• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2000 to 2002 Steering upgrade

Hello guys I'm not sure if this has been discussed on this forum before or not. I am considering a steering upgrade for my 2000 Ram 2500. This thread is too help anyone out if they ever want to try this to. Id like to know if anyone else here has done this specific kit ill mention? The kit is from a 4th gen truck and was made specificly for upgrading third gens steering. SOmeone on Cummins Forum bought this kit for a second gen and found out that it was a awesome bolt on upgrade for second gen trucks to! Now I read that trucks with stock 16 inch wheels the stud on the end of the tie rods will hit the wheel so you have to grind off an eighth of an inch or so. I don't believe this works for 98 and 99 trucks but correct me if I'm wrong. Anyways the part # for the kit is #51122362af and that's a mopar part number. Hopefully I can try this upgrade soon but in the meantime id like to find out more about it and possibly create an article when I'm done to help others. I think you can get this kit straight from the dealer for around 350$ which is a very fair price if the upgrade is as good as mentioned. Everyone knows that our steering kind of sucks. I think that big tires and leveling kits make it worse too. This converts the steering to a t style instead of the factory y style steering. 

Edited by Marcus2000monster

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just consider this. I'm at nearly 333k miles on the clock and still haven't worn out the stock set of tie rods yet. Why upgrade if the stock steering works this good this long. The only time this does not apply is when you put larger tires on the truck now nothing holds true.

Does your truck wander? I have 285/75/16s what do you have? My steering wanders and pulls all over and I get tired of putting so much constant pressure on the wheel trying to keep it straight. I didn't think 285s were that big considering stock size of 265s. ANother advantage of the upgrade is you get a solid 1.5 inch tie rod which will help eliminate wander. 

Mike not to be a smart a** but not all of us like the look of small tires and a low to ground truck haha. I'm not a fan of big lift kits but a 1 inch level kit and some 285s are my style. being that these trucks are known for there steering I'm curious how you got your front end to last so long? You must have small tires and stock height? 

• Owner
9 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Does your truck wander?

No, absolutely not. Straight as an arrow and steering is still tight just like the day I bought the truck from the dealer Oct. 26, 2002.

10 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I have 285/75/16s what do you have?

Ditched the stock 265's and lifted a whole 1mm with 235's. Yeah, 235's are 1mm taller than the 265's so they are 1 rev per mile different. They are only 1.1 inches narrower. Big bonus they are approximately 25 pounds per tire lighter way better on MPG's and less drag for the steering. Not to mention this is the stock one-ton size used. There is actually one size smaller the 225's used also on the one-ton trucks too.

13 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Mike not to be a smart a** but not all of us like the look of small tires and a low to ground truck haha.

Your not the only one to say it... Don't worry about it. The truth is the bigger the tires the more wear and steering issues you will have. I'm proven without a doubt 235's will not create any wear or steering issues. I've only replaced 1 set of ball joints and 2 track bars now. Factory OEM tie rods, steering box and PS pump yet. Just can't kill it.

15 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

You must have small tires and stock height? 

Stock height and only 1mm of tire lift. If I want the truck leveled I just hitch up the trailer it sits dead leveled.

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No, absolutely not. Straight as an arrow and steering is still tight just like the day I bought the truck from the dealer Oct. 26, 2002.

Ditched the stock 265's and lifted a whole 1mm with 235's. Yeah, 235's are 1mm taller than the 265's so they are 1 rev per mile different. They are only 1.1 inches narrower. Big bonus they are approximately 25 pounds per tire lighter way better on MPG's and less drag for the steering. Not to mention this is the stock one-ton size used. There is actually one size smaller the 225's used also on the one-ton trucks too.

Your not the only one to say it... Don't worry about it. The truth is the bigger the tires the more wear and steering issues you will have. I'm proven without a doubt 235's will not create any wear or steering issues. I've only replaced 1 set of ball joints and 2 track bars now. Factory OEM tie rods, steering box and PS pump yet. Just can't kill it.

Stock height and only 1mm of tire lift. If I want the truck leveled I just hitch up the trailer it sits dead leveled.

You have a very good point! 

• Owner
1 minute ago, Marcus2000monster said:

You have a very good point! 

Thanks.

This knowledge came from the fact I lifted and put big tires on my old 1972 Dodge Powerwagon and end up destroying the front axle. I broke u-joints and tore up wheel bearing and busted 2 steering boxes. For what? Just to look cool. I end up running out of sources for parts to keep fixing the front axle and steering so I traded that train wreck for my 2002 Dodge and KNEW I would never make that mistake again. I didn't as you can see at nearly 333k miles and still got mostly OEM parts yet. 

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Thanks.

This knowledge came from the fact I lifted and put big tires on my old 1972 Dodge Powerwagon and end up destroying the front axle. I broke u-joints and tore up wheel bearing and busted 2 steering boxes. For what? Just to look cool. I end up running out of sources for parts to keep fixing the front axle and steering so I traded that train wreck for my 2002 Dodge and KNEW I would never make that mistake again. I didn't as you can see at nearly 333k miles and still got mostly OEM parts yet. 

Ok so I was thinking that the large number in tire size was the height! 265s would be narrower right? 

• Owner

265 / 75 R16

10.4331 Inches / 75% of 10.4331 = 7.82 inches R16

10.4" / 7.82" R16 (american measurement)

235 / 85 R16

9.25 / 85% of 9.25 = 7.86 inches R16

9.25" / 7.86" R16

tire size.png

So now you can see the first number is mm in width of tread face. The second number is the percent of the tread face in sidewall height. So now I broke it down to show metric tire sizes into American inches. Still in all the 265's weigh in at about 85 to 90 pounds where the 235's weigh in at 62 to 65 pounds. Way less rotational mass. Faster acceleration with lighter tires and wheels. More fun to beating fat tire Fords with my pizza cutters on Cummins.

1mm is equal to 0.039 inches. As you can see the 235's are 1mm taller. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

265 / 75 R16

10.4331 Inches / 75% of 10.4331 = 7.82 inches R16

10.4" / 7.82" R16 (american measurement)

235 / 85 R16

9.25 / 85% of 9.25 = 7.86 inches R16

9.25" / 7.86" R16

So now you can see the first number is mm in width of tread face. The second number is the percent of the tread face in sidewall height. So now I broke it down to show metric tire sizes into American inches. Still in all the 265's weigh in at about 85 to 90 pounds where the 235's weigh in at 62 to 65 pounds. Way less rotational mass. Faster acceleration with lighter tires and wheels. More fun to beating fat tire Fords with my pizza cutters on Cummins.

1mm is equal to 0.039 inches. As you can see the 235's are 1mm taller. 

I like the fat tire ford part! Lol what is the weight of a 285? I’m thinking about going down to 265/75/16 on my next set which is gonna be soon. 

• Owner
3 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Lol what is the weight of a 285?

Depends on the wheels. Most people I've seen about 100 pounds per wheel depends on the wheels. Just go to a tire shop and pick up a racing slick and tell me how much is weighs? Racing slices even for wide rear tires are typically 20-30 pound max! It about cutting rotational mass and adding as much traction. Tire weight does matter. 

http://hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html

• Like 1

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

Depends on the wheels. Most people I've seen about 100 pounds per wheel depends on the wheels. Just go to a tire shop and pick up a racing slick and tell me how much is weighs? Racing slices even for wide rear tires are typically 20-30 pound max! It about cutting rotational mass and adding as much traction. Tire weight does matter. 

http://hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html

Very very interesting. If you got 265s would you do 75 or 80/r16? 

• Owner

Be careful custom sizes might increase prices fast. Another reason I hung to the 235's they are really common out here and really CHEAP compared to 17's yet. Like my set I'm running now of the Hankook ATm 235/85 R16 only cost me $580 bucks for all 4 tires. Like I said Economy, performance is excellent, I've got close 30k on these tires now and still going. Drag is very minimal. MPG I'm touching 21 MPG again.

Another reason for the smaller tire... Walk out in the snow. You sink with every step. Now put on snow shoes and you can walk on top of the snow. So if you want good snow/ice traction you got to go narrower. Wide tires will float on top of the snow and ice and have less traction. Again I can out drive most fat tire Fords on the highway because of loss of traction on ice.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Be careful custom sizes might increase prices fast. Another reason I hung to the 235's they are really common out here and really CHEAP compared to 17's yet. Like my set I'm running now of the Hankook ATm 235/85 R16 only cost me $580 bucks. Like I said Economy, performance is excellent, I've got 30k on these tires now and still going. Drag is very minimal. MPG I'm touching 21 MPG again.

Another reason for the smaller tire... Walk out in the snow. You sink with every step. Now put on snow shoes and you can walk on top of the snow. So if you want good snow/ice traction you got to go narrower. Wide tires will float on top of the snow and ice and have less traction. Again I can out drive most fat tire Fords on the highway because of loss of traction on ice.

I guess I’m not aware that 265/80/16 is a custom size? My dad has gotten 80k out of BFg rugged trails 4 sets in a row on his old 06 that he sold. He now has a 2017 Laramie one ton and the factory slicks are already wearing down fast.