• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

changed filter no start

stratosss

I have recently changed my fuel filter and now the truck will not start. During this process my fuel gauge is now not working. Mine has been retrofitted with the pump in the tank . On the fuel pump relay I have 12v on pin 30 but when I try to crank no voltage at pin 85 or 86 I can jump 12v from pin 30 to 87 and the pump will run. Any help is appreciated

• Sad 1

• Staff

I'm not sure on the 04's but it should work only when you just bump the starter... should run the pump for 25 seconds or so. After engine starts it runs the pump almost continuously.

When I had the intank lift pump I could bump the starter, open the fuel cap and listen down there for the lift pump running.

You will have to reprime the whole fuel system to get it started. Did you fill up the fuel filter before closing?

Welcome to the best truck community in the world :whistle::thumb1: Well... its a good place to hang around anyway

Edited by JAG1

• Owner
22 hours ago, stratosss said:

I can jump 12v from pin 30 to 87 and the pump will run.

Pump does run @JAG1 . If here jumps the relay socket. So this still points back to an ECM failure of the pump circuit. 

You could wire up a toggle switch for the temporary fix but I do not suggest that. to easy to forget to turn it on or leave it on and create issues. Not to mention safety issue of the fuel pump continuing to pump if you are in an accident. Like I said a toggle switch or wiring to the keyed side of the ignition switch is a temporary fix at best. 

We do have a ECM/PCM rebuilder list on the site so you can get your ECM repaired. 

• Staff
22 hours ago, stratosss said:

After I changed the filter I turned key over about 7 Times to prime the filter that's when I found that my fuel pump was not working.

Did you turn the key to on, or bump it to start and then back on?

The 2004 is programmed to run for 20 seconds after a crank-bump, but 0 seconds after a long crank or if it's been running. So just cranking on it won't prime the system. 

The pump often won't run if you just go to on, it also doesn't run while cranking. 

So far I am not convinced there is an issue. 

So try this. 

Turn the key to "ON", then quickly to Start and back to "ON". You should hear the pump run. 

Repeat this 3-4 times, and then try to start it. 

It's doubtful anything failed at the exact time you replaced the filter, thou nothing is impossible.

Edited by AH64ID