• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

intermediate miss at idle

Hello new here got a 2002 ram has intermediate miss at idle in park when engine is hot have not owned truck long when i bought had this miss put fuel additive in it it stopped drove it 500 miles no miss put exhaust on it and chip drove 1000 miles no miss added fass pump and fuel gauge got 20lbs pressure starting and at idle 75mph down the road 17lbs month later miss again if you pull in and park while at idle it will miss turn engine off for few minutes start up no miss drive five miles return home park it miss again so this comes and goes to to shop mechanic put scanner on it said no codes he said it was vp maybe but iv read where several has had similar problem changed injectors and vp still have same miss my brother has a 2000 or 2001 he had similar problem it was some kind of adapter out by the ecm or computer by air box he tried to explain to me but did not understand maybe some one here not about this I'm not oppose to buying a vp but i don't want to throw money away if not needed ( could it be a ground have checked them for being tight but did not pull lose and clean yesterday while missing push brake down miss stop could it be apps sensor truck runs great gets 18 mph ) also had problem with shifting back and forth at 45mph but cut hot battery cables of soldiered new brass ends on fixed that problem but did not do the grounds. Cable was corroded under the rubber . Sorry for the long post but tried to explain best i could thanks.

• Owner
2 hours ago, juspassinthrough said:

Hello new here

Welcome to the family...

2 hours ago, juspassinthrough said:

has intermediate miss at idle in park when engine is hot

I'm going to bet the injectors are worn out. Fairly typical sign you could pull the injectors and have them pop tested but most just replace the injectors if they have over 100k miles. What happens is the pop pressure gets to low and the injectors get pissy and the fuel will not ignite if the fuel is not atomized. So you get a miss. With a cold engine there is added throttle and timing as high as 20* BTDC but now a warm engine there is much less throttle and timing is a mere 12.86* BTDC so is more so up to the injectors to keep idle state but the spray is crappy so the miss happens. 

• Like 1

Making sure all grounds, alternator, batteries in good shape is always a first step on these trucks. Good lift pump and gauges that you have is also a good thing. I had a miss and was getting ready to change vp but it ended up being between injectors and ac noise. Did diodes but ac noise was still not acceptable,  then did armature and brushes and it was much lower, I think at idle with accessories off and grids not cycling I now have around  .03vac if I rev it up it will still climb some maybe .07 or so but it's not causing any ill effects. Don't even bother with part stores for a new alternator unless they have a genuine denso, bosh I believe is discontinued. You can get them on line for 120-140 bucks. 

Is your miss at certain rpm or mph or just random. Mine was close to 2000rpm and around 65mph 

• Like 1

If you're not going to be playing with the truck like most and just keep driving it then rv275 is the way to go, imo. Just make sure they're genuine Bosch, and you don't have to send yours in as a core, keep them for future to trade for whatever you decide if you ever get quadzilla with v2 tuning. If you get injectors make sure to get crossover tube orings, most injectors will come with new copper washers and orings. But you'll still need orings for crossover tubes.

The rv's are nice. I drove mine for 3 years or so with them alone and the truck did fine. Got a little boost in mpg to boot. The extra power of a chip is nice dont get me wrong, but for the money they are great.

I had to come back and look since I realized this is in 12v section and you have 02. You can go to your profile and fill out a signature that will appear at the bottom of each post. Put your truck info in it. 

And welcome to the farm.

Edited by dripley

• 1 month later...

650,000 MILES! this past week

Mine 99 2500, 53 block, lilt pump in tank now. 650k mi today. Afe filter cleaned once a year whether it needs it or o=not.  Same with an oil change.  up to 30k.  Several years of constantly watching alt AC and lockup issues, One ECM about 3 ev44's, no issues since lift pump to tank. Rebuilt front end mostly once and several track bars until Good Moog problem solver.Engine or head never out, valves adjusted twice,  one radiator leaked.cleaned external twice+two sets of starter contacts and one brush job.

Couple of trani output gears in to the TC.  NO other hard parts for trani.

Nw that replaced the Tappet cover and Vacuum pump seal and sleeve again and controlled most leaks, not not more thant w spots of anything, pan seeps but never off.

Uses Walmart oil from major mfg in Texas,  Uses about a quart in 1000-2000 miles.  GETS 17-21 MPG.  DRIVE IT LINK A GRANDPA EVERY MINUTE.  SELDOM OVER 54-62.  SEMI'S DRAFT NICELY.

• Like 3

Hello it smokes a little at start runs good i have 4 inch straight exhaust edge ez sump in tank fass pump 1-2 inch lines new 50hp injectors run overhead going to install bhaf tomorrow had a fram in it i no stupid ill check for boost leaks i notice bottom of turbo had oil on it i can't here turbo when running truck. Also this is stupid also order fuel filter from genos garage would not fit when you put filter in cap won't screw down had a 99 ram same way finally ordered a updated filter housing no more problems like someone changed caps this 02 is same way my brother has a 01 filter for his would not fit he had a extra so i got a filter from international dealer it worked but was shorter any ideas sorry for long message but don't understand both trucks had same issue with filters oh trucks idels 20 lb 15 down the road thanks for info ill let you no on boost.