• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ECM flashing/Programing, is it magic

Ok so let's get back to the topping of this thread and get the conversation going! Oh 

ECM flashing/Programing, is it magic

The first thing you should do is find or purchase the SAE J2610-2002 Serial Data Communication Interface publication.

The purpose of this SAE Information Report is to specify the requirements necessary to fully definethe Serial Data Communication Interface (SCI) used in the reprogramming of emission-related powertrain Electronic Control Units (ECU) in DaimlerChrysler Corporation (Chrysler Group) vehicles. 

trust me after reading that you will be a lot smarter :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

Who's got it?  :think:

SAE J2610 Issued APR2002 -17-
9.4 Flash Strobe-The diagnostic tester shall be required to generate the external Vpp flash strobe voltage necessary for erasing and programming on-board memory devices. The Vpp flash strobe voltage is needed to support the following four functions: 
a.Initiating ECU boot-loader mode 
b.Reading flash memory electronic signature (manufacturer and device codes)
c.Erasing flash memory 
d. Programming flash memory 

9.4.1 VPP SPECIFICATION-The diagnostic tester shall generate the Vpp flash strobe voltage multiplexed on the tester SCI transmit line. The requirements for the programmable power supply shall be defined as follows in Figure 13:

I can't post pictures because of this:

You have used all of the attachment space you are allowed. Manage Attachments to free up space

:doh:

Edited by Chris O.

• Staff

@Chris O. I had my friend's Snap-On SOLUS Edge scanner hooked up to my 99 Dodge Cummins this evening and I told it to automatically ID my pickup, which it did. But the VIN on the ECM is different than the VIN of my pickup, so I need to get the numbers off the ECM that is on the motor. I'm thinking that this ECM is my issue with the WTS delay, cruise control not working, and my seat belt light staying on even after I've latched the seat belt.

Will your tool be able to change the VIN on the ECM and install the appropriate software according to the VIN?

Edited by 99_Cummins_4x4

99 cummins

How long have you owned your '99 truck?

'99s have that stupid seat belt controller / timer/ module under the center console seat......

Edited by GSP7

On 12/9/2017 at 11:40 PM, 99_Cummins_4x4 said:

I just got this 99 2 weeks ago. My other 99 never had this seat belt light issue.

Is there a cruise control fuse somewhere on these Cummins pickups, and if so, which fuse is it and where is it located?

What year is the vin in the ecm? Better yet what is the last 8 of the vin in the ecm.

Duh..jlbays

Anyone know if my Actron OBD ll scan tool will show the Vin# in the ECM  by its self some how?

Ive never seen the Vin # displayed

Edited by GSP7

• Staff
10 hours ago, jlbayes said:

What year is the vin in the ecm? Better yet what is the last 8 of the vin in the ecm.

My VIN of my pickup is 1B7KF2369XJ553768, and the ECM VIN is 1B7KC2368XJ503078.

I ran them both, and the ECM VIN is a 99 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, SLT, with all the same options as my pickup, except the ECM truck was 2wd, had a posi, and it didn't have a security alarm. 

Mine is 4wd, has a security alarm, but doesn't have a posi. 

'99

You have the "ignition on,, ecm boot up delay"?  That is exactly what my Truck has been doing

How many seconds is the delay until the WTS light and lift pump comes on?

9 hours ago, 99_Cummins_4x4 said:

My VIN of my pickup is 1B7KF2369XJ553768, and the ECM VIN is 1B7KC2368XJ503078.

I ran them both, and the ECM VIN is a 99 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, SLT, with all the same options as my pickup, except the ECM truck was 2wd, had a posi, and it didn't have a security alarm. 

Mine is 4wd, has a security alarm, but doesn't have a posi. 

In your case the mismatch is fine unless emissions testing cares. At that point it is a simple flash update using a tool capable of flashing the ecm.