• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Issues with Smarty s-03 Quadzilla stack

Me78569

@Waydin_Stewart I saw you posting over on Smartresource.com   stacking the s03 and the Quadzilla is not support.  your issues with the truck shutting off are related to the factory high idle fighting the quadzilla high idle.  Again this is not supported.   you are going to have nothing but trouble if you stack the 2.  

please review the datalogs from the smarty s03  you can accomplish the same "low end torque" using the Quadzilla alone.   once you command max fueling, you can't get anymoire "low end grunt"  if you want the quadzilla to command max fuel offidle, just psuh your foot to the floor....  

Stacking the two will result in nothing but problems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don’t get the snap from the quadzilka even on level 10 or a custom tune with the fuel stretch turned all the way up. Soooo I guess my truck isn’t gunna blow up? Or my quadzilka is garbage? Or the smarty is more powerful than 65hp? So I spent $700 extra. I guess what they say isn’t true about if you out a part on your brain just makes you think it didn’t something. I’ll figure out which one i want more and sell the other one. Or keep them both and drive it till it blows. I turned off the Hugh idle and my truck has never had a High idle. Even after the smarty install it still doesn’t have a High idle.

If you installed the smarty it now has factory high idle.  High idle is built into the "base flash of the smarty"  from this point forward you cannot use the Quadzilla high idle. If you do the truck will stall.

The smarty is a canbus fueling and timing box only.  with stock injectors you will see no more than 65 hp over stock.  with 7 x .009's it is likely 80-90hp over stock.  At peak torque using tuning, duration can be increased by %12 over stock, as rpms climb you can make that extra power by holding that fueling command at max longer.

the Quadzilla will do the same cansbus fueling adjustment, plus wiretap on top, which is good for another ~100 hp on a stock injector truck.   If you put a truck with a Quadzilla vs a truck with a Smarty ( assuming the same mods)  the quadzilla will run circles around the Smarty.  180hp vs 65 hp

I have datalogged the old quadzilla tunes and they are absolutely able to max duration off the line, you just need to use the throttle pedal.    IE if you want %100 duration you need to put your tps down to %70 throttle or more.  

Heres a datalog of sw9, see how fueling maxes at ~%25 throttle input? 
sw9lowrpm.PNG

here's another log of sw9, see how tps is actually higher? but fueling is still 4095?  

sw9.PNG

Once you hit that 4095 fueling command you can't get anymore, doesn't matter if it is a Quadzilla, edge, hypertech, or smarrty.  Max duration is still max duration.  The reason why duration can't be increased anymore is the fueling command to the VP44 has to be fit into a 2^12 message structure, the max value for 2^ is 4095.  If you try to write 5000  you still get 4095, because 5000 programmically wont fit.  

That "snap" you feel with the smarty is your butt dyno lying to you.  You put your foot to %20 throttle and your brain goes "wow so much torque"   what your brain DOESNT tell you is going to %50 throttle input results in the same exact power output.  

Where as with the Quadzilla you put your foot to %20 throttle and you get some go, your brain goes "not as fast" but if you where to put your foot to %100 throttle you would get the same power. 

You won't blow up your truck by stacking them, but you gain nothing since duration is maxed in both cases.  The only thing you gain by stacking is a jumper throttle pedal.  If you stack the smarty with the Quadzilla %100 of your fueling is shoved between %0 thottle and %15 throttle.  That makes the rest of that %85 throttle movement useless.

If you want to run the smarty that is fine, just dont stack them.  Dont stack it with an edge either.  the Only tuner that hsould be stacked with a smarty is the tst comp.   

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

OH okay that makes sense. So I’m seeing more down low cause i get 100 throttle at 15% stacking them. Okay that makes sense. So I can use the smarty for factory high idle, flash ecm, adjust tire size. So it’s not completely useless. I need to upgrade my lift pump, get a sump, and wire in new obd port as mine is wore out from probing it with my voltmeter. My buddy has an endge comp without the hot u lock. His truck was fast when he put he edge on it back in 2008/2009. He said it just gradually got slower and slower. Until it was just a little bit of black and wouldn’t get out of its own way. So I put my smarty on it and the truck was a completely different animal. What could cause this?

What would cause the truck to be "a completely different animal" ?  because %25 throttle = %100 throttle on sw9  it's your butt dyno lying.  

are you saying your truck was getting slower with only the Quadzilla?   It should be CLEAR that the quadzilla runs circles around the smarty.  

Well I had the smarty on level 9 with the quadzilka unhooked at it pulled me in the sest pretty good. Then I set ecm to stock, put quadzilla on level 5. It sucked me in the seat about the same. I can’t use level 8/9/10 as the clutch just slips as soon as the turbo spoils. Ide day the quadzilka is stronger but not by much. I don’t know how to change my signature or I wouldn’t update it to have the 7x.011 sac injectors

The quadzilla adds at least 2x more power.  you answered your own question

Then I set ecm to stock, put quadzilla on level 5. It sucked me in the seat about the same. I can’t use level 8/9/10 as the clutch just slips as soon as the turbo spoils

on lvl 6 you are adding under %33 of possible wiretap.    That extra 100 hp the quadzilla gives you is being eaten up by your slipping clutch.

It’s a brand new valair 500hp clutch. That’s the kicker. I didn’t realize how much power my truck would have. I got a buddy with a Duramax with around 450-500 that is pretty quick and he rode in it and said if my truck wouldn’t slip I would beat him. And his is automatic?

How do I edit my signature? I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Wow I could could not find  button. Thank you! Anyways, I will send off my quadzilla to have v2 software added, My airdog drops from 22/23 psi at idle to 9/10 psi at WOT. I talked to pureflow on Instagram and he said I can have mine upgrade to a 165-4g pump for $50 plus shipping so let’s just say $100. I am going to order a sump kit but I don’t have the heart to cut into my tank. I don’t like cutting holes in anything haha. That will hopefully solve pressure issues! If it does then I can move onto making quadzilka smokeless.  After that I’ll fix timing cover, and Tappet cover leaks. Silicone or gasket for timing cover? If the funds are available I’ll be getting a billet tappet cover. I haven’t figured out from who yet. I like the price of CC  it idk if it’ll work on a vp44. 

• Owner
On 12/22/2017 at 5:43 PM, Waydin_Stewart said:

My airdog drops from 22/23 psi at idle to 9/10 psi at WOT.

Something is set up wrong. Large pressure drop is a sign of flow restrictions. I'm still running a 12 year old AirDog 150 and only see 1-2 PSI drop from idle to WOT

On 12/21/2017 at 2:33 PM, Waydin_Stewart said:

I don’t get the snap from the quadzilka even on level 10 or a custom tune with the fuel stretch turned all the way up.

The "snap" is based on the CANBus fueling setup. Level only controls the wire tap for 4-10. If you want heavy throttle you can build a fuel table that ramps up really aggressive and create that power snap you are looking for. The whole thing is it takes time and effort on your behalf to create a tune that is powerful. You'll have to study timing effects and fueling to get a good tune to emerge. 

Just for fun info. I'm only running +75 HP (7 x0.0085 DAP injectors) and HX35/40 Hybrid (60/60/12) no wiretap yet and in 4th gear, I can hit WOT and break the tires loose on wet pavement easy. I've not even got into the wiretap tuning yet.