• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Prolonged starting after springs and pushrods

So I finally got around to installing the 103lb springs and pushrods which went well started truck with no problems and runs well. But after sitting over night had to turn over quite a bit to get it to fire off. I think I must have a leak somewhere between vp and injectors but I can't see one. I used all new o-rings from DAP and new copper washers I was a little hesitant about the washers though b/c new ones were 1.5mm and old were 2 mm but guys at DAP said it should be fine. Any ideas where to start? 

If you pulled injectors out then maybe connecting tube to injector could be leaking, losing prime that way. Did you make sure old washers came out with injectors. May want to double check valve lash, when I did my head gasket I got all valves adjusted and then rotated engine over few times and rechecked and almost all were lose so I went through and did them again. Something must of settled. 

Fuel pressure is normal 15 lbs at idle then up to 18 at cruise speed. I rotated engine over a few times and rechecked valves so I don't think that'll be the problem plus only does it after sitting say over night. Finished it yesterday cranked a few times no problem let it sit over then when cranked to go to work spun over quite a bit before. Drove to lunch cranked as normal then when leaving work prolonged cranking again. I also double checked that I didn't leave old washer in injector hole. If it's leaking between injector line and injector (tube) will it fill crankcase with fuel?

• Staff

Make sure factory fuel filter is at 25 ft lbs and not cracked. They sometimes crack if you use the 1/2'' square drive in the center. Better to use the big socket which is 1 1/6th or 1 1/8th when torqueing.

After a run check for any wet/ weepage at the high pressure lines. Need to run your fingers around each connection and then check your finger tips for wet fuel. Can't always see it on the lines.

So yesterday when I got home before turning truck off I cracked a few of the injector lines loose to bleed off any possible air or re-seat them and truck cranked normal all day today so fingers crossed that did the trick

• Like 1

If it is running smoothly you have no air in it at that time.  Check the banjo on back of the head and re tighten or put the rubber washers back on.  It is probably getting air in while sitting overnight.  Does it start fine a few minutes after shutting off, but not while sitting several hours?