• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stant or Gates Thermostat, any issues

i didn't have good luck with them in my 04. i went to a cummins one and it's ok now. But Mike has great luck with the Napa one, and i believe they are a Gates. i am wrong sometimes though. 

you could always drill a hole in it for overheat protection. 

I old oem worked 14 years so I replaced with same.  Wax pellet type, so not cheap.  01 with almost 90k miles, so lots so t-stat gets lots of use.   Hate to say  price was close to $80.00 if I recall right from cummins dealer (ouch) if i get 14 more years...i am happy. I am not as lucky with water pumps.

Weep hole with wobble pin.

( wife remembers maybe I got some oil also at same time?  So maybe not so much $$$. ???)

Edited by 015point9

According to what I’ve read on here & cumminsforum..... certain engine parts, like gaskets and pumps and other vital parts, no matter how unimportant they may seem, always go OEM Cummins. Sure, batteries, belts, bearings, brakes, fluids and other common maintenance items are ok to go aftermarket with. But sticking with original equipment parts on vital things is the common consensus. 

• Like 1

Been reading up on thermostats on other forums too. Found out these so called Safe-T-Stats or Fail safe stats are a Junk. they lock open at 220 or even lower and then they have to be replaced

I also ran across the below with a couple other poster confirming it... For What Its Worth...

This is a “for what it’s worth” response to those who advise on using an OEM Cummins thermostat in lieu of an after market Auto Parts Store thermostat.
I just did a successful replacement of my heater core. Before I started, I looked here on the forum for advise, and all the information was a tremendous help. So now I want to replace my thermostat. Again, I look here on the forum for advice and see several posts about only using an OEM Cummins thermostat as the after market ones fail quickly or don’t work properly. I call my local Dodge dealer and the Parts Dep’t guy says, after I give him my VIN number, that the thermostat for my ‘99 2500 is “obsolete” and no longer available. So I ask him if I brought my truck to him to replace the thermostat - what would he put in it? He said an after market one from the local Auto Parts Store. I drive to my local NAPA store and tell the guys my story. They hand me a NAPA brand thermostat that’s spec’d for my truck but also give me the name and number of a Cummins parts dealer. I call up this Cummins parts place and the guy wants the engine serial number (not the VIN). I give it to him and he matches the proper thermostat for my engine saying he has one in stock - cool !! I go and pick it up and it is identical to the one NAPA had, I mean IDENTICAL, all the way to the articulate markings and stamps. Both made in the USA. I bought the one at the Cummins place because the guy was very helpful and I was sort of committed, but took it back to NAPA for side-by-side comparison and I could find no difference between them except one came in a Cummins box and the other a NAPA. The Cummins was $42.00 and the NAPA was $25.00.
Just wanted to let you guys know that NAPA’s thermostat part number 375-190 is identical to Cummins thermostat part number 5292742, at least according to my comparison.

• Staff

I did get the Happy Meal Toy last time....... the mechanical lift pump they used to sell, by comparison, made the new version look like a toy inside. That was for my ol'e 12 valve. I was surprised to see that.

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 1