• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Consensus on tapped pump

• Staff

For 00-02 the best filter for the OEM canister is the Baldwin PF7977 rated at 5µ absolute. 

42 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

All right here...

That page needs updated, it lists discontinued filters as well as filters that have MUCH worse than stock ratings. The specs for the best filters aren't even on the page, which means people likely won't choose them. It also lists the 1R-0750 and 1R-0751 which have the wrong thread size for an AD. 

None of the Air Dog part numbers have the flow rating for their pump, huge lack of research, and shouldn't be run. Their original f/w sep wasn't even rated as a f/w sep and was only rated for 20 GPH

The only f/w sep filter I've found that fits the AD oddball thread size is the Baldwin BF1275. It's rated for 120 GPH, 99% free water removal, and 96.5% emulsified water sep. It's acceptable for the flow to be less than the pump rated flow as long as there is pressure. The 150 GPH of the AD is only at 0 psi, so as long as you have 10+ psi you shouldn't be flowing more than 120 GPH, but even if you are there isn't another option. 

In terms of final filtration the AD filters also fall short on GPH as they are only rated for 60 GPH. The donaldson P551315 is rated for 90 GPH, and it's a true 3µ. (The AD "2µ" filter, FF5613 is actually a 5µ filter). 

I haven't gotten flow specs on it yet but the FF5817 has the best media and should be at least 90 GPH as it's a cross for the P551315.  

Which Fleetguard do you run? 

• Owner

Can't speak for FASS at all. I'm pretty sure DAP sells Donaldson for FASS as well you might call and ask.

AirDog all the filter and water seperators are listed. As for the water separators, it not what you think. Just a steel mesh filter and that it. The water is just allowed to settle in the bottom. 

Image result for mopar1973man fuel filters

@Mopar1973Man what do you use to cut filters upart, I've seen some what looks like chain on vise grips with bunch of roller cutters that would fit anything from 2 to maybe 6" diameter but I can't seem to find what the exact name for them is to buy a set.

Edit: Here is a couple I just found first one is for exhaust but it may work on a filter

https://m.ebay.com/itm/GearWrench-2031DD-Exhaust-and-Tailpipe-Cutter/272996967336?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20171010182013%26meid%3Da7377f09f7a943b8988bc5561588e25d%26pid%3D100890%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D222538574392&_trksid=p2056116.c100890.m2460

This other one is for filters and looks like there are other versions

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Filter-Cutter-Inspection-FREE-SHIPPING-IMCA-USMTS/322599142034?hash=item4b1c684292:g:MhwAAOSwGIRXaAvX

Edited by Dieselfuture

• Staff
44 minutes ago, notlimah said:

So what do you recommend for fuel and water separation filters on the FASS and Airdog pumps?

AD

BF1275/FF5817

FASS

If it's older get the thread adapter to run 1-14" threads. It's available from FASS

BF1212 or FS1000 and a FF5814

31 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

AirDog all the filter and water seperators are listed. As for the water separators, it not what you think. Just a steel mesh filter and that it. The water is just allowed to settle in the bottom. 

Like I said that listing is old, and inaccurate. It needs updated or deleted. It leads people down a road to worse filtration than stock, which isn't what people want. 

If that filter you showed is the one you run then it's a good thing you have the OEM canister still. 

For the 3rd time, @Mopar1973Man, what filters do you run?

• Staff
34 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Donaldson, fleetguard, AirDog, what ever is cheaper it the time.

With the vast variety of different specs and filters I’d pick a filter with the right specs and run it. It’s only going’s to be a couple of bucks, at most, and that’s cheaper than fuel system maintenance for a contamination issues. 

• Staff
6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Apparently my 243k pump didn't mind. 1/4 million miles was good run for my VP44. Not bad in my book.

No it's not bad, but it only takes one load of bad fuel to trash a fuel system. 

We know you get good fuel based on your lack of winter additives and proper operation, but like I said.. it only takes 1 bad tank. 

• Owner

I'm picky about fuel suppliers. No mom and pop fuel stations. High volume diesel suppliers. I've been known to ask if thee pumps have water blocking filters or not. I've only had one bad tank YEARS ago from a mom and pop station that trip the WIF light twice going 15 miles. That's what got me studying suppliers and handling practices.

I just look at the multitude of OTR trucks that pump thousands of gallons of diesel without much issues. 

But that is also why I'm double stacked in filters so I can prevent bad fuel issues from ever reaching the VP44 which to this day I always carry a spare filter under the back seat. (Fleetguard spin on) Matter of fact last weak I checked my water seperator and there was ZERO water after 100k miles. High quality fuel does reduce the problems and the risk.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

ZERO water after 100k miles

So is this mean you change factory filter at that interval or is this on AD filter that has a drain. 

Also I think a lot of fuel issue has to do with EPA making gas stations update their ground tanks and smaller places can't afford that and instead take the deal from government on having someone dig up old tanks and lots of dirt that was contaminated and not putting new tanks in. They actually get some money to take care of old tanks but it's peanuts compared to putting new tanks in, so most just stop selling fuel and if can't stay busy other ways go out of business. So I think bad fuel will be more of a rare occasions with time.

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

So is this mean you change factory filter at that interval or is this on AD filter that has a drain. 

Also I think a lot of fuel issue has to do with EPA making gas stations update their ground tanks and smaller places can't afford that and instead take the deal from government on having someone dig up old tanks and lots of dirt that was contaminated and not putting new tanks in. They actually get some money to take care of old tanks but it's peanuts compared to putting new tanks in, so most just stop selling fuel and if can't stay busy other ways go out of business. So I think bad fuel will be more of a rare occasions with time.

Or do what my city did...when the city bought out the property where I used to work, the city hired engineer after engineer to certify ground was good.  After about the  8th engineering firm finally one said soil was ok.  

When we were using in ground tanks we used to loose couple hundred gallon each month.  Corp finally gave in to on site delivery truck.  Underground tanks left in place until Gov't built on property.

But not as bad as fork lift repair shop in back of us that dumped used oil on storm drain.  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Apparently my 243k pump didn't mind. 1/4 million miles was good run for my VP44. Not bad in my book.

I have 218k on mine now. Hope to surpass you, but she might go tomorrow, who knows. I am always traveling different routes when I change jobs but have had pretty luck and bad loads of fuel. I do get some water occasionally but never seem to drain much water from the separator and have never seen WIF light. Hope my luck holds.:pray:

• Owner
5 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

So is this mean you change factory filter at that interval or is this on AD filter that has a drain

Change both filters at 60k miles. Normally don't touch the water separator on the AirDog. I double check the contents of the stock filter at 60k but always water free.

• Like 1

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Change both filters at 60k miles. Normally don't touch the water separator on the AirDog. I double check the contents of the stock filter at 60k but always water free.

Wow that's a long interval. It explains why you have a descent amount of visible asphaltene buildup on your stock filter. 

Based on the research I have done on filters I recommend 30K miles, 18 months, or until you see a pressure drop and whichever comes first. This is longer than you will find any filter mfgr recommend as well.