be removed it’s tossed. Granted they are not as much as ARP’s

Edited by JDHudsn

I should say disappointed. I more or less was frustrated with every bump in the rd. With the instillation of the new head and the new turbo. I was burnt out on the project. The turbo is great. Power Driven Diesel has great customer service and great people to deal with to be honest. @Silverdodge

On 12/15/2017 at 12:11 PM, JDHudsn said:

I’ll take care of the studs as you said above this afternoon when I get home!! Thank you @jlbayes

Power Driven Diesel was one of the only vendors that I could get to ship to ca. The 90* that came in the kit does don’t fit what so ever... However I found out my stock 90* elbow could work I just had to adjust the Turbo compressor housing a lil. Had no idea I could even do that:whistle2:

@jlbayes how many re-torques can the ARP’s take? I’ve always wondered that. I work in structural steel and they only allow the use of high strength bolts once if it needs to be removed it’s tossed. Granted they are not as much as ARP’s

I do three on a fresh gasket after the first torque and start up.