• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Upgrades for Towing

I have an 02 HO/6 speed with 3.54 gearing. I am looking for better towing performance and economy. What is the best way to get there? I was looking at a Quad XZT+ and a set of  RV275 injectors. I don't want to begin chasing the next parts needed to make the new parts work. Still on the stock clutch. That will be upgraded for a good towing/DD version when needed. The XZT and RVs is similar to an iQuad. Does the iQuad fit the bill for what I am looking for?

I don't want to change the turbo now because of a new set of injectors or a tuner. Looking for a good update but not crazy requiring other supporting upgrades. If I want to go fast I have another ride that fills that need.

I ran a 75hp Banks tuner and RV275'S for several years on the stock clutch form150k miles and never once slipped the clutch. That was pulling a 14.5k 5th wheel. The quad v2 would get my vote today. You dont have to tap the pump and if ever decide you want more power you would have the option to tap the pump, turn the tuner up and slap some bigger injectors in. I would have chosen that route myself had the quad been available when I bought my Edge.

• Thanks 1

• Owner

Personally come up to the full Quadzilla Adrenaline so you have full programming capability and then stay with the RV275's or +50HP injectors. This will work with a stock clutch for a very long time. I ran this combo on a Edge Comp on (5x5) for over 10 years and changed over to the Quadzilla Adrenaline. 

The best part is my current setup of +75HP injectors, Hx35/40 turbo, Quadzilla and 4" exhaust I cannot reach 1,100*F empty truck at WOT this is going upward of 90 MPH. Towing will be a different story but the tunning can be done to prevent excess EGT's if done properly also prevent clutch damage by configuring you fuel ramp rate slower so to keep from shocking the clutch.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input. So to start, iQuad first and add injectors when I can convince the CFO (wife) they are needed? A year from now or so? will I see a good performance and economy change with stock injectors and adding the iQuad? I like the change for the injectors like the RVs or similar. When a part needs to be replaced I will upgrade it to be better for performance or improved durability but not at the expense of needing more. 

You definitely want start with the injectors I  my opinion, although both would be the best. Injectors are cheaper to start with. But maybe getting the price if the tuner by the CFO first would make the less expensive injectors more palatable in the future.

• Owner
55 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

What is a Iquad v2 ?  Is that a whole different unit than the quadzilla adrenaline ?

It's the upgraded software version of the Quadzilla version 1 to Quadzilla version 2 software. Better tuning and better control.

56 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

Would a Fass titanium 95 gph support that?

Should be capable of handling Quadzilla.

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

75 to 100 HP injectors are very possible with the Quadzilla no longer limited to the small RV275 injectors. Even bigger injectors can be used.

Without the Quadzilla for a while? Was looking at the DAP injectors. SAC or VCO? Aftermarket vs Bosch bodies? I'm guessing that is why a core charge for one type and not the other. Any other parts needed for the installation?

I wouldn't count on the stock clutch holding up with anything over 75 hp, especially towing.  The HO clutch is notorious for holding slightly less hp than the SO clutch merely because of the smaller material surface area.....even though its larger in diameter.  Yes, I understand that goes against the logic of the HO clutch design but ask the clutch companies and they'll tell you they use the larger HO diameter with the SO plate material size.

I ran my SO stock clutch on the Edge EZ for many miles of towing until I added the 4" straight exhaust.  That was apparently the straw.....  So when I upgraded the clutch I got some RV275's.  LOVE the combo.