• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Before I begin , I am going to lay down some ground rules. Please only post pertinent topic related questions. The basis for this area is the dreaded ac ripple and its effects on our beloved diesels, but, the information posted here is also applicable to all dc generation based systems , and as such at times some of the posted content may seem far afield but I assure you it is relevant. With that said, I am in pursuit of a method to filter out ac ripple  from the alternator to the system as a whole. I am currently in r&d mode but will be in initial beta within two weeks.

my Goals for this endeavor are three fold

1. Find a way to filter  a.c. ripple out of the alternator feed so that the entire electrical system is protected from this effect

2. create a pre and post ac ripple alert meter that is both simple and cheap to produce so that monitoring of this phenomenon is possible

3 as a side of this project, beyond a.c. ripple our trucks also suffer from a serious deficiency in dc output due to  not only the toasters kicking in but also from add on electronics like lights       and pumps and winches, but also old man time.

with that said I am going to jump in to some basic field theory for ac to dc generation as is pertinent to our systems

actual alternator generation is ac or full wave at the armature due to the three equidistant armatures on the alternator shaft these three armatures generate a full wave ac pulse with each revolution which then must be converted to dc via  a rectifier bridge. Basic rectifier bridges consist of four diodes that are connected in a unique way to guide and redirect the current which results in a dc or half wave segment. the problem is diodes generate heat and they also are not 100% efficient. the heat is annoying and will eventually take its toll but its not the heat we have a problem with. the realm problem is the efficiency rating and design of the diodes in the rectifier bridge. the inability to get a 100% efficiency will always plague us you cant get something for nothing. From basic physics to thermos dynamics you're gonna pay a fee or toll every time you do something different than what's already happening, hence the heat. The ac ripple is a very small percentage of the full wave that the diodes just cant convert due to inefficiency thus we get what engineers call acceptable ripple percentage. Unfortunately things like sensors and computers find ac ripple to be about as fun as 4 molar extractions at the budget dentist and will act out in new and interesting ways when fed  a steady ripple diet. What was that I heard you think.......well surely the engineers that designed our trucks new about this and protected the system from it right I mean their engineers with degrees and such. WRONG! Its called planned obsolescents they know its gonna kill it one day and to them that means more parts sales more dealership business and more new car sales , I mean why the hell would they fix it its genius really. so what is the answer, obviously buying new computers and other devices to replace old ones isn't ideal either is buying new more expensive and less reliable I might add due to world wide outsourcing alternators, so what to do ??????? well ill tell you. I am cabout mid way on this so far and I think ive got all three well I know 2 of them are solved but 1 I'm about 80% on right now so grab your popcorn and read on

OUTLAW7

ac ripple.pdf

apprippl.pdf

E02064249.pdf

inductor.pdf

rectifier cfilter.pdf

rectifier circuits.pdf

ripple_formula.pdf

ripple_volts.pdf

voltage sensor.pdf

I'm going to be needing volunteers to perform testing and results soon guys I'm actually creating an area just for this purpose if your interested please check out the volunteers section thank you

All work and no play makes ................for some real interesting discoveries.....like the fact.........that some how my text size had changed from 14 down to 8 who knows???

ok on the subject of toasters and our trucks, this is what I recommend for a start, and no it aint cheap but I mean lets face it if we were that concerned with money we dam sure wouldn't drive diesels itd be a prius or somethin:nadkick:. Anyway here is what I recommend.

1 run the highest cca batteries that you can, why because the higher the cca the higher the ah rating which means a larger reservoir of energy= voltage from which to smooth out those 190 amp toaster surges. At one time Walmart( cringe ) had everstart 34d 1100cca batteries and if you think an extra 300cca don't matter think again because it does

2 replace all your current battery cables if you haven't already and do so with a minimum of 1/0 I recommend 2/0 though and splurge for these littler devils

del city fusion batt cons.pdf

these fusion clamps already contain solder and flux, you place it in a vice prep your battery cable and then use a torch to heat up the clamp . once its smoking stuff the prepped cable end in and hold it till it sets usually bout 30 secs then douse it in fresh cool water and your done. no crappy clamps no stray wires no bs and you can slide a nice purty section of heat shrink over it for a pro finish and you'll have a cable with no loss and years of service.

3 install high idle https://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/aclk?sa=L&ai=Ciild1x1pWtC7Lsu--QLokL_IAqXVnbEFjdzCup8Cpp6tjWsQByDGnasoKA1gye66hsCj_BTIAQGoAwHIAwKqBLMBT9DQTwOzvgbo7G4QQxt5Z38ZL7cIGZSaB3As58sSeuVK13G2wDirHNZV5HIP5laDJ8jXw2akFGspVwU6Tp4tyR-CMlIcNoxHXwtJETslqpdbBbqMx4F3KslE_Xjw0TRCZyJSdWgtgvi0tSGW8yPzU_HSxgXC4Uk5XmG1WONXMMa2Xz6gBE9Z9ZGq7xj2QgOtU5rb1k4DDlTG88GtfQi_nFrFwwMsrwbh9f2Z685bifos8vKgBkXABguAB-X34jWoB6a-G9gHAdIIBwiAYRABGAKACgE&num=7&sig=AOD64_1rpJleGGW8UNfA29BfKF0TaYLG9A&adurl=https://mopar1973man.com/store/product/47-mopar1973man-high-idle-switch-kit/

this is mopar1973man's cool setup  a nice lookin deal and I'm gonna be getting it for mine when time and finances allow

4 invest in a hi output alternator, this ones really a no brainer guys . after startup the grid heaters hit  at 190 amps or more depending on age ( were lookin in to that one) and obviously the higher the rated output of an alternator the higher the idle or hi idle output your gonna get. there are a few aftermarket setups out there I am not in a position to recommend but there are other forum articles on here that can steer

you right.

5 use a larger alternator feed I'm going with 2 gauge for the simple fact that it will suck every last amp and volt out of your alternator and deliver it to the distribution block again high quality cable and ends.

6 go through all your grounds and clean them or update as necessary. I read were someone on here got a high output alternator  and they put a ground cable from the alternator to the battery, I also have done this , I m also running a ground to my ecm ...why???? well as metal ages it loses its continuity. or its ability to ground so by adding grounding into the system via direct tie in you guarantee your ground is good

I'm very close on my research and will continue to update my progress until then this is what you can do to keep her purring, I also recommend regular ac ripple tests for good measure like oil changes

]

till next time OUTLAW7