• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Two tone paint advice

Going to two tone my truck. Current color is Patriot Blue. Had it painted a couple years ago, but it's one of those you get what you pay for deal. The guy that did it used cheaper quality materials and it shows. I'm keeping the Patriot Blue so I don't need to mess with the jams and such, but adding Dark spiral gray metallic (GMC color 805K). I thought put the gray on the bottom, but my new paint guy suggests the gray on top. 

IMG_20151213_171628_941.jpg

Edited by gipperkid
  • Like 1

I call it anti-terrorist blue, lol.  If it were my truck, if the top were done then I would want the jambs to match.  Both colors are kind of dark though so you may not notice to much.  The bottom would be easier and cheaper I assume due to less paint needed.  I used some spray and peel paint on the bottom half of my truck to see if I would like it before having anything permanently done. 

Looking at your truck makes me want to get a leveling kit now. 

12 minutes ago, Sycostang67 said:

I call it anti-terrorist blue, lol.  If it were my truck, if the top were done then I would want the jambs to match.  Both colors are kind of dark though so you may not notice to much.  The bottom would be easier and cheaper I assume due to less paint needed.  I used some spray and peel paint on the bottom half of my truck to see if I would like it before having anything permanently done. 

Looking at your truck makes me want to get a leveling kit now. 

Lol. It's a bad picture to show the color. It was dusk. The jambs are already the factory color. This was total and I had to have the truck painted after putting it back together anyway. Just the first guy that did it used cheap paint and clear. I just didn't know if the gray should be top color. I am going to have him do some spray out cards to decide.

Also I don't have my leveling kit installed. Have 2" spacers on the shelf.

Here are before pictures of this same truck:

12816881_1X.jpg

12816881_4X.jpg

No kidding, that's painful to look at. 

Really, no leveling kit?  The first pic certainly looks leveled, either way it looks good. 

I guess if the paint job was crummy before, may as well redo the majority of it right.  I miss the two-tone paint scheme's, seems like manufacturers got lazy.  I could be wrong, but I think ford was the last one doing it on a regular basis, up into the late 90's.  I may have an old sales catalog from 1995 when I got my 2nd truck, I remember it showing all the different two-tone options. 

Had an 83 Chevy 1500 6.2 diesel in High school and it was two tone black top and lower body with  brighter blue color similar to the color surrounding the text box here through the mid body are, was very sharp pickup paint scheme and it was known as the "Bruze" like a black and blue mark lol.