• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Unidentified aftermarket transmission tuner boxes, with pics.

I have had a 99 Ram 2500 for 15 years... but, sadly, I had to smash that truck..... I went and found another, and I am in the beginning stages of making 2 trucks into one epic machine...

I will be around here for a bit...I was actually a member of this site about 10-12 years ago... Couldn't remember my old login, so I made a new one... I guess my beast was pretty damned reliable!

So, this new truck has these aftermarket transmission lock up boxes on it, and I've never had to deal with them before... I had the trans in my old truck built to the hilt, indestructible!!! $7000... I was pushing 500hp/1000ft/lb... No problem.... Its built for 1000 Ft/Lbs...  but I digress... It'll end up in the new truck eventually. My goal right now, is to make this drivetrain as reliable as I can, So I can sell it when I get around to swapping my pumped motor and trans into this truck.

this new truck is supposed to have a shift kit, or whatever in it. I can feel a firm shift, so i believe it. it's also got a deep sump pan on it, so someones been in there fooling around...

My problem is that it does weird crap with the shift timing... Like... I accelerate on the highway, and it wants to rev to near red line before it shifts. and it also wants to drive in 3rd gear for about a 1/4 mile at a sustained 55-60 mph before it will shift into overdrive... Its F***ing annoying!!

I cant identify the boxes, because some jerk epoxied one unmarked black plastic box to the the other aluminum box, blocking the entire label.... and they are both tapped into the CPU on the passenger firewall... It's a dirty nasty install. I'm not worried though, I have a duplicate of everything on the old truck....

So, here is the challenge for the day.... I'm going to post some pics... Please take a look for me.

What are these boxes? Where can I download some manuals? Or, does someone know how to tune these things?

Thank you so much!!!

Strange box 1.jpg

strange box 2 - Copy.jpg

i said it was a dirty install... its tapped into the wires of the CPU on the firewall.... any idea how to adjust it?

I also am confused as to why my old 99 has OD on/off button on the end of the shift lever, and this new truck doesnt... theres not even a light for OD in the gauge cluster... ????

I have the manual for my ats co pilot it looks similar, but i think i have one more setting on mine , i only see 3 settings on yours. When i get back out to my shop i will snap some pics for you, you tune it with a small screw driver, and make adjustments according to speed and when you want lock up and overdrive to engage. To adjust mine you need to be able to see the lights come on and off to know where your at, I’m not sure how you will do that with it being under the hood. Is there enough wiring on the harness where you could get it in the cab to adjust? I’m working nights this week will try to get pics of my manual up for you sometime tomorrow.

Thanks KS for the replies guys. Been busy and haven't been able to respond... 

This box has 2 LEDs, and one adjustment screw... I haven't had time to screw with it... It does seem to take a long time at 55 to shift into overdrive... Sometimes, mostly... LOL! 

I have no idea what the other box does. It has only one adjuster as well... I see no way to turn them off, and can't even tell if they are even on. LED lights aren't on... All wires seem to be connected (spliced)... There are no switches inside the truck. And it doesn't have exhaust brake... Been thinking about just removing them entirely... The wires are really short for something that seems to have been installed inside the truck, so I'm thinking they were used when installed... The guy I bought the truck from isn't a mechanical kind of guy, so yes no help. It's mostly why he sold the truck. He's just not suited to deal with a Gizmo Dodge.