• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

17” 3rd Gen Wheels

Who knows the specs on 3rd gen wheels? Are they forged alloy? I assume so for strength, not low pressure cast like most aftermarket.

I picked up a set from an ‘04, they are the machined version with some silver paint, not polished. I think the best way to clean them is to have them media blasted and powder coated. I’ve been reading up on powder coating with mixed messaging. Any input?

On 1/26/2018 at 5:47 PM, CTcummins24V said:

Who knows the specs on 3rd gen wheels? Are they forged alloy? I assume so for strength, not low pressure cast like most aftermarket.

I picked up a set from an ‘04, they are the machined version with some silver paint, not polished. I think the best way to clean them is to have them media blasted and powder coated. I’ve been reading up on powder coating with mixed messaging. Any input?

I could possibly be the only one here who's powdercoated third/fourth generation wheels.  I'm very pleased with how they turned out.  I really wanted to keep the original finish but this was the easiest option.  $60/wheel to blast and coat. Fast turnaround.  An establishment who specializes in it should be able to do any color you desire.        

Edited by sooxies
grammer

I already dropped them off, $300 for sand blasting and gloss black powder coat. Spoke with the guy at the machine shop for a while. He said they bake them at 375-400 degrees F for short time periods, like 10-15 minutes for pre bake and regular bake. Not hot or long enough for annealing the aluminum.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

I think I need to paint the center caps...

and I went from 285/75r16s to 265/70r17 and the wheel combo weighs 5lbs more! Oem wheels heavier?

104F183F-4327-453A-8386-AC6BAF3C103D.jpeg

56FDA96E-C867-4061-8873-5269FB6D6F94.jpeg

A37B0D46-13C2-4B04-ABD3-50B26BE75481.jpeg

2 things in play maybe. The bigger rim would have more aluminum in it. If one tire is worn out you have less rubber on it compared to a new tire. Just spitballing.

• Like 1

• Owner

More metal, more weight. Rubber has less density than metal. But don't let this blind you.  Wider faced tires contain more metal belting than a narrow faced tire. So when I compared 235 vs a 265 on both 16 inch rim was a fair measure and shedding 23 pounds of weight. Now changing the wheel added the weight back where you lost in the width of the steel belt. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man