• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 Cummins question?

It is my belief that bigger injectors allow you to utlize a different part of the ecm timing maps.

Here is the Static State Map, ( not changing rpm, tps, etc)   Y axis is rpm, X is how much fuel is being commanded.   Note how timing falls off as rpms come up in the 25 35 columns.    

timing steady state.PNG

So by using bigger injectors you need less duration to produce the same power to move down the road at a given speed.   Less duration means you are in a more advanced area of the map, and thus get more timing, which leads to better mpg.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

It is my belief that bigger injectors allow you to utlize a different part of the ecm timing maps.

Here is the Static State Map, ( not changing rpm, tps, etc)   Y axis is rpm, X is how much fuel is being commanded.   Note how timing falls off as rpms come up in the 25 35 columns.    

timing steady state.PNG

So by using bigger injectors you need less duration to produce the same power to move down the road at a given speed.   Less duration means you are in a more advanced area of the map, and thus get more timing, which leads to better mpg.

Ok thank you ,that makes sense i get it.

simply put, the truck ecm calibration is made for stock injectors.  This means that at 55 mph you need ~ %30 throttle input, the above map is using that %30 input to see what timing to command.  

By adding 50 hp injectors you might only need %25 throttle to move down the road at the same 55 mph, thus putting you in a lower part of the above map, giving you more timing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has to do with the higher cetane values of winterized fuel.  Higher cetane numbers increases the fuel's ability to self-ignite, so for Mike's truck that seems to like slightly lower timing than mine, he reduces the timing to bring the combustion event back to his truck's liking.  If that makes any sense lol.

• Like 1

Update, tore into my Dodge today and changed out the stickers for the rv275 injectors today they installed Easley my first time , truck seems much peppier on the short drive i took im happy. 

We will see how it does in the coming weeks hopefully I will get better mileage. 

Next I'll be installing a new vp44 and Fass titanium 95.

Oh I also adjusted the valves today.

• Owner
On 2/13/2018 at 8:29 AM, Me78569 said:

you gotta also remember,  Stock timing at 65 mph is ~12*, mike is running 17-18* so he is still well advanced vs the above map.

As I flip-flop between stock (level 0) and Level 3 of the Quadzilla I see roughly about 2-3 degree advancement over stock fully warmed up. This could be upside down if the fuel temperature and the IAT colder. Then I'm about 2-3 degrees retard from the colder temperatures on the fuel and IAT. Temperature plays a role in tuning yet and have to be aware of your conditions, weather, etc. In the extreme cold I've seen stock as high as 21* just cruising at 55 MPH. But the fuel was barely 45*F and the intake was 48*F.

Being my overall engine load at 65 MPH is barely 18-20% it doesn't drop off like @Me78569 mentions. But you have to remember I'm a +75HP injector so it flowing more fuel for the stated engine load. I'm waiting for the summer fuel to kick back in. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man