• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Door wiring for lighted mirrors

Changing my manual mirrors to power, heated, and lighted. I know doors are pre-wired for the power/heated and I've already added the mirror control swtich and the temp control with heated button. My question is if anyone knows if there is lights-on power source inside the door. Looking to avoid running wires through the dash to the light switch.

• Staff

My 01 Laramie has the little button light up that's located in bottom left corner of heat temperature control. The word 'mirror' lights up being the letters are semi transparent. The mirror angle knob next to driver window does not light up and letters are painted over the black plastic. I went out and looked not just memory. :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1

We get there's no light function for our mirrors, but the guy is going to aftermarket ones with the marker lights.  He wants to know if there is a parking light wire source in or near the door so he can illuminate the marker lights without running wires through the conduit to the light switch.  

5 hours ago, gipperkid said:

@nukethenazis I'd like to know more. I would guess by using a relay?

No relays, you just need to solder some diodes and resistors together a specific way, tap some wires and it's good to go. It's been a few years since I did mine, I'll try to dig up the schematic or make up a new one quick.

Edited by nukethenazis

1 hour ago, nukethenazis said:

No relays, you just need to solder some diodes and resistors together a specific way, tap some wires and it's good to go. It's been a few years since I did mine, I'll try to dig up the schematic or make up a new one quick.

Sweet! Sounds good.

You'll need to get 4 12v or higher, 1 amp diodes and 1 12v, 125 ohm resistor, all of which can be had from The Source I believe. 

Solder them together like this: 

QOR6oIA.png

I pulled the bezel off and pulled the headlight switch right out because of my OCD, and if I can recall correctly (didn't tear my dash apart to check), I tapped the 'park lamp replay output' black w/ yellow tracer wire for the park light power source, as seen on the headlight switch connector here:

qsaCAdJ.png

You may be able to trace the wire down near the steering column area for easier access, but I thought it was pretty well buried, which I why I went up the dash to the headlight switch. 

Lastly, the right and left turn signal wires are very easy to get at, right on the steering column. They are the small, tan and light-green wires respectively, just be sure to check everything beforehand with a multimeter. 

2OVlBKm.png

The original idea was from a gentleman, can't remember his name or find the thread, on the CF who did this to his 3rd? gen ~ credit goes to him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1