• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Door hinge

Drivers side door sounds like creaky old wooden porch.  I've changed a couple over the years on different cars.  2nd gens have big door.  I see "doorman" brand has them.  Not overly impressed with "doorman" quality, but don't know of better quality brand.  

Anything I should be aware of?

4 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

And that's all I've ever used is Dorman I believe, are you just doing new pin and bushings

Yes and will be all by myself, no help.   Mentally working project through my head, I think I 'll be OK but not 100 percent sure.

• Staff

I changed pin and bushings once on my first gen. I opened the door over a two foot ladder and used blocks to support the door in neutral position to help me. The problem was that the new bushings didn't fit snug anymore since the hinge had worn a little too far and bushings were loose. I ended up buying a new hinge. It was almost 200 bucks from LMC but made the door line up and close like a new truck. It was many years since the door had closed and worked so well.

I would go for a whole new hinge from my experience, if the hinge holes are the least bit worn.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
2 hours ago, 015point9 said:

Yes and will be all by myself, no help

Place a floor jack under the door with a block of pine wood between them.  The jack will support the door and the soft pine wood will not mar the bottom of the door.   I've done this many times on cars with success.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Place a floor jack under the door with a block of pine wood between them.  The jack will support the door and the soft pine wood will not mar the bottom of the door.   I've done this many times on cars with success.

Have used a motorcycle/quad jack also .....

Used some bushings for a GMC .... they were a little larger and fit the worn holes better.

• Like 1

OP here...I use white lithium spray oil and other stuff when it starts squeaking. Silicone spray with ptfe's worked best.  To me when the pin rides into last slot it hangs up there.  I didn't think about it when posting but maybe I could just get the bushing.  On my 87 ford  I just replaced a big eyelet and a grommet looking thing.  I might not need entire hinge.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Are you using motor oil on your hinges? A friend sprayed WD 40 on mine but didn't last long. Started to squeak right after about a month. Grease is good but doesn't get between parts so fast.

I use motor oil but before it if I have to brake something lose or get oil residue deep down I use PB Blaster and then oil. WD40 is garbage imo.