• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2000 to 2002 Steering upgrade

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Thanks.

This knowledge came from the fact I lifted and put big tires on my old 1972 Dodge Powerwagon and end up destroying the front axle. I broke u-joints and tore up wheel bearing and busted 2 steering boxes. For what? Just to look cool. I end up running out of sources for parts to keep fixing the front axle and steering so I traded that train wreck for my 2002 Dodge and KNEW I would never make that mistake again. I didn't as you can see at nearly 333k miles and still got mostly OEM parts yet. 

That's why I put 2.5 ton axles from duce under my mud trucks, but still managed to brake axles untill I put some chrome Molly in there :thumb1:

3 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Lol what is the weight of a 285?

285/75/17 is what I got 56lb, my next set will probably be 265 but according to toyo they are 54lb so not sure there yet.Screenshot_20180208-092313.png.447c557f762c9a807f3d002527b270a6.png

Edited by Dieselfuture

12 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Depends on the wheels. Most people I've seen about 100 pounds per wheel depends on the wheels. Just go to a tire shop and pick up a racing slick and tell me how much is weighs? Racing slices even for wide rear tires are typically 20-30 pound max! It about cutting rotational mass and adding as much traction. Tire weight does matter. 

http://hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html

Grab a NASCAR tire one day. I swear I could poke my finger thru one. Amazingly thin.

What brand of t steering are you considering. I see a synergy brand, moog and a few others. 

I have ave heard good things about Synergy [url=https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/-p-151581227.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAh_DTBRCTARIsABlT9MZJAAWDStFbCdXNTlTBqDZw63glJ7DuBTwaT8gilHE8za0UF7GARn0aAog4EALw_wcB

Edited by Red Rambler

2 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

LOL! What tires have you guys had good success with?

The best two I have run have been Micheline LTX I think, came oh the truck new, and the current ones, Cooper ATP's. Both about 65k and great service from them. The Michelines have gotten to pricey for me at near $1200 a set. The Coopers are running me about $900. No where near what @Mopar1973Man is paying for the ones he is using. MM how many miles do you think you will get?

12 minutes ago, Red Rambler said:

What brand of t steering are you considering. I see a synergy brand, moog and a few others. 

I have ave heard good things about Synergy [url=https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/-p-151581227.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAh_DTBRCTARIsABlT9MZJAAWDStFbCdXNTlTBqDZw63glJ7DuBTwaT8gilHE8za0UF7GARn0aAog4EALw_wcB

Its a mopar kit. Buy it from dealership or mopardirect.com. 

3 minutes ago, dripley said:

The best two I have run have been Micheline LTX I think, came oh the truck new, and the current ones, Cooper ATP's. Both about 65k and great service from them. The Michelines have gotten to pricey for me at near $1200 a set. The Coopers are running me about $900. No where near what @Mopar1973Man is paying for the ones he is using. MM how many miles do you think you will get?

Dad got 85k 4 sets in a row on BFG Rugged Trails... 

• Owner
30 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

No where near what @Mopar1973Man is paying for the ones he is using. MM how many miles do you think you will get?

Last set I broke over 60k miles on the Hankook ATm this batch in the photo above is nearly 30k miles now. I've got to get into town in the near future and have them rebalanced starting to see the edge feathering a bit. I'm guessing about 80k most likely if I continue to do this 3 day a week trips to Ontario, OR for 250 miles per trip.

http://www.hankooktire.com/us/passenger-cars/hankook-dynapro-at-m-rf10.html

slide1

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Last set I broke over 60k miles on the Hankook ATm this batch in the photo above is nearly 30k miles now. I've got to get into town in the near future and have them rebalanced starting to see the edge feathering a bit. I'm guessing about 80k most likely if I continue to do this 3 day a week trips to Ontario, OR for 250 miles per trip.

http://www.hankooktire.com/us/passenger-cars/hankook-dynapro-at-m-rf10.html

slide1

You know I always thought that Hankook tires were a joke. Seems they have proven to be a pretty decent tire. A friend of mine just got 60k out of his... 

• Owner
4 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

You know I always thought that Hankook tires were a joke.

What a joke is Cooper STT's and Toyo M/T those are jokes. Extremely heavy, tire poor ice/snow traction. Then to top it off roughly a 2-3 MPG lost because of rotational mass is more and rolling resistance is high from the tread pattern. Top it really good is the price typically over $1,000 for tires nope not me... Never again...

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

What a joke is Cooper STT's and Toyo M/T those are jokes. Extremely heavy, tire poor ice/snow traction. Then to top it off roughly a 2-3 MPG lost because of rotational mass is more and rolling resistance is high from the tread pattern. Top it really good is the price typically over $1,000 for tires nope not me... Never again...

I think I'm going to try a set of Hankook Dyanpro 265/75/17 tires