• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Testing Injector Pop Pressure in the real world

Me78569

• 2 months later...

Well I'm going to bring back up this old thread. Now that the temps have gotten hot I am 100% decided that I have to bring my pot pressures back down. Unless I run at least two quarts of two-stroke oil and let off the throttle just right when slowing down the truck will look so bad that it dies. It has almost gotten me into a couple accidents when the power steering stops going around the corner. It has always done this a little bit but the higher Pop pressure has exaggerated it and it cannot be driven this way. I'm at the point where I don't believe that there is much of any benefit to raising the pop pressure. Also now that it's hot out it's hard for me to drive smoke free and it is hazier at idle than I expected as well. Overall I guess I just don't see this as being a benefit really. Once I can get to a point where my truck can be down for a couple weeks I will probably pull injectors and have them repop 2 somewhere around 310bar I believe

5 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

It appears you have a manual transmission, I am not sure how the power steering would be effected with the clutch out an in gear?? It would just be like coasting, which is 0 fuel being injected as well. 

You're right but I can't always be in gear and coasting. Going around the corner trying to shift and it dies. I'd have to 100% change my driving Style 2 leaving it in gear at every single opportunity that I could. It's nearly impossible to make it not lope and the hotter it is outside the worse it is.

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Betcha if they where stock it would hold up better. 

Agree but unfortunately I don't have that option. Still doesn't change my mind that the benefit is very slight in my opinion. Not likely worth the probable added wear

I had about 25k on my injectors with 350 and 330 bar.  some 80+ days and some 0 days.   

Highway towing etc.    I think 340 is too high.  I think 330 was about right for my application.  I seen a pretty big difference going to 330 from stock, but not a huge amount going from 330 to 350, and there were draw backs at 350 like you are seeing.  

I really dont see how it could wear more truthfully.  The pump is going to create WAY more pressure during the stroke than the pop pressure.  

Remember Bosch says 327 bar is within spec.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 9:32 PM, Me78569 said:

Highway towing etc.    I think 340 is too high.  I think 330 was about right for my application.  I seen a pretty big difference going to 330 from stock, but not a huge amount going from 330 to 350

So would a safe bet be get pop pressure set to 330 and have it drop to 320 or so? DD with hauling wood/dirt here and there…

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2018 at 12:18 PM, Me78569 said:

I wouldn't unless you want to R&D with it.   

Nick, I was talking to Mike, and I was thinking of 315 Bar on my 100hp injectors. What are your thoughts? 

Bear in mind I still have an S03, and I'm willing to play to see if I can get this smoke under control. 

Edited by pepsi71ocean

• Owner
19 minutes ago, dieselautopower said:

300-314BAR is Bosch spec for the injectors on a VP44 Dodge.  315BAR is not going to be much change.

Don't you mean 293 to 327 bar? So 4,250 PSI equal to 293 bar and 4750 PSI is equal to 327 bar. At least from the Dodge FSM book.

fuel-pressure-specs.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man