• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1 minute ago, Me78569 said:

If you dont build your own charge pipe, or go cheap wih a 45* bend to adapt the stock to work.  

Stainless diesel offers this http://www.stainlessdiesel.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=176  I used that for my VE swap.  DAP sells a silicon piece that you can use, 

Or you can build your own.

I’m not a pro fabricator so I’ll prob buy that one. What else do I need to know? 

• Staff

Are you looking for a tow tune at 400-450 or a street tune at 400-450 and 350-375 for towing?

The reason I ask is the HE351CW is about a 350-375 rwhp turbo for towing at altitude and reasonable EGTs. 

The VE turbine wheel is larger and a common mod to the CW. It will spool better, reduce drive pressure, flow more, and sound better too :-)

My dad has the VE turbine wheel in his CW on his 06. I have him running about a 350-375 rwhp tune and it does awesome. It's efficient, cool running, and doesn't have EGT issues until WOT above 6-7K feet in the summer. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Are you looking for a tow tune at 400-450 or a street tune at 400-450 and 350-375 for towing?

The reason I ask is the HE351CW is about a 350-375 rwhp turbo for towing at altitude and reasonable EGTs. 

The VE turbine wheel is larger and a common mod to the CW. It will spool better, reduce drive pressure, flow more, and sound better too :-)

My dad has the VE turbine wheel in his CW on his 06. I have him running about a 350-375 rwhp tune and it does awesome. It's efficient, cool running, and doesn't have EGT issues until WOT above 6-7K feet in the summer. 

Looking for 450 for playing and around 350 for a safe towin tune. I haven’t heard of the compressor wheel mod! I’ll have to look at that! Would that make a difference with injector size? Still go with 7x10s? 

1 minute ago, Me78569 said:

you will need a he351ve turbine wheel.  Then you will need to have someone machine the cw exhaust side out to fit the bigger wheel.  

Sounds like it could get expensive! @AH64ID do you know what the cost for machining was? I have been searching and having a hard time finding a wheel. Any sugggestion for a source?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Turbine-Wheel-for-Holset-HE351VE-Turbos-Dodge-Ram-Cummins-ISB-6-7L-Engine-/182127696383

That WhT I’m looking for? 

http://www.cumminsforum.com/#/topics/2372346?page=1

Found this turbo on CF. Says it has a little play. Is that ok?

I really like the he351cw for what it is, but honestly once you go down this road with getting the cw enlarged etc, you might as well have just bought a new sxe turbo.

ve turbine = ~$150

Mill work = $100- $200 by the time you get it all done. 

turbo = $250-500

rebuild kit for the turbo $60

Intercooler piping to make a 3rd gen turbo work on a 2nd gen $100

Front cover plug for wastegate = $40

Edited by Me78569

3 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I really like the he351cw for what it is, but honestly once you go down this road with getting the cw enlarged etc, you might as well have just bought a new sxe turbo.

ve turbine = ~$150

Mill work = $100- $200 by the time you get it all done. 

turbo = $250-500

rebuild kit for the turbo $60

Intercooler piping to make a 3rd gen turbo work on a 2nd gen $100

Front cover plug for wastegate = $40

I would somewhat agree with that. What turbo would you go with? 

I am also thinking that I may just do the 351 and not enlarge it...

did you see the link for the turbo?

How would the sxe/HE351 donwith my stock injectors if I waited until they went out to get the 7x0.10,s?

for a fun 400 hp and more than enough power to tow anything the 2nd gen can handle I think a stock he351cw is a good choice.  

the cw would be fine with stock injectors and tuning the sxe not so much, that really needs more fuel.  

Just now, Me78569 said:

for a fun 400 hp and more than enough power to tow anything the 2nd gen can handle I think a stock he351cw is a good choice.  

the cw would be fine with stock injectors and tuning the sxe not so much, that really needs more fuel.  

I think I want to go with the he351. 

What exactly would need machined? I would like to get a quote from my local machine shop.