• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3 cylinder high idle intermittently switching to 6

So it finally got cold enough to kick on the 3 cylinder high idle. After it runs for about 5 minutes I noticed that it intermittently switches to 6 cylinder high idle. I've had high idle for 3 years and this has never happened. When it does it it only does it for a second or less then it goes right back to 3 cylinder. Once it starts it does it 5-10 times per minute. I have searched on many forums with no findings of similar symptoms. Wondering if anyone has any idea on possible causes or has seen any threads with info on the topic.I'm going to attach a data log from quadzilla. It happened multiple times here 

3cylhi.csv

Here's a video, can slightly hear it

Hi.mp4

My truck did this Christmas Eve morning as it was -11 F that morning when I started it to leave Colorado. It fired and shortly after as I walked back into the house it went to 3cyl it was like the anti-stall kicked in...quick rev on all six cylinders to keep it running and back to normal and 3cyl warmup. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If you watch you'll see the grid heater kick in about the same time the engine struggles and bounces out of 3 cylinder mode and revs back up on 6 cylinder mode.

That's exactly what I figured happened. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If you watch you'll see the grid heater kick in about the same time the engine struggles and bounces out of 3 cylinder mode and revs back up on 6 cylinder mode.

This is not the case. It will do it only after running just fine on 3 cylinder for 3-5 minutes, then is random, not in concert with grid heater cycle

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Its only a blip of a cylinder coming online.  

Exactly, you can hear it in the video I posted.. It only does it for less than a second

you know what it is, it's the check in place to decide to fuel or not,  If rpms are above 1200 the quadzilla may trigger.fueling.  this is in place to allow timing adjustment nad fueling adjustment for trucks with Fly by wire CC.  

I can fix it if it is a big enough issue to warrant.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Me78569 said:

you know what it is, it's the check in place to decide to fuel or not,  If rpms are above 1200 the quadzilla may trigger.fueling.  this is in place to allow timing adjustment nad fueling adjustment for trucks with Fly by wire CC.  

I can fix it if it is a big enough issue to warrant.

Honestly if it isn't going to hurt anything or runaway I don't care. Just was nervous could be vp,ecm, or injector issue