• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Boost Whining - Don't Think It's A Boost Leak

Background: Serviced my truck the other day and did oil change, oil filter, took off the BHAF and hit with air compressor. Went for a drive and noticed a whining sound once the boost started to build (never heard this before). Went back to the house immediately and pulled the BHAF/intake elbow and found rubber behind turbo silencer ring (see picture). I am not 100% sure where it came from. My helpful two year old could have put something in there while it was sitting on the ground, or it could have been a rubber tip that came off the air compressor attachment. Just not sure. 

Anyway, I ended up taking off all boots before and after intercooler to blow out/check the lines as well as pulled the intercooler to hit with compressed air and try to blow out any debris (only got a small piece of rubber out). Replaced everything, and whining is still present. 

So, I am still trying to figure out whats causing this sound... can't stand it!! 

The sound happened right after the service, so that leads me to believe its not a boost leak on a boot. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am open to try anything.

Photo of rubber attached. Youtube link to see video and hear boost below.

https://youtu.be/FvXuhI38BME

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3402.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

Video_Feb_04,_11_19_00_AM.mov

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I would take compressor housing off and look, but be aware you may have a boost leak where snap ring goes if you do, you can always use some rtv there too if can't stop the leak.

What should I be looking for? I have never taken one off before and am a little leery...

2 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Not good using the compressor wheel as a blender.  The compressor blades may be out of balance and/or slightly bent. 

In the picture the blade at the 4 o'clock position doesn't lock quite right or it could be the lighting.

haha no kidding! Thank goodness it was a piece of rubber and not something more dangerous.

I see what your saying there in the pic and will take another look at the blades. You think that a bent blade could cause the whining sound? Were you able to listen to the video in the youtube link? 

If a bent blade is causing the problem am I stuck with replacing them I guess?

• Owner

I tend to agree with @IBMobile . I would consider replacing the compressor wheel. While you got the turbo removed why not just rebuild it with fresh bearings. Bearing kits are less than $100 bucks and really easy to rebuild a turbo. 

0320171615.jpg.76732b80b8ba7aa7ad852384b

Then I would pull the tube from the input of the intercooler and see how much of that foam rubber is in the bottom of the intercooler or possibly stuck in the tubes. 

I've been here before too so don't feel bad...

post-2-138698196457_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

51 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I was just thinking if you took housing off you could see more and possibly something jammed in there, but if you do take the whole turbo off then might as well rebuild it like Mike mentioned above and maybe get a slightly bigger wheel. 

I hear ya... Just got to step up and make it happen. Thank you for the advice!

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I tend to agree with @IBMobile . I would consider replacing the compressor wheel. While you got the turbo removed why not just rebuild it with fresh bearings. Bearing kits are less than $100 bucks and really easy to rebuild a turbo. 

0320171615.jpg.76732b80b8ba7aa7ad852384b

Then I would pull the tube from the input of the intercooler and see how much of that foam rubber is in the bottom of the intercooler or possibly stuck in the tubes. 

I've been here before too so don't feel bad...

post-2-138698196457_thumb.jpg

Well I hate to see that and I'm glad to know it there is support through it. Looking into pulling turbo and replacing the guts.

Mike, you have seen and heard it all... thoughts on the sound in the video?

• Owner
5 minutes ago, NormaNator08 said:

thoughts on the sound in the video?

That is partially why I suggest replacing the compressor wheel not knowing if any of the blades are bent or imbalance is occurring. While the turbo is apart you can install bearing and inspect the compressor housing and see if there is any problems with the housing.  

16 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Look at the compressor housing for wheel rub marks. This will be a clue of the imbalance. If so I would suggest the bearing be changed being the turbo spins at about 25,000 RPM's quite fast.

Would the below kit be a good one to consider? First time looking into a kit like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2002-Dodge-Ram-Diesel-Turbo-HX35W-3592766-Comp-Wheel-Shaft-Rebuild-Kit-/282352735521

GYTurbo is definitely Chinese parts, but I have used their turbine and compressor wheels in a rebuild before and as far as i know, that turbo is out there in Iowa somewhere still in a compound setup.  What I did, though it costs a little more, is buy this kit:

https://www.dieselautopower.com/holset-genuine-hx35-rebuild-kit-3575169

Because it's genuine Holset.  Then I had to get the compressor wheel and turbine from GYTurbo.  But. That route costs about $160.  Reason I did that is I had a stubborn comp wheel that took out the threads on the shaft as it came off in pieces, and I had already bought the rebuild kit.

Edited by trreed

• Owner
4 hours ago, NormaNator08 said:

Would the below kit be a good one to consider? First time looking into a kit like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2002-Dodge-Ram-Diesel-Turbo-HX35W-3592766-Comp-Wheel-Shaft-Rebuild-Kit-/282352735521

NEVER buy parts from eBay just way to risky. Especially being we are taking about parts that spin at speeds of 25,000 RPM's you don't want Chinese Crap to blow up in your turbo. Holset Parts!!!

Matter fact being I'm helping with SmartyResource.Com and building them a database for MRP price policy violators... I've done some searching on eBay for some of these providers and there is no support, no contact information, nothing so if something goes wrong your out of luck. 

3 hours ago, trreed said:

GYTurbo is definitely Chinese parts, but I have used their turbine and compressor wheels in a rebuild before and as far as i know, that turbo is out there in Iowa somewhere still in a compound setup.  What I did, though it costs a little more, is buy this kit:

https://www.dieselautopower.com/holset-genuine-hx35-rebuild-kit-3575169

Because it's genuine Holset.  Then I had to get the compressor wheel and turbine from GYTurbo.  But. That route costs about $160.  Reason I did that is I had a stubborn comp wheel that took out the threads on the shaft as it came off in pieces, and I had already bought the rebuild kit.

Thank you for the feedback. I am definitely willing to spend more money American made parts. I see the kit you reference above and will most likely buy. Were the compressor wheel and turbine from GYTurbo the cheap stuff or actual Holset?

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

NEVER buy parts from eBay

I appreciate the advice and will not. Looking for the best solution (good one above by Trreed I believe). 

12 hours ago, NormaNator08 said:

Were the compressor wheel and turbine from GYTurbo the cheap stuff or actual Holset?

Pretty sure they were the cheapies.  Fit was great though, but I cannot speak for the service life of them.  Looks like there is a warranty on them.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Turbine-Wheel-Shaft-3519336-H1C-WH1C-HX35-HX35W-Ind-70-00mm-Exd-60-00mm/252257907455?hash=item3abbbe32ff:g:occAAOSwVupTmJAT&vxp=mtr

Edited by trreed