• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High Idle Switch install

7 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

The only way to truly cancel high idle trigger is key off or by having ECT reach 170*f. 

you can just switch the switch from 3 cyl mode to mpg then go on your way, high idle MAY kick back on if you go back to park and sit idling for 2 minutes before ect rise up above 170*f  

just know that if the above conditions are not met the ECM can go back into high idle mode once at idle.

Thanks Me. I can do this "you can just switch the switch from 3 cyl mode to mpg then go on your way" while the engine is running, just as long as i switch fast, correct?

• Owner

Optimal...

Set your high idle mode BEFORE starting. Then after getting started then go ahead and turn back to OFF. You might want to avoid MPG mode till it warms up. MPG mode will RETARD timing so its best to let the ECM control the timing during warm up. 

The CEL light trip is because some people turn the knob too slowly and the ECM picks up the fact you broke the circuit for that brief moment so it will trip the CEL. It might also miss the mark and go into 3 CYL mode. Like said above just turn off the engine for 10 seconds and then restart again this will reset the ECM high idle mode. 

Be aware high idle mode either 3 or 6 CYL will remain active for the entire key cycle. So next time the condition for high idle occur (ECT < 140*F and IAT < 32*F) it will fire back up in the mode you selected at the start of the key cycle. 

• Thanks 1

I installed the high idle. Unhooked both batteries prior to install and took my time. I have not flashed the smarty onto my truck yet. After wire install I did an APPS reset with my throttle pedal. Now I have the check engine and gauge lights both on and my thermostat is pegged out. 
Below picture is while running.

IMG_0622.JPG.77168328125029cc5a1e4914a6886c15.JPG

Edited by Red Rambler

4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Double check the ECT connection make sure both connections have locked together. If the ECT lead is OPEN you get the pegged coolant gauge.

I'll check that now. Does it matter if the switch is plugged into the harness? It currently is not plugged in. However high idle has not been flashed on yet. 

• Owner

If the ECT line is open it does matter... It must connect to the sensor one way or another. It doesn't matter if the flash is done or not. You can still use the OFF and MPG mode. The 3 CYL and 6 CYL just will not respond. Again make sure all connection are hooked up the truck will be fine and drive without codes.

Ive been following these high idle  threads

Can you explain what happens in the MPG mode and is it used for getting better fuel mileage or something else?

Edited by GSP7

I have completed my install and tested the high idle. All works as it should. Very easy to install and plenty of loom for the location I installed my switch at. I did not unplug the power puck. Also my check engine light is no longer on, it must have been due to not having the switch plugged in. 

IMG_0627.JPG.4dd5542ef05c86f270df2d454d037c7a.JPG

Edited by Red Rambler

• 1 month later...