• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift Pump Question

10 hours ago, dripley said:

My AD has one supply and one return. Not all pumps are set up this way. Some do nothing but pump fuel with no return line.

There is a factory return line correct? Is an aftermarket one needed?

A few more questions guys. I am designing and building my own fuel filtration system. I feel like I can do the same thing as a fass or airdog without the extra money. My question is what lift pump would best suit me for a max of 450 horsepower? Would my current airtex support that? (Plans are to relocate whatever pump I get and 1/2 inch lines all the way around. Also a Vulcan Big Line Kit from filter to injection pump) 

You can build your own filter setup from Vulcan for about $120.  Then you're gonna need hose.  If you do a standalone pump you're gonna need a regulator as well.  the airtex would not be a good choice to use.  

There is a factory return, and there will be an aftermarket return from the regulator

• Like 1

There is a factory return from the VP and the cylinder head. My AD return is there to return fuel with air in it so it does not go to the engine. That is not all it does just the only I can remember at the moment.  As far as putting your own sytem together, go fof it. But get all your pricing together first. I would be surprised if you can put one together for less that does the same job as a full AD or FASS system. I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, trreed said:

You can build your own filter setup from Vulcan for about $120.  Then you're gonna need hose.  If you do a standalone pump you're gonna need a regulator as well.  the airtex would not be a good choice to use.  

There is a factory return, and there will be an aftermarket return from the regulator

I can build the filter setup for 85 dollars. Using Fleetgaurd filter heads linked together. What would you suggest for a pump?

1 minute ago, dripley said:

There is a factory return from the VP and the cylinder head. My AD return is there to return fuel with air in it so it does not go to the engine. That is not all it does just the only I can remember at the moment.  As far as putting your own sytem together, go fof it. But get all your pricing together first. I would be surprised if you can put one together for less that does the same job as a full AD or FASS system. I could be wrong.

Don't worry I'm getting all pricing together before going after it. Iv heard bad things about Raptor and DDRP so I'm pretty well confused lol. Obviuously If I had the money I would just get a FASS 95 Titanium. 

Good.  keep shopping like that.  Myself and another member here have very similar self-built systems that we are about $850 into.

That's great! I like to build everything I can on my own lol. I see that you can buy a different pressure spring for the DDRP to raise pressure even more?

I an very unfamiliar with the DDRP.  I think it does have the ball and spring setup in it.

IM pretty sure this is one of the hardest decisions of my life lol. SO many different opinions and so many failure reports of every single one. I'm getting real tempted to do my filter setup and a DDRP with the upgraded pressure spring and DIY relocation kit. Whats the opinions on that? 

If someone can get me a FASS Titanium 95 for 500$ I'm gonna go for it! LOL!! :moon:

1 hour ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I understand I was just mentioning those for use with my system. 

Iv read some good stuff about Walbro pumps but Idk if that's a good option. Thoughts?

If you put the quad on you will be replacing it. Walbro, airtex are not up to the task. My thought is a full FASS or AD or a mechanical pump. You see what @trreed has in his. I am not trying to discourage you from trying but if put a system together don't skimp on the parts you use. You are only as good as your weakest part.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dripley said:

If you put the quad on you will be replacing it. Walbro, airtex are not up to the task. My thought is a full FASS or AD or a mechanical pump. You see what @trreed has in his. I am not trying to discourage you from trying but if put a system together don't skimp on the parts you use. You are only as good as your weakest part.

I believe you! I’ll do some thinking! :pray:

• Owner

I feel like I can do the same thing as a fass or airdog without the extra money.

Air Separation you won't be able to do. The filter head is design with 2 fittings and straw in the center. So actual engine fuel is delivered from the bottom of the filter and the air rises up and leaves at the top fitting.  You can see what I mean kind of in this picture the filter is in on the left fitting.

post-2-138698180159_thumb.jpg

What would you suggest for a pump?

No DDRP pumps. Most of these do not have the full size fittings for 1/2" plumbing. The problem with stand-alone pumps there is no 3rd port for return these pump are more common for cavitation issues because they just return the pressure back to the inlet of the pump.  

Image result for fass pump

• Like 2