• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

17” 3rd Gen Wheels

Preparing for 3rd gen brakes come nice weather. Looking for 17” 3rd gen wheels on craigslist now, debating steel vs aluminum. Either way, I’ll get them powder coated black. I like the look of the aluminum ones but steelies are cheap. Any downside to running the steels for now? No super heavy towing, mostly loading my 8’ bed with firewood and an occasional light trailer.

Not sure if you knew but 4th gen also fit that's what I have, sometimes you can find just as good of a deal as on 3rd gen, that is part of the reason I like factory rims because they had to meet some kind of a standard for weight rating. And the ones I got off of 4th gen it was a 3500. Not sure if weight rating on Wheels would be different.

It took me 3 months to find a set of the 3rd gen wheels for $200 or less, most people wanted $400+.  The cheapest set of 4th gen wheels I saw was $900.  I didn't really care for the way they looked though, too shallow and seemed to stuff all the tire under the truck.  I'm in no way a fan of this "stancing" everyone seems to love, but the wheels got to stick out just a bit. 

I never even saw any of the 18's, pretty much just 20's.  A few sets of those right now for $4-500 with worn tires and scratches.

Don't forget to up size your spare as well.  I almost forgot and decided to hold off on the brake upgrade until I had a 17" spare as well.  I had new tires at the time, but life likes to kick me when I'm not looking. 

9 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Personally I’d look for 4th gen 18’s. 17’s are weight limited more than 16’s and 18’s, it’s BS but it is what it is. 

You mentioned a bed full of firewood, so I’d go for at least 7K of wheels/tires which you won’t get with 17’s. 

Thought about 17's for mine but the tires cost about $25 apiece more for matching size of the Coopers I run. Never checked the loading on them. The 16" ones I bought are rated at 3560#. 

What are you seeing the 17 oe's rated at?

• Staff

17’s are rated for 3195# 

Over the last few years all the oversize, 285 etc, tires have been dropping to 3195. There are a couple still above 3195 but I suspect they will change to. 

Its not that the tires are weaker, but there is verbiage in the national tire reg (forget its exact name) that limits 17’s and apparently it’s being enforced as 17’s are dropping.

My brother and I both ran different mfgr 285/70R17’s. They used to be 3750# but now they are 3195#. He actually had to get one replaced under road hazard and has 3 3750’s and 1 3195. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Thanks 1

• Staff
25 minutes ago, CTcummins24V said:

I would have get wheel spacers/adapters to run the 18s thought because of my rear axle hubs. 

I don’t know why you would. All HD trucks have full floating axles. 

The only firment issue I know is for those with manual hubs up front. Only the steel 18’s fit without machining. 

13 hours ago, AH64ID said:

17’s are rated for 3195# 

Over the last few years all the oversize, 285 etc, tires have been dropping to 3195. There are a couple still above 3195 but I suspect they will change to. 

Its not that the tires are weaker, but there is verbiage in the national tire reg (forget its exact name) that limits 17’s and apparently it’s being enforced as 17’s are dropping.

My brother and I both ran different mfgr 285/70R17’s. They used to be 3750# but now they are 3195#. He actually had to get one replaced under road hazard and has 3 3750’s and 1 3195. 

I have had 2 sets of Nitto Duragrapplers 285/75x17 on third Gen wheels.  They are rated @ 3970 lbs.  I also have 2 sets of 3rd Gen wheels which I paid $80 for the first and $100 for the second set.  I did do a lot of watching Craigs list for them and basically first one there to make a cash offer.  Discount mentioned Nitto was probably going to not build this tire anymore because they did not make enough money on them!  =(  Have been great tires for me.

• Staff
12 minutes ago, Russ Roth said:

I have had 2 sets of Nitto Duragrapplers 285/75x17 on third Gen wheels.  They are rated @ 3970 lbs.  I also have 2 sets of 3rd Gen wheels which I paid $80 for the first and $100 for the second set.  I did do a lot of watching Craigs list for them and basically first one there to make a cash offer.  Discount mentioned Nitto was probably going to not build this tire anymore because they did not make enough money on them!  =(  Have been great tires for me.

Those are one of the last tires to hold their original rating. Based on what I’ve seen and researched I don’t expect it to last long. 

My dad runs that tire as his summer tire since he hauls a slide-in camper and needs the capacity. He hopes they hold onto the rating but we aren’t holding our breath. 

Toyo 285/75R17’s used to be rated the same. They no longer are. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Those are one of the last tires to hold their original rating. Based on what I’ve seen and researched I don’t expect it to last long. 

My dad runs that tire as his summer tire since he hauls a slide-in camper and needs the capacity. He hopes they hold onto the rating but we aren’t holding our breath. 

Toyo 285/75R17’s used to be rated the same. They no longer are. 

Very much aware of that. My '01 got totaled and took out one of the tires (not rim) is the reason for another set of wheels and tires.  Now have 3 extras to put in the rotation at some point.  I think they are great tires with a better than expected snow traction at least when new.  Probably have to do something different when they change rating.  Have you seen/heard what's up with that at all?

On 12/29/2017 at 3:51 PM, Dieselfuture said:

Not sure if you knew but 4th gen also fit that's what I have, sometimes you can find just as good of a deal as on 3rd gen, that is part of the reason I like factory rims because they had to meet some kind of a standard for weight rating. And the ones I got off of 4th gen it was a 3500. Not sure if weight rating on Wheels would be different.

Could you message me a pic of your truck with those 4th gen wheels? I am thinkin about doing his switch too. 

14 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Here are my 17s from 4th gen 

20171230_194220.jpg

20171230_194203.jpg

Ha I am so dumb I didn’t even see these before I asked for those pics! :doh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Those rims look pretty good on a 2nd gen.....What kind of tires are those?

20171230_194220.jpg

I must be old,,,, I dont go for the blacked rims.  I like the vintage rims like alcoas

• Like 1