• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla v2 timing

Pnwtree

So ive been doing a lot of playing around with the v2, and one tricky thing that i would like to get other opinions and ideas of what they run for more power is the timing adjustment per rpm. Im curious what others have found to be the best for power but within safe range of course. Ive tried a few different mixes but i feel other opinions and what others have tried will help. Also is it possible for the vp44 timing electronic to advance or retard timing? Thanks for the input

So what we have found is that each truck seems to be a little different haha.

If you have studs I would feel free to play with timing as much as you like without worry.  Keep timing below 17* pre1500 rpm on heavy throttle.beyond that I doubt anything bad will happen.

My truck really like 24-25*at 2500 rpm and heavy throttle. Then after that I can just max timing.  

My truck also likes alittle less timing at cruise state than most.  20-22* between 55-65 is about right.

14-15* is nice in the passing area of the map when boost is low and I am trying to get the turbo to light.  Then 17*-18* once the turbo is lit and I am starting to ramp up fueling in the 1500-2k area.

For a curve for trucks with studs.  

1500: 17*

2000: 20*

2500: 25*

3000: 29*

Max: 30*

Fuel load 2* and light throttle at whatever you truck likes at cruise.

If you get bucking on heavy throttle increase fuel load.

Would you mind making a video of how you trucks drives smoke wise?  Ilike to compare stuff.  Stock vs quad tuning compares are awesome.

Edited by Me78569

35 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

So what we have found is that each truck seems to be a little different haha.

If you have studs I would feel free to play with timing as much as you like without worry.  Keep timing below 17* pre1500 rpm on heavy throttle.beyond that I doubt anything bad will happen.

My truck really like 24-25*at 2500 rpm and heavy throttle. Then after that I can just max timing.  

My truck also likes alittle less timing at cruise state than most.  20-22* between 55-65 is about right.

14-15* is nice in the passing area of the map when boost is low and I am trying to get the turbo to light.  Then 17*-18* once the turbo is lit and I am starting to ramp up fueling in the 1500-2k area.

For a curve for trucks with studs.  

1500: 17*

2000: 20*

2500: 25*

3000: 29*

Max: 30*

Fuel load 2* and light throttle at whatever you truck likes at cruise.

If you get bucking on heavy throttle increase fuel load.

Would you mind making a video of how you trucks drives smoke wise?  Ilike to compare stuff.  Stock vs quad tuning compares are awesome.

Sweet thats good to know, i figured woukdnt be a issue with studs but cant be too safe when i get close to 70lbs of boost wot. Havent played with the load timing reduct but ill give that a go as well. Is the bucking from too much timing? Ive had that happen at mid throttle higher rpm. I recently started using the low load timing adv and that made a huge difference for mine. Cruising a 4-6% grade id get to 1000+ egt(not towing) now when i use that it sits at like 22-23 egts are 700-850 doing 70-75. Was amazed how much difference that made. Yea not a problem, mine actually does amazingly well since i swaped 7x.011 daps for westons 6x.013. One a side not i saw in your sig you have 7x.012 daps, do they run well? My 7x.011 where crap and egts where higher than my 6x.013s and not crap for power. Wondering if its a crappy set was all.

bucking is a result of too much timing at a given load vs rpm.   if you get bucking pay attention to what your engine load is, and if it is above or below your light throttle limit % setting in the tune.  That will tell you how to fix the issue.   

the vp44 can adjust timing itself, but only related to fuel temp and I would be shocked if it was more than 1* +-.

more timing really can help in the right spot

My dap's are running pretty good for being budget injectors.  I would love to try a set of weston injectors but his $$ is more than I can justify on my old piece of garbage.  He also wont adjust pop pressure to the spec I want.    DAP would.  

You might find this thread interesting. 

On 11/30/2017 at 7:26 AM, Me78569 said:

bucking is a result of too much timing at a given load vs rpm.   if you get bucking pay attention to what your engine load is, and if it is above or below your light throttle limit % setting in the tune.  That will tell you how to fix the issue.   

the vp44 can adjust timing itself, but only related to fuel temp and I would be shocked if it was more than 1* +-.

more timing really can help in the right spot

My dap's are running pretty good for being budget injectors.  I would love to try a set of weston injectors but his $$ is more than I can justify on my old piece of garbage.  He also wont adjust pop pressure to the spec I want.    DAP would.  

You might find this thread interesting. 

I see, thanks for all the great info really enjoy learning the v2 tuning. Okay is it possible that failing vp can retard or advance or not really? Id heard something about it but wasnt sure. I see, mine where just smokey, always grey ish smoke hardly ever bacl except for when i had used a smarty s03. Yea lol thats why i originaly bought em, then power adiction got worse. Just checked it out very helpful!

47 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

the timing piston can stick in a worn vp,  I would also imagine that the timing solenoid can wear out causing the ring to not advance or retard fully. 

But in both of those situtations you should see a p0216 code.

I see, well thats good to know. Havent had that code(yet). Lol

On 12/1/2017 at 9:18 PM, Me78569 said:

the timing piston can stick in a worn vp,  I would also imagine that the timing solenoid can wear out causing the ring to not advance or retard fully. 

But in both of those situtations you should see a p0216 code.

Couldnt figure out which thread to post new v2 info o found out on the dyno so figured id use my thread and tag the v2 guru. So did 3 pulls, wish i had done more but oh well. 1st pull one of by basic race tunes with 19* at 2000 23* 2500 26* 3000. The chart shows low mph but at 74 mph its actually 95, max rpm was 3100 starting was roughly 2000 rpm. This is run #1

20171209_112941.jpg

Run #2, adjusted timing to 14* 1500 20* 2000 24* 2500 27* 3000. Peak horsepower not much change but the advantage on my truck was power on little faster, the charr showed a much smoother power curve, and kept a extra 30 horse before it wanted to drop off. More timing up high proved to hold the power a bit longer.

20171209_112948.jpg

Final tune had the same exact timing (20* 24* 27) same eveerything else except fuel stretch. I changed it from 1900 to 1700 and the resultes o was pretty shocked about. Starting power was much higher, max hp was i ncreased another 30, torque stayed on longer and was very impressive. Hope this helps someone out, its not much but i found it interesting and wish i had did more pulls to try tuning more. 

20171209_111423.jpg

One thing id like to ask about all this that would help me figure out the best power tune is how does the fuel stretch duratio  work? Is it the extra 30% canbus from the wire tap? If so whats the advantage past 1200 on the stretch? 

Good info here!  

fuel stretch it just a US of fueling duration extension on the fueling solenoid.  It has been well documented that going above ~1600-1800 setting can cause less hp than a lower number.  

I dont really know why really.  as far as I can guess it is ~%30 more duration.  as for what your truck likes you will have to play with that. 

you should also ensure you are ramping up timing on the top end higher.   I noticed a pretty significant difference in peak power by increasing timing above 2500 rpm.  

2500: 24

3000: 28

max:30  

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Good info here!  

fuel stretch it just a US of fueling duration extension on the fueling solenoid.  It has been well documented that going above ~1600-1800 setting can cause less hp than a lower number.  

I dont really know why really.  as far as I can guess it is ~%30 more duration.  as for what your truck likes you will have to play with that. 

you should also ensure you are ramping up timing on the top end higher.   I noticed a pretty significant difference in peak power by increasing timing above 2500 rpm.  

2500: 24

3000: 28

max:30  

Interesting how increased stretch would change peak power and how long power stays on. Yea since this dyno ive now been testing on what is best fuel stretch. Yea ive noticed a slight diff in 23 to 24 and at 3000 i havent tested too much. Also another thing to note, is the guy stopped right at 3100, soon as it got there the power dropped off quite a bit and didnt really want to go too much further.