• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front oil seal

I have a leak in the front of the engine it's right by the slobber tube but has gone from sitting a week and leaving one drop no bigger than a penny to leaving that overnight.

It appears to increase while running the engine, sometimes... pictures explain more it's got enough oil everywhere that I will have to clean it up somehow to even figure out what is leaking...  

When I replaced the body I cleaned as much as I could around the slobber tube but 340,00ish miles causes quite a caked on mess that needs to be cleaned.

Questions are what would be leaking in there front crank seal or cam seal? If I have to replace either how hard is it I'm extremely busy so if it's fairly intensive I may have a shop do it or... Also recommendations for cleaning the gunk off the front of the engine.  I have been using gunk degreaser and a scrub brush but that still gums upimageproxy.php?img=&key=4d11e5b7ded08803

The larger puddle of oil is from sitting two days then I left it running/warming up for a half hour, I haven't had another puddle of that size yet.  Small drops are overnight and a ten minute warm up

1511723531115296147042.jpg

15117235943841480359279.jpg

1511723608568-2095512384.jpg

Edited by WiscoRedkneck

It could be either the way oil gets blown around the engine bay. Mine were both leaking. Tappet cover leaking will blow all around also. It is not difficult even pulling the bumper, radiator and intercooler. A little time consuming, I spent 3 days working on it on and off. I probably could have cut it to a day a half easy just sticking with it. Getting the seal to start gave me the most problem. As far as cleaning goes, I used degreaser and a small pressure washer, 1600 psi, got it on sale at Harbor Freight for about $70.

Thanks for the thoughts I don't know if it's the crank seal for sure as the damper seams dryer then what is above it if that makes any sense...   I will get in there and see if I can make a better determination.  If it helps at all it appears the leak is coming from half way up the engine next to the slobber tube, it's also hard to tell since the block is almost completely wet with oil

Unfortunately anything that can't be done in a few hours will have to go to a good friend to fix I just don't have the time. 

My company is growing and I can't get employees fast enough it's a good problem but sucks because you can't make time for things you want or need to do.

Edited by WiscoRedkneck

• Owner

Like mine is leaking somewhere on the vacuum pump side but has oil scattered all the way to the passenger side all down the oil pan to the bell housing. The only way you are going to sort this out is to wash down the areas clean and take it for short ride at lower speeds and check often for oil and it source of the leak.