• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bucking in 4th and steady state 40 mph

martinique78

If i drive with my Quad set to stock I don't notice it.  Once i'm on level 3 and higher is get progressively worse with each jump up in level.  Sometimes its enough to make the trans downshift and upshift over and over till i get out of that area it's bucking.

Engine is completely stock and I'm running the daily tune created by the calibration creator tool on this site.

Trans was just rebuilt, pump pressure was turned up to 65 PSI.  Stock converter. 

Issue was happening before trans was rebuilt also.  Trans was rebuilt due to forward band failure. 

Edited by martinique78

sure sounds like TC unlocking and locking issues to me.  does this happen if you lock OD off by pusing hte OD button the end of the shifter?  

40 mph is awful low rpm for 4th as well.  what rpm is this happening?  

also please post up the tune so we can look at it.

Edited by Me78569

It goes away if I hit the o/d off button.  This is a Fummins swap into a 2004 Excursion.  I’m using the 47RE trans and the Dodge PCM to control it.  The truck has 4.30 gears in it which I think is the reason it shifts into 4th so soon.  I plan to swap them out to 3.73 when I get the extra money...have to do both front and rear.  Thinking the gearing might be the problem but figured I’d check here first.

It’s almost like I’m feeling the combustion cycles of the engine.  Once I accelerate to a higher rpm and speed it goes away.  At 70mph I’m turning about 25-2600 rpm.

Well I dropped the timing to 15.  That combined with installing the jumper inside the box needed for setting the map sensor for a 2002 fixed everything.  My map was reading 13 psi at idle. I’m guessing I was overfueling and it was causing a pulsing effect.

I am having same bucking issue as martinique but lowering the timing didn't help much. My truck is manual so it's definitely not t/c. It typically happens when tps is 14-20% and engine load 20-35%. I've lowered timing to 14 at 1500 rpm and 17 at 2000 rpm. I did some data logging with power level set to zero and with IAT low 55 - 70 degrees truck was running 19 degrees of timing with no bucking not sure what to try next.

• Owner

Ok, so you even tried timing as low as I'm running now. I would suggest looking into doing valve lash. It really can have a impact on performance of the engine. 

My current timing settings are 14, 17,20, 23, Max 25

Max Load Timing 1.5*

Low PSI Reduct 4*

Timing scaling 100%

Light Throttle 2*

Light throttle limit 25%

Excessive advancement typically will get the bucking going in the low end of the RPM. But like I've learned even valve lash that is excessive tight or loose can do it too. It can get so bad that it will cause the engine to stall depending on the valve lash and Quadzilla settings.