• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

In tank, Lift Pump Retrofit

• Staff

I would say 250 -350 lbs., so your only dealing with half that weight when lifting the front. I used a 4x4 about 2 or 3 feet long on top of a floor jack and raised the front like a dump bed as close to center as the driveline would allow till I could place a 12 inch long 4x4 on top of the truck frame on each side for safety. I used the two rear bolts as a hinge when loose and to hold it stable but watch the bumper hitting and don't hit the cab when you raise it. I think I had to remove the license plate plastic too.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner
16 hours ago, 015point9 said:

So how much do people think a 8 ft weighs?

Enough that you need 3 to 4 people to safely lift the bed with damaging paint. They are heavy and awkward to lift and move. I've seen several people here use straps in the 4 corners and then use a forklift or backhoe to pick the bed up off the truck. If you have a 2 post I've seen guys use those to lift them straight up. 

Me... A empty fuel tank is very, very, light and two bands I can drop a fuel tank much faster than lifting the bed. 

• Like 1

• Staff

When do you plan on doing this?   I see you live in San Diego.  Del Cerro area?  I'm a half hour north and can help you with this, I've dropped a few tanks over the years.  I have my work van with tools, floor jack and 5 five gallon fuel containers to pump your fuel into.     

@ibmobile, thanks for the offer.  I have 2 strapping young men here that I used as slave labor (my boys).  Lol.  It was very simple to get the bed up.  

I will write something up when I get the pictures downloaded. 

Next.....  I wonder if the pump is not fine and the filter is just plugged...   It is WAY dirtier than it was Tha last time I removed it.  Last time it was pristine.  

I chickened out and went with what I know and bought another oem setup.  This is an intermediate step.  I need to get it running then will worry about upgrading it next summer.  

So..... Now I'm wondering if I should remove the filter from the new one and just let the filter do it's job.  Seems like a good way to ruin a fuel pump but what is going on now is not good.  

The real question is how is all of this dust getting into the tank.... 

IMG_20171209_113007204_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171209_115035296.jpg

IMG_20171209_114823931_HDR.jpg

So what does the fitting on the left do??  The one that is not connected to anything?  I'm guessing it's the vent for the tank.  I wonder if that is not how the dirt is getting into the tank... 

IMG_20171209_121718.jpg

So what does the fitting on the left do??  The one that is not connected to anything?  I'm guessing it's the vent for the tank.  I wonder if that is not how the dirt is getting into the tank... 

This is the back side of that fitting... 

IMG_20171209_122727865.jpg

I hate to keep throwing up all of these questions without anyone having a chance to reply..... 

So what does this thing do?  I'm guessing it's a pressure regulator.  There is a spring in it that pops open when the pressure gets to high.  This way they can out in just about any pump and it will give them the output pressure they want... 

IMG_20171208_192401460.jpg

Well...... I just got back from a test ride & the fuel pressure is awesome.  15+ @ idle and I could not get it to go down <12 @ WOT.  

thanks to everyone for the help. 

If anyone is interested I can write up a thread on how to do this evolution & everything that is involved. 

Bob

FWIW, I blew and sucked through both the old & new one & I could not get it to stop the flow in either direction regardless of orientation.  seems like a vent to me with a little cotton/screen/filter in it. 

Bob

3 hours ago, 015point9 said:

From what I've read, thing not connected at top works as vent on diesel and on gas line goes to charcoal filter.  I put filter on mine to keep dirt out.  Filter was cheap ace hardware lawn mower filter.  I'm long from expert though.  

I thought about doing the same thing.  however I needed to get some stuff done today (Honey-do list stuff) so I opted to just put it back together & get it going.

23 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just go over to the article database and post it up. We'll review it.

Done.  I meant to edit the pictures, but the only thing on this computer is paint & its a PITB......  I had to make the pictures smaller so I would not go over the upload limit. 

Hope you like it.  :)

Bob

• Owner

When you make a post on the site all your images are stored in your personal file area. 

So there is a button in the lower right saying "Insert other Media" when you click on it gives two choices insert existing attachment and insert image URL. You want to select insert existing attachment.

images.png

So this pops up now you can select from any image that you have in your storage. Instead of uploading multiple images that are the same. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

The problem is if I leave it unrestricted people would continue to just keep uploading photos and files non-stop regardless of being a repeat. The server would quickly become full and we will have to buy into a larger hard drive increasing the cost of operation. Hence this why donation member gain more storage space being they contribute to the site. 

Member is 25 MB of storage

Silver is 50 MB of storage

Gold is 100 MB of storage

Platinum is 250 MB of storage

• Like 1

On 12/9/2017 at 3:44 PM, 015point9 said:

Service manual says "Rollover  valve"  (however mine does not look like pic in manual).  

FUEL DELIVERY - DIESEL page 14 - 79

I looked @ the one I pulled out a little bit closer & that is exactly what it is.  turn it over & its very hard to get air to go in or out, turn it right side up & its very easy to go both ways. 

:)

7 hours ago, Bobalos said:

I looked @ the one I pulled out a little bit closer & that is exactly what it is.  turn it over & its very hard to get air to go in or out, turn it right side up & its very easy to go both ways. 

:)

Thanks..Going to look closer at what I have. I wonder if it's any great crime not to have a "turn over" valve? 

581a978e42482_DSCN24161.JPG.81c7bfb60c2f4355bf74a54c518aebf5.JPG

Old one had one but not new one.