• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New 7x10 injectors max fueling question

Kodiak24V

Just installed DAP 7x10 sac injectors yesterday in the 2001 24v. I set the quad to 150 fueling by 18psi but am only hitting 3k to 3200 max fueling. Is this normal? Should I be maxing fuel? I don't feel any power difference after installing the injectors up from stock. I'm hitting 30-34 psi on the HX35 just like before. Not really anymore smoke then stock. I started the fuel @ 95 @ 0 psi and ramped it up to 150 by 18psi and figured it would hit 4095 but it doesn't.

I figured it out. lol when I disconnected then reconnected the negative battery cables to install the injectors, the quad went back to level zero and I didn't notice... I did include 2 data logs from this morning, the egts are hitting 1500+. I had fuel starting at 100 @0 psi and reaching 150 by 18psi to try and figure out the lack of max fuel. now that its on tune 7 and not 0 its hitting max fuel and the truck pulls like crazy but is all this fuel causing the high egts? I changed the tune to start fuel @90 @ 0 psi and gradually by 2s up to max fuel at 24psi but didn't get to do a pull because of traffic.

iQuad-2018-01-08-07.27.19 12345.csv

iQuad-2018-01-08-07.31.36 123456.csv

Here is the current tune.

IMG_6912.PNG

IMG_6913.PNG

IMG_6914.PNG

IMG_6915.PNG

IMG_6916.PNG

IMG_6917.PNG

• Like 1

• Owner

I think the timing curve is too steep. You might on the edge of negative torque and not getting the power on the upper end. I would start pulling down timing and retesting I bet the power comes on better. It's hard to explain in text what proper timing is like. Like my cruise timing has a very very light injector rattle. The performance side is nearly silent but there is a faint injector rattle. I really do think you are way too high on the timing curve.

• Owner

7 x 0.010 might need just a bit less timing compared to 7 x 0.012 injector. Surely will take more timing than my 7 x 0.0085. This is the tough part of figuring this out. There is no exact math formula or spreadsheet like common rail guys use. I've found if you think that is good power start inching back and seeing if the power is gained or lost. If you have an app like Palmer Performance that does 0 to 60 MPH times to can verify your numbers because as you get closer to good timing your 0 to 60 MPH times will decrease. 

It's a bummer because this thing seriously pulls like a freight train now. But I'm seeing crazy EGTs. I've scaled back the fueling a lot and it still leaves a smoke screen behind me when giving it the beans. Also I had the 3-4 shift (from my other post i.e. High load/stock injectors w/ 3.55s and 36" tires) pretty dialed in with the stock injectors turned up but trying to do that with the new injectors just causes a smoke fest and idle seems to surge and it sounds like a gas motor with a nasty cam shaft. Really lopey.

IMG_6924.PNG

IMG_6926.PNG

• Owner
11 minutes ago, Kodiak24V said:

High load/stock injectors w/ 3.55s and 36" tires

Change you gearing in your axles and that truck will fly. I'm not joking. Your tires are way too big for 3.55 gearing and that putting you way up at like 3.05 final ratio. That is more damaging to the driveline that anything. 

26 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Change you gearing in your axles and that truck will fly. I'm not joking. Your tires are way too big for 3.55 gearing and that putting you way up at like 3.05 final ratio. That is more damaging to the driveline that anything. 

I know. It sucks. I bought the truck like this 6 months ago. Had been looking for a 2nd gen for 2 years with no luck. This one is in awesome shape and the guy I bought it from did a lot of work to it fixing leaks and ball joints and made a really sharp looking truck. i knew the gearing would suck but the condition of the truck out weighed the cons of the gears. I guess I need to put some numbers together for a gear swap. I do all my own stuff but gear swaps are above my pay grade.

Your tune is starting way to low for those injectors.  I might ask DAP to go over the injectors again.  I know @dodgeih was fighting similar issues and the injectors, not dap in this case, where to blame. It could be that something is up with your set.  It happens.

The gearing doesn't help but you should be able to tune it smoke free, it would be a pig, but it would be smoke free.

Edited by Me78569

• Owner
21 minutes ago, Kodiak24V said:

i knew the gearing would suck but the condition of the truck out weighed the cons of the gears. I guess I need to put some numbers together for a gear swap. I do all my own stuff but gear swaps are above my pay grade.

I've got a local guy with twin turbos and 24V truck on 37" tires running 4.11 gear and it's a screaming machine. Final ratio that is close to 3.55 to 3.73 ratio will net the best overall highway performance. The engine will spool much faster and the efficiency will be much better. 

I agree. 4.10 is what I'd be going for. I've had a few lifted trucks and did gears but this is my 1st lifted diesel truck, I was hopeing the low revs would be good for the low end torque and low revs of the cummins but I guess I was just teasing myself. For more air/bigger turbo do you think it's worth doing a HX35 62mm wheel hybrid? I've only got $250 in this HX35. And of course I have no idea how much longer my trans will hold up. It seems to be taking the abuse so far. It has a upgraded single disc torque converter, but unknown what's inside.