• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quad v2 and injector question

dirty830

Question for the quad and injector experts. Im about to pull the trigger on some injectors. Looking at the dfi 7x12, 7x13 and 7x14. Will be installing a 64/68/12sxe next month. From what iv read there seems to be something to detuning a larger injector with the v2 tuning and having a better power band then a smaller injector running at its limit. Question is what is the largest injector a vp can support and what is the point of diminishing return or has this even been tried yet? i used search function but can find no answers. I think i read somewhere that 7x14 was all a sovp could support but cant seem to find it again. Wondering if a injector that larger can be detuned enough to run cleanly and have a better power band?

What do yall mean when you say fall off or give up? As in power falls off or the vp gives up or the owner gives up? I myself am not looking for a extreme high hp im looking to have the widest range of tuneability possible I guess is what im trying to accomplish. My logic is to have a injector that can flow as much as the vp but while still being able to detune with my quad to be streetable and be able to grow with the rest of the truck.

injector size doesn't have anything to do with revving out.   the sizing of injectors I think about is trying to get canbus to be %100 at WOT at 2200 rpm.   then you can use wiretap above that to hold fueling as revs increase.  

Canbus fueling is much easier to control than wiretap.   Wiretap is very handy once things are moving.

you still want to match your fuel to your air.  

As you move right on the graph rpms are climbing

Here's what the oem fueling command % looks like at WOT, note how it peaks at 2k ish then starts to fall off note also that it peaks at ~%80
Capture.PNG

Now here is the Quadzilla tuning, note the canbus curve can be taken down at low rpms ( smoke control) then peak at %100 duration.  Also note how wiretap can fill the fueling lul after 2200 rpm.  

Capture.PNG

so you want your injectors to be big enough to get the turbo at the top of the  map when rpms are at peak torque and throttle is %100, with boost high.  

clear as mud?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gipperkid said:

Lol, Yes clear as mud. I will eventually gain knowledge about the quad. With your guidance! Lol. I understand about matching injectors with turbos.

Basic interpretation: injector size still matters but way less now that we have control over fueling which was something never seen up until the quad. 

Great example would be @Me78569 running 7x.012s right now on a somewhat "stock" sized turbo with little to no change in performance and smoke output.  The performance part is where he has room to grow though seeing as though he is not using the full potential of what fuel he has available, nor does he need to for that matter. 

Edited by Carbur8tr

1 minute ago, Carbur8tr said:

Basic interpretation: injector size still matters but way less now that we have control over fueling which was something never seen up until the quad. 

Great example would be @Me78569 running 7x.012s right now on a somewhat "stock" sized turbo with little to no change in performance and smoke output.  The performance part is where he has room to grow though seeing as though he is not using the full potential of what fuel has has available, nor does he need to for that matter. 

To add to this. Injector size matters when looking for power. Larger size means faster rate of injection.

For 500hp nothing more than a 7x.010 is needed. The caveat there is you are at the top end of the duration scale to get it. A larger injector can support it more easily.

Sac vs. vco. Cost. That is it until you get into the larger nozzle sizes. They trade back and forth but vco starts to out perform sac.