• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Potential problems?

• Owner
16 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Boost I’m making like 3 psi at 35mph in 5th gear. Is that too high for just cruising? 

Assuming you've got a stock turbo which would be an HX35 (54/60/12). It's about normal being they spin rather easy. 

17 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

So I got home from a trip to California for a week and came back to find out my truck seems sluggish for some reason! I’m not sure why it feels that way maybe I’m just dreaming

Hard telling unless there is more data. Error codes? Any live data from the engine? 

How about your wire tap? If your wire tap is weak or bad it will create the sluggish performance.

12 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Assuming you've got a stock turbo which would be an HX35 (54/60/12). It's about normal being they spin rather easy. 

Hard telling unless there is more data. Error codes? Any live data from the engine? 

How about your wire tap? If your wire tap is weak or bad it will create the sluggish performance.

No codes. I’ll have to check the wiretap tonight. Seeems it is worse at low rpms. At 1850 rpm it will take off it feels like. 

Is there a way to test the Vp44? It is only 15k miles and 4 yrs old but there’s a chance it was a bad pump when installed or it is just low quality and going downhill.

• Owner

What you need to do is find the wire at the Edge Juice module and unplug it and probe the socket with the key on and the voltage should be the same as the battery voltage at key on. This will verify the wire tap is solid.

Remember Edge Juice performance is based on IAT and ECT temperatures. Colder on both the more sluggish it will become.

Double check your sublevel setting on your main level.

5 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

What you need to do is find the wire at the Edge Juice module and unplug it and probe the socket with the key on and the voltage should be the same as the battery voltage at key on. This will verify the wire tap is solid.

Remember Edge Juice performance is based on IAT and ECT temperatures. Colder on both the more sluggish it will become.

Double check your sublevel setting on your main level.

I’ll do that. Hoping to install Bhaf tonight so hopefully I’ll see a difference there.

sub levels are all on 4. 

Do you have a test procedure for apps? Possibly could be a issue too? 

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Watch your live data and see if there is any drop outs in voltage. If you had a Quadzilla I would say just watch the fuel signal if your reaching 4,095 then APPS is fine and making full throttle. The only other problem is weak spots where voltage drops quick.

Will do. what about testing the Vp44?

Well I got my bhaf in! Increased fuel eco by .5 mpg so far. Have not had the time to troubleshoot anything else yet. I have two more potential problems. One is that when installing bhaf there was a pretty good amount of oil film on the turbo inlet and wheel. Is this normal or not?

Two when I am slowing down to turn or stop I get a ticking noise that’s fairly loud. Seems like it’s worse in 4th and 5th gear. Any ideas on that? Hopefully I can resolve these issues and get it running perfect soon! :hyper:

• Owner
19 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

One is that when installing bhaf there was a pretty good amount of oil film on the turbo inlet and wheel. Is this normal or not?

Not normal. If the old filter was a K&N it may be normal. But any oil residue must be washed off the compressor wheel. Being its spinning very high RPM's a little goop in the compressor could offset the balance of the compressor wheel. Kind of like having mud in the inside of a wheel it will offset the balance. 

22 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Two when I am slowing down to turn or stop I get a ticking noise that’s fairly loud. Seems like it’s worse in 4th and 5th gear. Any ideas on that?

Possibly a cracked exhaust manifold? Loose valve lash? Educated guessing here...

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Not normal. If the old filter was a K&N it may be normal. But any oil residue must be washed off the compressor wheel. Being its spinning very high RPM's a little goop in the compressor could offset the balance of the compressor wheel. Kind of like having mud in the inside of a wheel it will offset the balance. 

Possibly a cracked exhaust manifold? Loose valve lash? Educated guessing here...

How about brake cleaner on the wheel? 

Ill look at the manifol. I just redid the valve lash a month ago. 

59 minutes ago, dripley said:

Does the ticking run with the engine rpm or wheel rpm?

Engine

I have a Banks waste gate on mine and it opens around 33 psi and I can't get that high with the Edge turned off. So in essence mine is plugged too. I have 50 hp injectors and that lets me make a little more than your stock injectors will. When you put the Quad on there it will be time for some new bigger ones. Not that you have to but from what I am seeing here you will want too.

31 minutes ago, Red Rambler said:

Make sure your BHAF isn’t rubbing any of your hard lines. I had to put a piece of hose on one of my AC lines I believe it was as it was rubbing. Just FYI. 

I’ll do that. I’m going to make a heat Sheild so that should fix it. 

42 minutes ago, dripley said:

I have a Banks waste gate on mine and it opens around 33 psi and I can't get that high with the Edge turned off. So in essence mine is plugged too. I have 50 hp injectors and that lets me make a little more than your stock injectors will. When you put the Quad on there it will be time for some new bigger ones. Not that you have to but from what I am seeing here you will want too.

Planning on 7x.085s 

I checked my manifold and don’t see any cracks. Any other ideas for that issue?