• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High Idle Switch install

I have purchased the high idle switch and it is due to deliver today. I have also rented a Smarty from DAP to activate the 3 cylinder high idle mode. Just looking for a few pointers on the install.

I have read the install article: High Idle Install

I know to unhook my batteries prior to install and take my time to ensure I don't bump any other wires that might cause issues down the road. The switch install seems pretty straight forward.

My main questions are with the Smarty. What is the process for enabling high idle?

Plug in Smarty. Does key need to be on?

After plugging in the Smarty I'm lost. Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie.

Edited by Red Rambler

1 minute ago, Me78569 said:

plug the smarty in, key on, follow directions ( you can load ANY tune to the truck) then let it update, once it finishes key off and back on,  and set back to stock.  

Thanks Me, not that I'm comfortable doing this, but if the Smarty is truly plug and play. Is there anything worth editing while I have the Smarty in hand, I have 21 days to use it. Does the sequence matter, install switch first, or enable high idle with Smarty 1st? Thanks for the help.

I received my switch. Great quality, good connectors. One question I have is on the positive/negative wires that illuminate the switch. I notice it doesn't have o rings on it. Is there a reason not to run it directly to the battery? I am going to put a 40 AMP inline fuse on the positive wire and connect directly to the battery, if there is no reason not to?

Excuse my ignorance,,,, But what is the purpose of "high idle"

I've read about "high idle" before many times.... One of those things I havent a clue why you want or need a high idle or a switch or where the idea came from, or its purpose ?

Edited by GSP7

many reasons. 

1. Faster warmup, my truck will go from 32*f to 140*f in ~5 minutes if I stick it in 3 cyl high idle with the eb on

2. increased alternator output for running lights bars or a winch.

3. prolong idle times can cause wash down if at 750 rpm, high idle will prevent that

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

1. Faster warmup, my truck will go from 32*f to 140*f in ~5 minutes if I stick it in 3 cyl high idle with the eb on

2. increased alternator output for running lights bars or a winch.

3. prolong idle times can cause wash down if at 750 rpm, high idle will prevent that

Oh.....

.What's eb? 

"3cyl high idle"  It is a program to only injects fuel into 3 cylinders?

ME, just want to clarify the high idle switch cancel function. I might be over thinking this one.

Canceling Selected High Idle Mode

The only way to cancel a selected high idle mode is to turn off the engine and wait 10 seconds and start again. This will reset the high idle mode. Be sure to set the proper mode you wish to start with either OFF, 6 CYL or 3CYL before starting.

So the above states the only way to cancel high idle mode is by shutting the truck off. On a cold morning I select 3CYL mode, and then start my engine. It runs for 5-10 minutes until warming up. At this point, I must shut my truck off to cancel 3CYL, or can I hit the brake to cancel the 3CYL. Also, must I turn the truck off and put it to the OFF or MPG position or can I drive the truck with the 3CYL being selected as the brake pedal cancels the high idle. Thanks.

The only way to truly cancel high idle trigger is key off or by having ECT reach 170*f. 

you can just switch the switch from 3 cyl mode to mpg then go on your way, high idle MAY kick back on if you go back to park and sit idling for 2 minutes before ect rise up above 170*f  

just know that if the above conditions are not met the ECM can go back into high idle mode once at idle.