• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Purpose of lockup switch

So if i slow down with the od on or off, where it should be in a lower gear due to rpm, will it shift if i lay into the throttle in lockup or will it just lug?

I'm assuming if it starts lugging then you just turn the switch off, get into your preferred gear then relock it again...

When slowing (on my truck at least) it’ll hold gear until I left off the switch. It WILL downshift when locked if you mash the pedal. Obviously not ideal, and I didn’t think it would, but I found out it would lol. Typically if I was doing anything WOT or close to it I don’t mess with the switch until I’m ready for it to lock in 4th. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jlbayes said:

Be a year in a week or two.

Arent you on a built trans? I personally don’t worry about it but I’ve had it built so I wouldn’t need to worry. I just think it’s good for people to know the potential risks, not saying it’s for certain.

• Like 2

• Staff
14 hours ago, jlbayes said:

I live on my lockup switch. Locked 3-4 daily. 

I love it when I'm towing my 5er.

11 hours ago, JAG1 said:

how long you been doin that?

I've been using my switch set up since April 28, 2015

5 hours ago, JAG1 said:

IBMobile, are you leaving yours locked from 3rd to 4th when hauling your fifth wheel?

All the time

If you were towing with a 5 or 6 speed transmission you wouldn't be power shifting or popping the clutch. This would put undue strain on the driveline components and eventually causing a failure.  It stands to reason then that you don't keep the throttle peddle to the floor when up shifting from 3ed to 4th with the torque convertor locked.  

When I'm towing up a long grade I'll down shift to 3ed, lock out O/D, and lock up the convertor with the momentary switch.  When I reach the top of the grade with the convertor still locked I back out of the throttle, up shift to O/D and roll back into the throttle, like shifting a manual.

When going down a long steep grade I'll slow down to 50-55 mph then down shift to 3ed  and then lock up the convertor with the foot switch option.  This will allow me to still use the foot brakes with out the convertor becoming unlocked.  Once at the bottom of the grade I'll unlock the convertor, up shift to O/D and relock the convertor with the momentary switch.  I don't like going over 55mph in 3ed  because the rpm level is high due to the 4.10 rear end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

It seems so weird to me that you want a locked converter for enhanced engine braking. I would think it’s the opposite. 

I know that some gas vehicles purposely unlock the tq converter to enhance engine braking when the service brakes are applied. 

3 hours ago, AH64ID said:

It seems so weird to me that you want a locked converter for enhanced engine braking. I would think it’s the opposite. 

Try this scenario.  Pretend you are climbing a grade with a load using 5th gear in a 6 spd manual transmission.  You crest the top of the hill and begin descending the other side.  You like the feel of the engine holding you back a little..  You approach a curve and need just a touch of brakes to help maintain your speed.  Would you shift the transmission into neutral at this time?  I don't thinks so.

If you were driving the same scenario with an automatic transmission in 3rd gear (OD locked out) with the torque converter locked up, then you would not want it to unlock the converter when you stepped on the brake.  It would be kind of like putting the transmission in neutral.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
spelling
  • Like 1

• Staff

The 47/48’s drop to N while coasting? I didn’t think they did. 

The transmissions I have driven that unlock the converter while braking have a very noticeable increase in drag with an unlocked converter as the converter has drag when unlocked, and no drag while locked. You could coast with a locked TC easily, then tap the brakes the TC would unlock and you would slow down much faster. 

I know why you want it locked for EB use, but general coasting is odd. 

Just different transmissions I supposed. 

13 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

The 47/48’s drop to N while coasting? I didn’t think they did. 

The transmissions I have driven that unlock the converter while braking have a very noticeable increase in drag with an unlocked converter as the converter has drag when unlocked, and no drag while locked. You could coast with a locked TC easily, then tap the brakes the TC would unlock and you would slow down much faster. 

I know why you want it locked for EB use, but general coasting is odd. 

Just different transmissions I supposed. 

I know that the automatic transmission does not shift into neutral when coasting, but it gives a similar sensation when the converter unlocks.  Is it possible that you are feeling a programmed downshift when the brake is tapped in the circumstance you described? 

I believe that transmissions that have the "Tow / Haul" feature will automatically downshift on a downgrade when the brake is tapped if the "Tow / Haul" feature is turned on.  In this case the converter will unlock during shift but locks up again after the shift and it is the lower gear that you feel holding you back.

- John

• Staff

It’s not a downshift. The ones that come to mind right now are the Toyota truck transmissions. There is Toyota documentation on them specifically unlocking the torque converter to improve engine braking. Not only from increased rpms, but from the increased drag of a unlocked converter, all of which is aside from any downshifts. 

• Staff

I think you guys have it wrong because when my T/C is locked on down hill grades it holds me back better than if unlocked.

Going down hill watching the tachometer... it is so nice to NOTto see the T/C slipping and building heat.

Locked in going up or down long steep grades is wonderful to get a feeling of something that works for you instead of against you.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Staff
1 minute ago, JAG1 said:

I think you guys have it wrong because when my T/C is locked on down hill grades it holds me back better than if unlocked.

Going down hill watching the tachometer... it is so nice to NOTto see the T/C slipping and building heat.

Locked in going up or down long steep grades is wonderful to get a feeling of something that works for you instead of against you.

I understand that, it’s just backwards from the auto transmission I’m more used to. They very specifically unlock while braking and it makes a big difference in engine braking.  It does warm up a little, but not too much. 

It could be as simple as TQ converter design, as one may create more drag while slipping than another. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

IBMobile and I are saying the same thing.  I hope we are not being included in the "you guys have it wrong" part.

- John