• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner
3 hours ago, AH64ID said:

60x86 compressor wheel (same as the 7 blade super 40 wheel)

65x58 CW 12 blade turbine wheel (often called a 68x60 by Holset, thou I don’t know why)

70x60 VE 12 blade turbine wheel

Holset calls the CW a 60/60/9, but it measures a 60/58/9

Basically the same as my Hx35/40 hybrid. 60/60/12 my exhaust housing is larger.

The hybrid will have slightly slower spooling over the 351CW.  Would also lower EGT's over the 351CW.  And, you wouldn't need a different downpipe, charge pipe, or make a wastegate bracket. 

Edited by trreed

@Mopar1973Man is gonna be the best guy to tell you real world experience about the turbo and injectors to use with it.  

From an ease of installation standpoint, the 35/40 hybrid will be so much easier to install (it's a drop-in) versus fabricating everything needed for the 351cw swap.

Edited by trreed

8 minutes ago, trreed said:

@Mopar1973Man is gonna be the best guy to tell you real world experience about the turbo and injectors to use with it.  

From an ease of installation standpoint, the 35/40 hybrid will be so much easier to install (it's a drop-in) versus fabricating everything needed for the 351cw swap.

I’m not too worried about fabricating things I just want what’s best for my truck and my goals which are 450 hp daily driving tow and fun rig! :thumb1: I do agree though that the hybrid would be much easier for a guy like me... 

i beliebe the only fab work I would need to do is the wastegate holder. Correct me if I’m wrong...

1 minute ago, trreed said:

Sorry, guess I shoulda said it'd be cheaper to put in a drop in 35/40 hybrid turbo versus fabricating the wastegate bracket and buying the downpipe and charge pipe. My bad.

Haha all good! Lol we’re you thinking too but a hybrid turbo or convert mine?

i was thinking that if I can get a hybrid for A good price I would consider it a option but if I have to convert mine idk if I want to do that because I want to keep all my stock parts...

2 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

The CW is a much newer turbo in terms of design.   I would choose a CW over a hybrid because of that alone.  True 4" downpipe vs the 3" hx.  

Both are gonna be getting hot by 450hp, the hybrid will not spool as fast.

What would be max safe egt for a cw? 

Im defiantly leaning towards the cw I think.

Only thing I’m unsure about is the wastegate holder. Will it become obvious once I get the turbo how to make it or does someone have plans for it?

It may be cheaper to source a hybrid versus having yours machined into a hybrid.  But genuine hybrid turbos seem hard to find anymore.  

Nick is right, the CW is a much better designed turbo in terms of turbine and compressor blade designs and flow characteristics over the hybrid.  Both will support 400hp (450 if you really push it, as mentioned above), so you gotta weigh ease of installation versus better flowing wheels.

I wanted a hybrid like the one @Mopar1973Man has but by the time I was going to combine parts and pay for them all I ended up having one built for me by

http://www.northamericanturbo.com  (Zach is who I delt with, nice guy) thanks to @jlbayes for pointing me there. 

I spent  $800 and gave him extra $100 for a core so I kept my old one as a spear. And that way I didn't have to wait as long, heck I talked with him Monday I believe and Thursday I had it, but I'm not that far ether. So long story short I have a 62/67/12 supposed to support up to 500hp, made out of hx35 and hx40 and a turbine out of something else. It's balanced and all but they do use used parts so don't expect it looking like a new one, it's close. Internally it's all new even with a billet extended tip induser that was also new. Now it's definitely laggyer then hx35 but I've gotten used to it now and only running 75hp injectors. With the v2 tuning I got it running pretty well now, but some day I'll get a set of 150-200hp injectors and retune it. Reason I like the 75hp injectors is if quad craps out for whatever reason, I'll still be very drivable. Now if you can get parts for next to nothing and piece a hybrid together yourself, probably a good deal too, I just didn't have time to wait. Good luck with your choice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dieselfuture said:

I wanted a hybrid like the one @Mopar1973Man has but by the time I was going to combine parts and pay for them all I ended up having one built for me by

http://www.northamericanturbo.com  (Zach is who I delt with, nice guy) thanks to @jlbayes for pointing me there. 

I spent  $800 and gave him extra $100 for a core so I kept my old one as a spear. And that way I didn't have to wait as long, heck I talked with him Monday I believe and Thursday I had it, but I'm not that far ether. So long story short I have a 62/67/12 supposed to support up to 500hp, made out of hx35 and hx40 and a turbine out of something else. It's balanced and all but they do use used parts so don't expect it looking like a new one, it's close. Internally it's all new even with a billet extended tip induser that was also new. Now it's definitely laggyer then hx35 but I've gotten used to it now and only running 75hp injectors. With the v2 tuning I got it running pretty well now, but some day I'll get a set of 150-200hp injectors and retune it. Reason I like the 75hp injectors is if quad craps out for whatever reason, I'll still be very drivable. Now if you can get parts for next to nothing and piece a hybrid together yourself, probably a good deal too, I just didn't have time to wait. Good luck with your choice. 

You mention the qaud crapping out...

if this happened and I had the cw and 7x.010s would I still have a verydriveable truck?

8 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Here is that hybrid painted black next to hx 35

5972b13591bd2_2017-07-2120_39_20.jpg.60a774719bdf3fbc9d41e88327d9b098.jpg5972b17385ae3_2017-07-2120_40_03.jpg.e0ccd6b62b5d176e9863ae1124c3a8dd.jpg

Looks very nice!! 

https://dieselautopower.com/borg-warner-60mm-turbo-with-90-compressor-cover-60-68-177280d/

what do y’all think about this turbo? 

Madding up the cost of the cw is still coming close to a new aftermarket turbo. Would this be a drop in turbo? 

Better than a cw?