• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

In tank, Lift Pump Retrofit

18 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Can you provide more info on these pumps?

The Bosch 044 for example. Not necessarily what I would use in this case but will give you the idea. Why I need the physical measurements of the pump to try and track one down.

So, what is the easiest way to remove the fuel pump from the tank???  drop the tank or remove the bed??? 

When I did it in 2010 I dropped the tank.  it was close to empty though & I was thinking if it saves me some time by removing the bed, that might be the way to go......... I have 30+ gallons in it now... 

Kind of looks to me like a 6 of one 1/2 Dozen of the other kind of thing.......... 

not sure how heavy it is, but I will probably only have 4 people here to lift the bed off and dont want to beat the heck out of it........ 

can you just slide it back a few feet & still get to the sender??? so it does not have to come all the way off??

thanks

Bob

Edited by Bobalos

Sorry I meant I used engine hoist to take the bad off, did it by myself with little effort, key is to get the straps in right place so bed lifts up level. Unless you mean your truck is too low to the ground, drive up on some 2x6s or something similar maybe screw few together to get of ground to right distance, if your rafters strong enough in garage use a chain hoist. If you have gooseneck you'll have to undo chain points, then bed bolts, filler neck tail lights wires etc. 

Or same thing dried up on something to get right to hight then put floor jack with 2x6 under tank then just unbolt straps, lower it down just enough to get to fitting, once you get them sobs off lower tank all the way. May have to get truck high enough so tank can slide out. :shrug:

Also there is a kit out there to make it a dump bed, some hinges on back and cylinder with a Electric pump. Then you an push a button and work on fuel tank. :thumb1:

Edited by Dieselfuture

i saw a video online of a guy that used 4 ratchet straps and tightened them as he needed to tilt the bed.  Kind of clever.  

I took a good look between the cab and bed and it looks like the bed only needs to go back about a foot to get to the tank.  I might give that a go..... 

Thanks

Bob

• Like 1

The pump still works, so I dont think it will be that hard to get the fuel out, I just have to make up a jumper to turn on the relay for the lift pump & disconnect it from the filter housing & pump it into some jugs.  but.............. how long will it take to remove 30 gallons of fuel.........  long enough that I could have pulled the bed up and out of the way???  

FWIW, when I did it last time, the truck was more than high enough that the tank came right out from underneath the truck.  

thanks

Bob

My experience: lifting the bed is super easy.  I do have a short bed.  What I do is starting at the front of the bed (rear of the cab) and remove the first 4 bolts and the ground strap.  Then on the two rear most bolts, I take them about halfway loose but leave them in the holes, so the bed is essentially hinged.  Then its a matter of not forgetting my filler neck (which I did last time) and removing the chain loops for my gooseneck.  

For raising it, I am capable of lifting the bed myself, but it's always nice to have someone else.  Then I prop it up on a 6' metal rod and i have plenty of room to workIMG_3513.JPG.37bfb1a59ff993468f64d959901e08b4.JPG

• Like 2

• Staff
59 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Sad I tried that very same thing on my long box and the bed hit the bumper before you even get high enough to get the sender out of the tank. 

That's what I found also... had to remove the bumper. My long bed had 8 bolts not just 6 so I loosened the rear ones for a hinge effect.  After all that just a month late,r I switched it to custom flatbed... go figure  :think:

My other truck has an access plate that I can remove to get to the tank top.

Trreed,

Doing that does not hose up the bed where the bolts are still going through the bed & frame?

Did you have to disconnect the lights & the spare tire rod? (I would imagine so).

thanks again folks!!! 

Bob

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

My other truck has an access plate that I can remove to get to the tank top.

Did that to a 3rd gen Camaro.  lifted up the carpet & took a pair of Snips to the "trunk".  the hard part was the hard lines that come off of the sending unit........  

And to be honest............ I thought about that for this, but I cant do that to this truck.....  :) 

• Like 1

I have had no issues with anything getting pinched or cut.  I don't disconnect any of the tail light wiring and I've never messed with the spare tire rod.  Maybe I've been lucky, but I've had the bed up like that at least half a dozen times.

1 hour ago, Bobalos said:

Trreed

If you want to tag someone put @ first and then their screen name like yours is Bobalos, so @Bobalos then it gets highlighted blue and they get notification, otherwise you're just relying on them to check your post at their will. I found out by pure accident so figured I'd pass it on. Maybe you already knew, so hopefully it will help someone. Also if they started the content you don't have to tag them as anyone posting in their thread they get notified, unless they changed that in settings. So technically you should have 2 notifications because this is your post. :2cents:

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Thanks 1