• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ECM flashing/Programing, is it magic

I was thinking , How is a Remanufactured ECM programed to your Vin number.

What equipment is involved? Software?

Is it this big mysterious machine, kept in a underground bunker that does it?

Do they swing a dead chicken in the air? Throw a pinch of salt over their left shoulder?

Or are the vin number programs on CDs and they just plug into the ECM with a USB port and run a CD on a lap top computer

Anyone really Know?

Edited by GSP7

I will take a stab at it. The DRBIII is the computer and the proprietary info (soft ware) belonged to Dodge. I understand that Dodge has sold that stuff off over the years which allows folks access to the software. Thats my minimal understanding. 

The ccd bus is all dodge, you can write to the ecm using the bus if you know what you are doing.   you can update the vin if you know where to do so in the memory on the ecm. 

Issue is next to no one knows the protocols and info needed.  

I have some code to do so, but you need to build a device that can talk on the protocol that is required.

• Thanks 1

• Owner

In a nutshell the CCD Bus provided by Dodge is what is connected to all the devices. (ECM, PCM, ABS, Etc.) So the DRBIII tool is what typically is used to do this task to program a VIN number. As for rebuilders I'm sure they have a dummy setup bench which allows then to flash using other means like a laptop or other devices etc. 

I googled DRBlll tool .  I think my friend that has a working shop has one that he used on my Truck a few days ago. I'll ask him if it is a DRBlll. I know he was able to do more diagnosing than my scanner

I have a OBDll that just scans for codes and reads them

Does the DRBlll do a lot more Diagnostic functions etc etc

If a DRBlll or even your Tester is used , Would it Diagnose  a Bad ECM that needs to be replaced ?,,,Like what I have, that is causing my symptoms of, Ignition On, Boot up delay before my truck will start

Edited by GSP7

• Owner
3 hours ago, GSP7 said:

If a DRBlll or even your Tester is used , Would it Diagnose  a Bad ECM that needs to be replaced ?,,,Like what I have, that is causing my symptoms of, Ignition On, Boot up delay before my truck will start

No. Not exactly. The only code for a failed ECM is P0606. Now you have to be smart enough to diagnose the other failures like internal circuit failures. There is no tool capable of diagnosing those issues.

Means that you'll be able ot data log what the tool is doing and gain more function on your tool.

Correct but i need to finish the final design which has been keeping me extremely busy lately.

Here is a short YouTube video of what i've been trying to implement lately:

Testing CCD bus receive data simultaneously listen to and decode the Acu-Rite off-the-shelf wireless temperature and humidity sensor.

Edited by Chris O.