• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

No clear winner, powerwise..

ISX

ThanksWish I could get more but it is such a PITA to find things to factor in. I got everything I can think of, now it's just down to stumbling on things from google. I might have to find an engine engineering forum or something and post the excel thing and ask what else I could factor in. :shrug: Hmm, I might just do that today. :hyper:

Nope, got kicked off the forum and dismembered before I could even see the posts. I got all the emails saying I had a million posts to it but the thread is gone, and I got kicked. No clue what I did wrong. I have posted on a few engineering ones before and haven't got anywhere. I might have to go to the bookstore and find those 1000 page engine design books or something. Can't believe how hard this is becoming.

I want to see a spreadsheet that compares the number of parts and cost of parts and service on each engine. I will guess that repairing a DMAX or Powerstroke is much more expensive than repairing a Cummins. My Cummins is easier to repair than my Magnum V6 in my Dodge Dakota IMO and they are both pretty roomy around the engine. The Powerstroke and DMAX just look cluttered.My dad always said that cluttered engine bays meant higher labor charges. So a good point to compare. Most buy diesels for long term durability and fuel mileage so maintenance is always a factor.

I want to see a spreadsheet that compares the number of parts and cost of parts and service on each engine. I will guess that repairing a DMAX or Powerstroke is much more expensive than repairing a Cummins. My Cummins is easier to repair than my Magnum V6 in my Dodge Dakota IMO and they are both pretty roomy around the engine. The Powerstroke and DMAX just look cluttered. My dad always said that cluttered engine bays meant higher labor charges. So a good point to compare. Most buy diesels for long term durability and fuel mileage so maintenance is always a factor.

I could do that, but, how do I know how many parts there are on a duramax and powerstroke? How do I get a price on the parts when there will always be a place cheaper? How do I get a service quote when they will be all around on price too? If there was a solid way to do it then I could, but all of those factors are so variable that you can't really chart them and say, OK the duramax costs the most.. If you have an idea of how to do it then let me know and I will get a spreadsheet going :thumbup2:

cummins vs. the others...six in a row makes em go...cummins has 40% less moving parts.a diesel was designed to be in the inline configuration...i always push this in the ford and chevy guys face...raise the hood on a peterbuilt....what do you see...not a v8...a inline baby!!!:smart:

cummins vs. the others...six in a row makes em go...cummins has 40% less moving parts.a diesel was designed to be in the inline configuration...i always push this in the ford and chevy guys face...raise the hood on a peterbuilt....what do you see...not a v8...a inline baby!!!:smart:

Yeah but I am trying to figure out exactly what it is about an I6 that gives it the edge. I want statistical proof! I am almost to the point of buying an engine engineering book or something.

Yeah but I am trying to figure out exactly what it is about an I6 that gives it the edge. I want statistical proof! I am almost to the point of buying an engine engineering book or something.

It is all in the physics, longer connecting rods, longer throw on the crank. Like I said in a previous post, turn a crank with a short arm, versus a long arm. Which crank is going to turn the load easiest? And that longer stroke is why the I6 runs at lower RPMs then the V8.

It is all in the physics, longer connecting rods, longer throw on the crank. Like I said in a previous post, turn a crank with a short arm, versus a long arm. Which crank is going to turn the load easiest? And that longer stroke is why the I6 runs at lower RPMs then the V8.

That previous post was where I got the idea for the thing I had in green, which clearly shows the I6 advantage. I have been trying to figure out other means of proving it statistically but have been at a loss in finding formulas.