• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Died after installing Edge

I just got done installing the Edge Juice/ Attitude CS2 on my 1998 24V with 160K. I was fortunate to be able to use my daughters heated pole barn since it is quite cold here.

It started up fine and ran smooth right off. I took it for a test ride and pulled over a couple miles out to let things warm and get familiar with the control. After about 5 minutes I set the control at 0 and ran it up to about 55 to get a feel. I then turned around and set it at 2 and punched it to the floor and was quite happy with the extra power. I was just about to back off at about 55 when it died completely. Coasted to a stop and tried to restart it. It cranked over good but nothing.

At this point the screen said "Failed to connect with juice. check all connections". I replugged the connections and still nothing. Tried this few more times, called the wife for a tow and at this time the guy who's house I was in front of came out.Turns out he has a 99 with a quadzilla and was quite familiar with this truck. (also recommended this site)He gave me tow back and started to look things over. Noticed that the voltage was 12.7. I just put mew batteries in last summer and had them topped off while doing the install. He also noticed that the control said it was cranking at about 220 RPM although it was cranking very enthusiastically he thought it should have read at least double that. Still nothing, he left and I towed it back in the shed.

I continued to get the failed to connect screen, disconnected everything removed both grounds from the batteries, reconnected them and still won't start. Disconnected the grounds again, reinstalled the Edge and still nothing with the failed screen again. Put the charger on over night. Had 12.9 this morning, no failed screen but still won't start.

I will call Edge Monday but am out of ideas for now. Also, I did not have a meter with me to check voltage at the posts.

• Owner

First off we need some back diagnostics. Is there any error codes present using a standard OBDII code reader? Lot of error codes will not trip the CEL. There are error codes that will possibly prevent the truck from starting so this why I'm asking about error codes.

Second off I would remove the Edge completely to aid in diagnostics of the truck to ensure the Edge is not to blame in the starting problem. Need to get back to the stock truck just to be sure.

Do you have good fuel pressure from the lift pump? I know the gauges on the Edge will be gone if its all unplugged. You going to need a mechanical gauge for testing purpose.

I forgot to mention the codes.

At first check there was P 0237 for engine coolant temp. I am thinking this one was an old one from last fall when I had to let it cool down going into the mountains in CO. At the time of the failure the truck had not yet warmed completely.

Later last night after many tries P 0217 came up. I don't remember what that was for but it nothing significant.

I do not know how much pressure the lift pump is putting out. The guy that towed me was going to check but didn't have the right connection for his gauge.

I did loosen the banjo bolt on top of the filter and made a mess when I cycled it.

I can't find the fuel pressure and trans temp on the Edge display.

• Owner

There are the two codes you provided. 

28 minutes ago, Toolmaker said:

I did loosen the banjo bolt on top of the filter and made a mess when I cycled it.

But this doesn't tell us if the pump is creating enough pressure to keep it running under load. You could have 1 PSI of pressure and make a mess but that wouldn't be enough to keep the VP44 happy under load. Still, need to verify that after you do get it running by rehooking up the Edge and seeing your fuel pressure. You might check fuses too might of cracked or blown a fuse somewhere preventing things from running. Check then with a test light or an ohm meter. 

Once the Edge Juice is disconnected I would attempt to prime and start the engine again by cracking 1,3,4 injector lines and see if it starts up. 

14 psi would be minimum to look for and that is at full throttle. If you are still running the stock pump on the block,good luck. It would be good if you would go back to your profile and fill out a signature with every thjng you know about the truck. It helps alot.

Cracking the injectors means loosening the nuts on the head. 1 3 and 4 are the easiest to loosen. I do mine a couple turns so the fuel does not spray every where. There will be agood flow of fuel if the sytem is primed. 

I spent some time on youtube and surfing through other comments on the fuel pumps so I am going to pick up a gauge and I think I will replace the lift pump. The pump that is in there is the original so from what I have been reading it has served it's purpose.

Would a FASS ddrp be a good pump for my application? I really just want a bit more performance out of the motor and will not do any more mods.

• Owner

I really don't like any of the DDRP solutions. Simply the pump is not designed to be on the block it needs to be moved back near the fuel tank and all the fuel lines including the pickup assembly needs to be upgraded to 1/2" plumbing. Where the stock lines are 6mm ID and are too small from the get-go.

Comparing 1/2" fitting to 6mm stock fuel line...

Image result for mopar1973man vulcan big line kit

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

I got back over there after work and did some more checking. All of the fuses are fine. I figured out how to get the fuel pressure gauge up on the Edge monitor. Bumped the key and only got 10lbs max each time I tried.

I cracked 1,3,4 injectors and cranked for 5 seconds. It was wet around them but not flowing.

I also disconnected the Edge and grounds for a bit. Hooked the grounds back up and the truck still won't start. No surprise there but I had to try.

So I will get a lift pump and I bet an injector pump will be right behind. Does sound about right?

I would not right the VP off just yet. If you did suck some air in the fuel system 5 seconds of cranking is most likely not going to push it out. How much fuel is in the tank? If you are real low add 5 gallons to the tank. How did you read your codes?

When my oe lift pump went out the truck just died and would not start. Did not know squat about the fuel system back then and just took it to a dealer. Back then 10 psi of pressure at idle is all Banks told me I needed to add the set up I bought from them. WOT was not even mentioned. You might be sitting at 0 psi but would not know until you get the engine running. I would try cranking on it some more with the lines open and see if you can't get some fuel out of them. If you start seeing fuel flowing close the one getting fuel and so on. Might take 5 seconds or 15 minutes. If you have 10 psi it ought to start.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Basically you want to get to the step where you unplug the VP44 and hook power only to the pump and then attempt to start. I will suggest to not cut any wiring... Some members like @dripley cut some wires and things have not been right since. 

A couple of issues I had predated the wire cutting. I only cut the wires on the advice of Chip, against my better judgement, I sure felt like he knew what he was talking about. Some other issues seem to move around. Like wac-a-mole.

But I'd agree with @mopoar1973man about cutting any wires. Don't unless there is no other choice.

OK, the injector pump did not check out so I have a new one coming along with a lift pump.

I got the old injector pump out and the boss on the support bracket was broken off. I wouldn't think that you would need it but there must be torque or vibration out there. I will either weld the boss back on or put on the piggy back bracket that I made up. I could only get the top screw out (why a torx?) so I will use a hex bolt and maybe a spot of weld on top.. That should get tighter than the torx.