• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Making new battery cables

I soldered mine. Soldered a couple of the oe cables a while back and never noticed any wicking up the cable. I heated the lugs and melted the solder into them. Then heated the wire and put the heat back to the lug and assembled them, took away the heat and let them cool. 

I did the same with the new welding cable and experienced wicking. Y'all correct me if I am wrong here, but the solder should not wick unless the wire is hot enough to allow it to flow. Just wondering if the finer wire is transmitting the heat better up the wire?

• Owner

Typically I would dip the copper ends in flux and heat them a little bit to get the flux to flow into the strains of copper. The brush some flux into the copper lug and heat. Then start adding the solder to the lug and dip the cable into the lug and heat for a few seconds longer on the lug this should get the solder to start wicking up the cable.

Yes it was expensive but considering the transmission hunting is fixed I'd say the alternator actually was bad even though it didn't show on meter, now I have an extra deep cycle battery going back into the camper since I stole it when one of two batteries went bad awhile back.   Before this repair I new the remaining old battery was questionable and I was advised to match batteries so I did.

The battery cables well there could have been a cheeper repair but I would have only considered that a band aid as I did have pretty bad voltage drop through the starter cable and terminal ends.

So about 200 dollar upgrade the rest was needed unfortunately... 

But in the long run totally worth it no questions asked.  :thumb1:

9 minutes ago, dripley said:

I soldered mine. Soldered a couple of the oe cables a while back and never noticed any wicking up the cable. I heated the lugs and melted the solder into them. Then heated the wire and put the heat back to the lug and assembled them, took away the heat and let them cool. 

I did the same with the new welding cable and experienced wicking. Y'all correct me if I am wrong here, but the solder should not wick unless the wire is hot enough to allow it to flow. Just wondering if the finer wire is transmitting the heat better up the wire?

That's almost exactly what I noticed the fine wire was absorbing the heat far better than the terminal end

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Typically I would dip the copper ends in flux and heat them a little bit to get the flux to flow into the strains of copper. The brush some flux into the copper lug and heat. Then start adding the solder to the lug and dip the cable into the lug and heat for a few seconds longer on the lug this should get the solder to start wicking up the cable.

That is pretty much what I did and I used flux also. Never had a problem with melting the insulation. Probably did a little on the inside but was un noticeable on the outside.

Edited by dripley

A little over 200 bucks is what I had invested in building my own cables, I sourced all my parts from the local Napa and didn’t cheap out on quality parts.

As far as the mating the cable to the lugs, soldering is my only method, I use pure lead solder and brush on flux. On larger lugs I normally stick them in a vise and flux and fill them about 3/4 full of solder then stick the already tinned  cable end into the soldered terminal  and push the cable all the way in until the insulation butts right up to the lug. When cooled I like to dab a little liquid tape on the end before I heat shrink, 

@WiscoRedkneck make sure you keep those new terminals and post lightly coated with oil, that will keep them corrosion free and looking new.  :thumb1:

15 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Nice. The only thing I would do is find a high amp fuse holder and install a 180 Amp fuse or whatever the Alternator is rated for. This way the alternator is protected if a diode happens to short out then the fuse will blow and not start an engine fire. 

Are the stock alts and wiring like that?

• 1 month later...