• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Missing, random codes, occasional stumble at idle

About 3 weeks ago I started to get a check engine light with a cam position sensor code, that I cannot remember the number of, a speed sensor code p0500 and a p1693. It would come up after a hard pull. I let off the throttle the tack would drop and the check engine light to come on. It continued to get worse. It also had a random miss or stumble at idle. It was very audible through the exhaust and it would just do it every once in awhile and is kind of hard to explain. Just a random blip through the exhaust. Then one night my grid heater started pulling down so hard that it would kill my headlights and dash lights. They were kicking on and off randomly off time and pulling so hard that it even killed the truck couple times. Then randomly the truck over charged and pegged the gauge out at 18 volts. Luckily this happened when I was on my way to town to change the cam sensor anyway. I got that changed out and all the symptoms disappeared. I'm about 3 days later I did another hard Pull in this time it completely cut out around 2500 rpm multiple times. Attack would drop no check engine light and it did it on any setting on my quad. Even with the quad turned off on stock settings it did it. Also the blip or miss at idle is back. It had gone away a few days after cam sensor replacement... Truck actually ran better than ever right after I replaced that...I am kind of at a loss and I just and idea stuck in my head that it's something like the ECM or vp44 even though my wait to start light kicks on right away. Any ideas would be appreciated I will attach a data log from when the truck was cutting out on hard acceleration. There should be two separate pulls one on setting 3 one on setting zero sorry for any typo..voice to speech isn't the best thing in the world sorry if the data logs overlap. I do not have a way to make these into a graph sorry

stockmiss.csv

missing.csv

I also forgot to mention that for about the last 2 or 3 weeks it has also randomly started and shut right back off about 5 times only one really cold. It has done this maybe three or four times total but each time that it does it the engine fire sup and dies about 5 times

Edited by Dodgeih

• Owner
2 hours ago, Dodgeih said:

Mine doesn't have one crank sensor..is it common for aftermarket cam sensors to fail in a week? 

If the factory one is still working leave it alone. Cam sensor typically doesn't fail like the early series with the crank sensor which was prone to failure. 333k miles on my sensor still going strong!

I forgot to mention that my fuel gauge has been acting funny and bottoming out randomly. It usually happens when cold. And also tonight I got in my truck and the trip meter on the dash decided to reset on its own to zero. I do not want to believe that I have an electrical bug any ideas help here

Now it has started to randomly rev up on its own while sitting at idle it did it once and I didn't know what the hell happened it did it again while I was standing right outside and then it did it a third time and I was able to data log it. I was sitting at idle parking brake on in neutral I did not touch anything and it randomly revved to about 1,400 RPM like a quick wide open throttle Rev. I'll attach the data log @Me78569 can you graph this and/or look at it when you get a second.. It should be right towards the end

rev.csv

• 2 weeks later...

@Mopar1973Man i did that.. made it to the last step #7 and it doesn't make much sense. Thinking that its a typo and supposed to check ohms of ground to pin #6 on vp44 connector... If so that is bouncing back and forth between 4.9-5.0 ohms.... Saw 5.1 for a second... Either way everything checks out fine...

I think I might find a used ecm to swap just to see what happens... a/c noise seem ok.. it used to be to high but has been good for 3 years or so... this and the cam sensor issue all came at once ... I don't think its grounds either but I could be wrong.. I should but all new cables anyway but those kit are expensive! So I guess I'm just kinda stuck unless anyone else has any ideas