Jump to content
  • Welcome Guest To Mopar1973Man.Com

    We are a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel forum. We are very friendly and helpful group of Dodge Ram Cummins owners. We will try to keep your truck running the best we can and provide information for diagnostics, repairs and even guide you on the best replacement parts to use. 

     

    Registration is free. Registering on the site will provide access to many more things like...
     

    • Contribute to the Forum being able to ask questions and get support for your Dodge Ram Cummins.
    • Contribute to Article Database adding your ideas and suggestions.
    • Classified Ads posted by the members. Post up your used parts and vehicles.
    • Member Garage where you can proudly display your vehicles and modifications that you have done to them.
    • Download files, documents, and Quadzilla Adrenaline tunes for your truck.
    • 911 Support Network. We've got a group of members will to aid you if your truck breaks down on the road.
    • Reduced Advertisements displayed to you.

Recommended Posts

Changing my manual mirrors to power, heated, and lighted. I know doors are pre-wired for the power/heated and I've already added the mirror control swtich and the temp control with heated button. My question is if anyone knows if there is lights-on power source inside the door. Looking to avoid running wires through the dash to the light switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 01 Laramie has the little button light up that's located in bottom left corner of heat temperature control. The word 'mirror' lights up being the letters are semi transparent. The mirror angle knob next to driver window does not light up and letters are painted over the black plastic. I went out and looked not just memory. :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

As far as I know, there is no lighted function for our trucks for mirrors.

Power Mirror wiring map 1999 Dodge Ram

 

Where does one get wire diagrams?

(Little alone with color)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We get there's no light function for our mirrors, but the guy is going to aftermarket ones with the marker lights.  He wants to know if there is a parking light wire source in or near the door so he can illuminate the marker lights without running wires through the conduit to the light switch.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's got to run a full lead from the marker light lead back through the door. The only thing I can think of is tapping in at the steering column. This would give both parking light and turn signal function. If it just marker light then you want to tap in at the trailer relay which is easy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, gipperkid said:

Yea I'm just going to run the wire to lights-on power source.

I can help you out if you decide to make them operate as turn indicators as well, if you change your mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gipperkid said:

@nukethenazis I'd like to know more. I would guess by using a relay?

No relays, you just need to solder some diodes and resistors together a specific way, tap some wires and it's good to go. It's been a few years since I did mine, I'll try to dig up the schematic or make up a new one quick.

Edited by nukethenazis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nukethenazis said:

No relays, you just need to solder some diodes and resistors together a specific way, tap some wires and it's good to go. It's been a few years since I did mine, I'll try to dig up the schematic or make up a new one quick.

Sweet! Sounds good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll need to get 4 12v or higher, 1 amp diodes and 1 12v, 125 ohm resistor, all of which can be had from The Source I believe. 

 

Solder them together like this: 

QOR6oIA.png

I pulled the bezel off and pulled the headlight switch right out because of my OCD, and if I can recall correctly (didn't tear my dash apart to check), I tapped the 'park lamp replay output' black w/ yellow tracer wire for the park light power source, as seen on the headlight switch connector here:

qsaCAdJ.png

 

You may be able to trace the wire down near the steering column area for easier access, but I thought it was pretty well buried, which I why I went up the dash to the headlight switch. 

 

Lastly, the right and left turn signal wires are very easy to get at, right on the steering column. They are the small, tan and light-green wires respectively, just be sure to check everything beforehand with a multimeter. 

 

2OVlBKm.png

 

The original idea was from a gentleman, can't remember his name or find the thread, on the CF who did this to his 3rd? gen ~ credit goes to him.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, gipperkid said:

I can't remember, but are resistors directional? It's been a while seen high school physics. LOL.

No they are not, but the diodes are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nuke,

 

The only problem I see with this once the running lights are energized, the turn signal will not make it flash.  It might "brighten" a tad due to the dual sourcing of 12v input, but nothing kills the constant power from the running lights.

 

You could do something like this with one relay per side. 

image.png.497437f6d81d944f35a9eb4d63e03f16.png

 

To get all you want will take a bit of thinking....  hmmmmm,  Sorry not as much help as I thought I was... This is kicking my butt....  Two relays per side isn't working properly in my mind....  its getting expensive....

 

Merry Christmas though!  I will keep thinking....

 

Hag

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Haggar said:

Nuke,

 

The only problem I see with this once the running lights are energized, the turn signal will not make it flash.  It might "brighten" a tad due to the dual sourcing of 12v input, but nothing kills the constant power from the running lights.

 

True, but these trucks don't shut the turn signal right off when the park lamps are on, or at least my 99 doesn't. They simply fluctuate between dim and full power, so the mirror puddle lights will imitate this via the resistor. 

 

OP, you may even consider picking up a 150 ohm resistor as well, they're pretty cheap so just experiment with them and see which one gives a more distinguishable flash while not dimming the park lights down too much. I used a 100 ohm when I did mine and if I were to do it again I would definitely use higher resistance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 02 has 2 filament bulbs. One comes when when you turn the lights on and the other filament blinks for turn signals. The corner light filament stays on as long as the lights are on. Don't have a clue as to how they are wired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2017 at 1:42 PM, nukethenazis said:

You'll need to get 4 12v or higher, 1 amp diodes and 1 12v, 125 ohm resistor, all of which can be had from The Source I believe. 

 

Solder them together like this: 

QOR6oIA.png

I pulled the bezel off and pulled the headlight switch right out because of my OCD, and if I can recall correctly (didn't tear my dash apart to check), I tapped the 'park lamp replay output' black w/ yellow tracer wire for the park light power source, as seen on the headlight switch connector here:

qsaCAdJ.png

 

You may be able to trace the wire down near the steering column area for easier access, but I thought it was pretty well buried, which I why I went up the dash to the headlight switch. 

 

Lastly, the right and left turn signal wires are very easy to get at, right on the steering column. They are the small, tan and light-green wires respectively, just be sure to check everything beforehand with a multimeter. 

 

2OVlBKm.png

 

The original idea was from a gentleman, can't remember his name or find the thread, on the CF who did this to his 3rd? gen ~ credit goes to him.

 

 

Captured and moved to the article database. Thank you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×